5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Temp change issues

Moe1962

Reaction score
I know these forums usually have the people that have problems, but does anybody have a 19 and up ram that the AC/Heat works correctly without hack. I keep wanting to buy one but I need to quit reading these forums or I never will. I'm guess I'm more amazed that FCA hasn't done something about it.
I have a Big Horn and both the AC and Heat seems to work fine. It was 117 one day that my truck sat in a parking lot all day. Put AC on max and 4 miles later, it was at 87. With the temp set at 70, 5 miles after that, I had to turn it off of max fan. No hack on my system.

FastBlackRam

Reaction score
My climate control works just fine. No hack. I live in central FL so my climate control is cooling 99% of the time. I am on AUTO mode at 71 or 72 for that 99%. When the vehicle has been sitting in the sun and is very hot inside, I find the AUTO setting just blasts as it should. I have never even had to select MAX AC!!! On that rare occasion when I need a little heat I just turn it up to 75 or 76 with seat ventilation heating and the heated steering wheel occasionally and it is comfortable.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
I’m on the other camp. My truck is always on Auto. No issues.

I’ve only had problems twice, where the AC was not cooling, but it seems it was the UConnect acting up. Once I restarted the truck, the cooling started again. This happened two or three times.

Truck does take a bit longer to cool than pretty much other vehicle I’ve owned though.
For comparison, my son’s base Tacoma will freeze your bollocks from the moment you turn on the engine :p.

Timeless

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I know these forums usually have the people that have problems, but does anybody have a 19 and up ram that the AC/Heat works correctly without hack. I keep wanting to buy one but I need to quit reading these forums or I never will. I'm guess I'm more amazed that FCA hasn't done something about it.

I had similar reservations especially after test driving a 2019 and being underwhelmed during the summer last year.

Decided to take a chance and got mine Nov last year knowing it might have an issue come summer 2020.

I would say so far it is acceptable. Not as good as any previous vehicle I have owned...and I have owned a LOT.

However, the remote start letting it cool down before leaving work definitely makes the ride home (15-20 mins) comfortable. By the half way point home I am actually getting cold and usually turn up the temp.

Palmermad

Reaction score
Just so everyone knows, I just bought a brand new 2022 Laramie, and it has the exact same issue. Was anyone ever able to understand/address the underlying issue?

gHiDoRa

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It seems as if whatever physical part that controls the changing of my climate control doesn’t work. I often have to go all the way to the extreme HI (heat) or LOW (cold) in order to get the temperature coming out of the vents to change.

For example; it was 60ish out tonight and my truck was blowing cold air even with the climate manually set to 80 (truck fully warmed up and 75 mph). I set it to HI and it got very hot. I SLOWLY turned the temp down to 70 and the temp coming out of the vents barely changed and remained very hot. It wasn’t until I turned it to “low” that the temp coming out the vents finally cooled down.

The same happened when going from LOW to HIGH. The temp barely changed and remained cold even at 80 when coming from LOW. The temp remained cold until I turned it to HI at which point it got very hot.

I did this numerous times in both directions (hot to cold, and cold to hot). I left it at a set temp multiple times to see if there was a delay (1 minute) and the temp never changed.
What could be causing the lack of change in the temp coming out of the vents when changing the temperature dial?
*for clarification A/C was NOT on during tonight’s test, but from prior “On the fly tests” it seemed to also fail to change temperature.
Not happen to my 2019 RAM but my wife Toyota had issue just you, the system only recognized Hi or Low temp setting, Hot or Cold, no warm or chill. I found out that the temp. control module located behind the panel under steering wheel was some how disconnected, after reconnect she can set the temp. the way she like, hope this will help.

Jp306

Reaction score
I'm a new truck owner and also have climate control complaints. It'll blow HOT whether it's on 84 or 64. I have to crank it all the way down to get it cooler. I've been tempted to get a thermometer to monitor and document it so I verify what's going on.
I see it’s been a long time since this post, but I saw you had issues with the HVAC staying hot regardless of setting other than LO.
Did you ever find a solution to this? I’m looking at dealer trip #3, same symptoms you describe.

Pertzbro

Reaction score
This wont help - but 99% of the time i have it set on the hottest or coldest setting depending on the season and then just adjust the fan speed. I only use the 69-74 temp range when on really long road trips.

Users who are viewing this thread