5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Test drove a '21 F150 and Ram 1500 back to back

dynastyss

Reaction score
I had test drove a 2020 Ram Limited last year and will eventually, post WFH, buy the truth to add to our stable. I saw a '21 F150 review and figured I would try and test drive them again, but back to back.

I drove a $73k pretty loaded Lariat hybrid first. I will say the interior is way nicer than before. I liked the seats, the leather, the digital dash, the 12" screen and most of the interior a lot. Took her out for a ride though and it is pretty clear it is very truck-y. Rides like a truck, and while that may be a selling point to some, it is the ride characteristics of the Ram that sold me.

Rode the $68k Laramie next with the 5.7. I overall still really like the interior, but do think the Ford digital dash and the 12" screen are crisper. I hope the 2022 Ram replaces the dash, but I haven't heard anything yet. Overall though, the truck does ride smoother and it felt like the 5.7 to me was faster, but on paper that may not be the case. At the very least she sounds better. I will say though, the Ram wasn't as luxury riding as I remembered, but that could be due to the fact my tester didn't have the air suspension? I am not so sure I want that for reliability reasons though...

Long story short, I still think I would get the Ram, but the F150 has made a much improved truck. The generator is slick, the interior is much nicer, it looks pretty good. Hopefully ram makes a few tweaks for 2022 and I will go buy a ecodiesel

wallyuwl

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Did the RAM have 22"? That with no air suspension is a rough ride.

Current Ford build quality is what RAM's reputation was 15 to 20 years ago. Not good. I had a 2018 F150.

BowDown

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
68k Laramie? Damn that's pricey. Is the Lariat Ford’s equivalent of the Laramie?
I think the digital dash in the Lariat looks cheap as in they could have done a better job with the graphics given its a completely digital.
I think rams 12" touch screen is at least as good if not better, the problem with the ram with both 12" and the dash evic is they don't offer enough features. The product itself is good but there's not a lot of feature offerings in the 12" touch screen.
IMO they should give the touch screen more features like truck modes similar to what they've done in the TRX

Last edited:

SKT Customs

5thGenRams Vendor
5thGenRams Vendor
Reaction score
I drove a new $72k F150 Lariat & I was impressed by the quality of the leather, the digital gauges, and the ride quality; but honestly my (MSRP) $53k Big Horn was nicer in almost every other aspect. I like Ram’s infotainment system a million times better. The fords looked like crap and was so complicated to operate compared to ram! The ram’s rear view camera is about 1000x better than ford’s. The overall interior design of the f150 is a huge improvement, but I still prefer the way the Ram looks & functions. And as for powertrain, I know that the f150 ecoboost is faster - quite a bit faster actually - but it just didn’t really feel that different than the ram. Ram’s 8 speed trans is so much more intuitive and responsive than Ford’s 10 speed! That’s just my opinion :)

moosem

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Did the RAM have 22"? That with no air suspension is a rough ride.

Current Ford build quality is what RAM's reputation was 15 to 20 years ago. Not good. I had a 2018 F150.
It’s hard to imagine that the build quality is any worse than a 5th Gen RAM...just saying. They’re not that good! I still like my truck, don’t get me wrong, but build quality is not one of its best qualities! Every time I turn around something else is falling off or loose! Doors don’t lineup, wind noise, the list goes on and on and on.

moosem

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I am very seriously considering test driving one. I just hit 30k miles on my truck and I’ve had enough quality issues to make me a bit nervous to keep it beyond the warranty period. The latest is my passenger side view mirror is loose, just kind of flops around. Mind you, I’ve already had both side view mirrors replaced for two different issues... rear sliding window, issues with Uconnect, terrible wind noise over 60MPH (even worse when it’s windy out, my wife always reaches for the window switch cause she thinks the window is cracked —- nope), front bumper misalignment, door misalignment.....on and on and on.. I don’t know, maybe they’re all the same. It’s worth a test drive at least.

Runagun

Reaction score
It’s hard to imagine that the build quality is any worse than a 5th Gen RAM...just saying. They’re not that good! I still like my truck, don’t get me wrong, but build quality is not one of its best qualities! Every time I turn around something else is falling off or loose! Doors don’t lineup, wind noise, the list goes on and on and on.
It's quite possible factory was rampant with Corona while your car was being built. Do your brakes work?

