5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Terrible Dealer Experiences

GFK51

Reaction score
I am a relatively new member here and am interested in members writing about horrible dealer experiences when buying a RAM. My opinion is that the dealership should be named and what did the dealer do to make the buying process horrible. Naming these dealerships could help future buyers avoid the problems that are associated with the salesman or the finance department. I was just thinking about this and if you think that this is not a good ideal just let me know, I will not be offended.

KCViper

Reaction score
Personally, I think it is appropriate to address any issues directly with the dealership and only resort to naming names on a forum as a last resort, but to each their own. I will say that when I ordered my truck and agreed on price, the SA, who my brother had a 6 year relationship with, did not write down the figures. Truck comes in and the price goes up by over $1600. I met with the dealership GM and he makes it right, and then some. Moral of this lesson, get everything in writing!

c3k

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Personally, I think it is appropriate to address any issues directly with the dealership and only resort to naming names on a forum as a last resort, but to each their own. I will say that when I ordered my truck and agreed on price, the SA, who my brother had a 6 year relationship with, did not write down the figures. Truck comes in and the price goes up by over $1600. I met with the dealership GM and he makes it right, and then some. Moral of this lesson, get everything in writing!
This.
If you make a verbal agreement, in this day and age, it's a simple matter to write it on a sheet of paper or send a quick text or email.

z0n3

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I don't think this would be a bad idea. When I ordered my 2021 we made an agreement on price before any rebates. When the truck arrived and I went to sign papers the price suddenly was like $3-4k more than when we talked and the sales guy said the pricing I was given before was based on current rebates. Well, unfortunately for him I had emails on my phone of the other associate I worked with stating the price we agreed on was before any rebates. After I showed him those he scrambled for a while to make the numbers work and I was sent on my way in my new truck. Don't even think about ordering a truck without getting it in writing somehow. Also... be specific.

Last edited:

jth877

Reaction score
Dealerships are out to make money. We are trying to get the best deal. After an agreed upon price in writing is made that should be the end of the shenanigans. That doesn't happen all the time. Sometimes the dealer goes back on their word and sometimes the customer does. This isn't brand specific for the most part. I will say I am unimpressed the RAM buying experience more than any other brand and had quite a fight afterwards to the point of never going back.

Love the truck so far. If I buy another RAM, it will be at a different dealer.

SilasB

Reaction score
I'd replace vehicles more often if it wasn't for dealerships. They're 100% the worst part of the process. Amazon should sell trucks. :unsure:

cervelo15

Reaction score
I don't think this would be a bad idea. When I ordered my 2021 we made an agreement on price before any rebates. When the truck arrived and I went to sign papers the price suddenly was like $3-4k more than when we talked and the sales guy said the pricing I was given before was based on current rebates. Well, unfortunately for him I had emails on my phone of the other associate I worked with stating the price we agreed on was before any rebates. After I showed him those he scrambled for a while to make the numbers work and I was sent on my way in my new truck. Don't even think about ordering a truck without getting it in writing somehow. Also... be specific.
This is exactly the reason why I decided to buy my current Ram vs lease it. Leased for 10+ years and this situation happened every time I went to get into a new lease. Now I don’t have to deal with this for at least 6 years, or maybe longer. Couldn’t be happier.

cdn.tbird

Reaction score
I have to ask. Is this verbal agreement thing an American thing? I have never left a dealership without a paper contract.

I'm the type to research my vehicle purchases to death, so most times I'll know as much if not more about the vehicle than the guy I'm buying it off of. Maybe this is why I've never had what I would call a bad buying experience.

Service Advisors on the other hand are a different story. I won't deal with a couple of dealerships because of bad service experiences.

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If memory serves me right, Dodge dealers in particular have had historically low sales experience scores. Of course since the demise of standalones and Plymouth, they're all corporate stores now (CDJR). I've sent five people to my dealer and only one left with buying a vehicle and the ones that didn't were turned off by the way they were handled, how the sales staff acted in general, and especially how the price changed once they got to the closer.

Fortunate for me, the service department is very responsive and top-notch and treats me well.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 03 June 2018. Now at: 047848 miles.

KCViper

Reaction score
Having bought several $100k (+) cars I can say that the buying experience with MB, Porsche and Lamborghini is so very different than buying at a FCA dealership. Interesting enough, Ram TRX is upwards of $100k and many FCA models are well over $50k, yet their dealerships (sales tactics and physical spaces) are literally like they were 20 years ago. Seems like FCA needs to up their game and provide a better sales experience!! Will it ever rival MB, Porsche, Lamborghini, no, but there is certainly room for improvement!

realralfy

Reaction score
I love my Ram, but the dealer experience was not very good. Everyone there (except the F&I guy) just seems miserable...sales people, sales managers, service techs and writers, etc ... I have owned GM, Ford, Mercedes, Porsche, BMW, Infiniti, Acura....and while I don't expect the premium treatment that one gets with the premium brands....I was stunned to get such poor customer service compared to GM and Ford...

Ram dealers have to be the most disorganized and unsophisticated of any brand....

FCA has got a lot of work to do to change this culture...

Users who are viewing this thread