Malodave

Ram Guru
Reaction score
68k Laramie? Damn that's pricey.
My Laramie's MSRP was $71,155.

I ordered the Laramie then optioned it up to a Limited level because I did not like
a bunch of stuff on the limited. The only other things I would have liked to get are
the LED projector headlights and the rear ventilated seats. Build below in Signature

Malodave

Rammit

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The Ford trucks have been resting on their laurels for at least the last 10 years. The fleet sells and reputation have allowed them to get very complacent. I couldn’t believe how bad the interior and ride quality of the 2020 and below trucks. They even Velcrod on plastic cab corners on it. It does seem that they have taken notice and the 2021 seems to have stepped it up a notch. Hopefully they fixed the wavy aluminum sides. I’m sure it will still sell well, but not me, I will stick with my Ram

moosem

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It's quite possible factory was rampant with Corona while your car was being built. Do your brakes work?
My truck was manufactured on May 21, 2018.. way before Covid. Yes, my brakes work. They howl sometimes in reverse tho!

Last edited:

Reaction score
I bought a '19 GT, my first new sports car and it was flawless but after 18K and having motorcycles scratching the acceleration itch, and having a '10 2500HD that I bought in '15 with 86K and I loved, I traded for a '20 XLT, 5.0, 10sp 3.55, 4x4 Crew Cab. I assumed after the GT experience the F150 would be just as good, my intent was to sell the 2500HD to pay off a motorcycle.

Bad mistake, I didn't look at the competition and the F150 had a lot of electrical issues and after four months and 6K I knew I needed to get out of it as I hated it.

Auto/Start-Stop button would be engaged when I started the truck (actually a good feature, but not normal), LCD would go black and not return for hours, dash dimmer lights would change from mostly dim to full bright without touching the button, Sync3 would not connect to Carplay often, phone would not connect often.

The dealership where I bought it and the GT would not make a deal trading for another '20 on the lot, that I understand since the dealer sells vehicles for Ford, lemons are a manufacturer issue. I planned to keep taking it to service for the electrical issues and then go to arbitration with Ford but I ended up trading for my '21 Lonestar, QC, 4x4, 5.7 with 3.92's and stayed in the black getting 0% financing and despite the four payments.

I drove a '21 F150 XLT and the interior is miles ahead of the '20 XLT, the '20 was more like a work truck to me.

The interesting difference to me was the '21 5.0 pulled much, much better with 3.73's compared to my '20 with 3.55's.

I owned a '99 and '03 Ram 4x4 QC 4x4's and the '21 is light years ahead in build quality and styling, I am very happy now.

moosem

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You need an F150. Seems like the truck you have is not fit for you

Like I stated, I like my truck.. but to say it has superior build quality is a false statement. I’ve had mine for 2.5 years now. How long have you had yours?

21bighorn

Reaction score
Like I stated, I like my truck.. but to say it has superior build quality is a false statement. I’ve had mine for 2.5 years now. How long have you had yours?
I’m still waiting on my order since 12/18/2020. But I am a Chrysler Master Technician for 30 years. I’ve fixed everything on these trucks. Btw did you know they have a 3/36 base warranty on these trucks to cover these types of issues. FOR FREE. All it takes is a phone call for an appt, tell them what’s wrong (in your opinion) and take it in to be properly diagnosed by a trained professional and then repaired to factory specifications. Seems simple enough to me.....

Fatherof3

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I don’t have any of the problems you mention with yours ( not saying you don’t have the problems ) . My doors line up perfect , no wind noise even at 90mph , no rattles or any other weird noises .
You’re not the first person to say they’ve had those problems either .

ldoh

Reaction score
I'd be surprised if the Ram Hemi was anywhere near as quick as the 24mpg ecoboost hybrid.

moosem

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’m still waiting on my order since 12/18/2020. But I am a Chrysler Master Technician for 30 years. I’ve fixed everything on these trucks. Btw did you know they have a 3/36 base warranty on these trucks to cover these types of issues. FOR FREE. All it takes is a phone call for an appt, tell them what’s wrong (in your opinion) and take it in to be properly diagnosed by a trained professional and then repaired to factory specifications. Seems simple enough to me.....
Thanks, now I know what a warranty is for!! To do all the QC that should have been done at the factory!!
I just love spending all my time at the dealership!! It’s awesome! But, hey at least it’s covered!! My time isn’t valuable or anything!!

Users who are viewing this thread