5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

TazerDT on 2022 not working good

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Received my Tazer DT today.
Updated the firmware with the software on a computer which worked great and then installed it in the truck
Have to say i'm extremely frustrated and unimpressed so far.

It's almost impossible to navigate the menus because radio information keeps popping up over it no matter what so I get weird half menu half radio words. Half of the time when pressing cancel it doesn't like to change the item it's on.

The options I can find in the Live settings simply don't work such as turn signals triggering the camera.
Cooldown mode doesn't work, and doesn't change trans temp to showing at 229F like the instructions say.
I might of changed my tire size by mistake because the menu wasn't loading and then said "tire size saved", hopefully it was the correct size as I didn't hit the + or -.
The Set Panic doesn't even show up in the menu and it loops around and it looks like several lighting options are missing in the menu per the instructions such as Set DRL Type and Set DRL Location (doesn't show up in the menu)

The one thing I could get to work was nav in motion

Did I get a bad unit or are these devices worthless on an 22 or am I doing something wrong?

ekaz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Received my Tazer DT today.
Updated the firmware with the software on a computer which worked great and then installed it in the truck
Have to say i'm extremely frustrated and unimpressed so far.

It's almost impossible to navigate the menus because radio information keeps popping up over it no matter what so I get weird half menu half radio words. Half of the time when pressing cancel it doesn't like to change the item it's on.

The options I can find in the Live settings simply don't work such as turn signals triggering the camera.
Cooldown mode doesn't work, and doesn't change trans temp to showing at 229F like the instructions say.
I might of changed my tire size by mistake because the menu wasn't loading and then said "tire size saved", hopefully it was the correct size as I didn't hit the + or -.
The Set Panic doesn't even show up in the menu and it loops around and it looks like several lighting options are missing in the menu per the instructions such as Set DRL Type and Set DRL Location (doesn't show up in the menu)

The one thing I could get to work was nav in motion

Did I get a bad unit or are these devices worthless on an 22 or am I doing something wrong?
The menu is a challenge for sure, I've mentioned it to them and I keep a hard copy of the menu tree so I have an idea. I think cooldown mode only works on the TRX.

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I contacted Z auto Support about that, and they told me to reload the firmware. I haven’t done it yet

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
The menu is a challenge for sure, I've mentioned it to them and I keep a hard copy of the menu tree so I have an idea. I think cooldown mode only works on the TRX.
I'm using the hard copy but the problem is the menu doesn't like to change.

Might take me 5-6 presses to change to the next option then other times it changes instantly. Kind of hard to describe it's almost like it's trying to view key presses but they are being filtered out. The re-writing of the radio over whatever text it has is really wonky too, there's no way to stop the screen from refreshing the text, even if it just says "audio muted"

I don't care about cooldown mode but I was just trying to see what I could get to work and so far it's only nav in motion which is nice but not $330 nice.

Ill need to mess around with it a little more but it looks like it's going to go back to zautomotive at this rate. Sucks because it looks like there is a %10 "restocking fee"

I contacted Z auto Support about that, and they told me to reload the firmware. I haven’t done it yet
What do you mean reload the firmware?
I just updated it. Came with 18.1.1 and I updated it to 18.1.5 which is the current one. I can re-flash it but that's kinda weird considering I updated it before I even used it.

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I'm using the hard copy but the problem is the menu doesn't like to change.

Might take me 5-6 presses to change to the next option then other times it changes instantly. Kind of hard to describe it's almost like it's trying to view key presses but they are being filtered out. The re-writing of the radio over whatever text it has is really wonky too, there's no way to stop the screen from refreshing the text, even if it just says "audio muted"

I don't care about cooldown mode but I was just trying to see what I could get to work and so far it's only nav in motion which is nice but not $330 nice.

Ill need to mess around with it a little more but it looks like it's going to go back to zautomotive at this rate. Sucks because it looks like there is a %10 "restocking fee"

What do you mean reload the firmware?
I just updated it. Came with 18.1.1 and I updated it to 18.1.5 which is the current one. I can re-flash it but that's kinda weird considering I updated it before I even used it.
Here’s what I’m experiencing. I originally updated before using also. I noticed even on the firmware that didn’t have problems, you have to advance through the menus slowly.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Here’s what I’m experiencing. I originally updated before using also. I noticed even on the firmware that didn’t have problems, you have to advance through the menus slowly.
Mine doesn't flow like. I'm going to give it a whirl again and see how it goes.

Do you know if you go into change tire size which I guess I did by mistake, if it defaults to whatever OEM is\what it already was set at? I for sure only clicked cruse ctrl and cancel but it claimed tire size set and I don't wanna find out i'm speeding more then I think and get pulled over -_-

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Update, nav in motion doesn't work. I thought it did but that was because I was only moving in my driveway.

As of right now NO LIVE FEATURES work on Tazer DT firmware version 18.1.5 on a 2022 1500 Limited.
What a worthless chunk of plastic

These are features that do not work that I have tested so far
TurnCAM (does nothing)
Enable navigation entry in-motion (doesn't work on the home page or nav page)
Cooldown mode (does nothing)
AutoStartStop Disable (it doesn't remember the status when turned off)
Turn Assist (enabling it does nothing)
ParkCAM

Features that do work
AmberDRL (this isn't actually the DRL it just forces the amber blinkers on as if I turn on DRL in my radio it lights up the bottom)

I emailed support but ive no idea what they are going to email me back and say. It's not like 1 or 2 features arent working, there is 0 reason for me to keep this piece of junk in it's current state as it doesn't do anything worth $50, let alone over $300.

jives

Reaction score
This is good info. I was considering for sticky auto stop/start disable and folding mirrors automatically but this sounds like a nightmare I'd rather avoid at least for the time being.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
This is good info. I was considering for sticky auto stop/start disable and folding mirrors automatically but this sounds like a nightmare I'd rather avoid at least for the time being.
Ill test the auto folding mirrors tomorrow for you. I have no interest for that so I didn't test it. I basically only wanted this device to allow me to do stuff in motion like the camera, nav, and remembering start-stop.

I did email zauto twice today so ill see if they respond and then likely go the route of returning it and refusing to pay a restocking fee on a busted product.
I can't believe I don't see other people with 2022s posting about this, never have I seen someone have all this stuff not work.

ekaz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Folding mirrors work, I have that feature active on my truck. If the parkcam is the one that turns on the front cam with the sensors, it works too. My issue with parkcam is that sometimes it gets stuck with the camera on when the sensors turn off. When I pull out of my garage I get close to a garbage can , triggers the front sensors for a second but then I need to shift to reverse at times to reset things.
I haven't tried the others yet.

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Ill test the auto folding mirrors tomorrow for you. I have no interest for that so I didn't test it. I basically only wanted this device to allow me to do stuff in motion like the camera, nav, and remembering start-stop.

I did email zauto twice today so ill see if they respond and then likely go the route of returning it and refusing to pay a restocking fee on a busted product.
I can't believe I don't see other people with 2022s posting about this, never have I seen someone have all this stuff not work.
Some people understand more than others how software development works and how bugs are not worked out of the new software yet. It will change with time, but it sounds like the best course of action for you is just getting a refund.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
When scrolling through menu and selecting option, do you have cruise control on? And when you use the cruise on/off button to selection an option, you have to remember to hit it again, by itself, to turn cruise back on, for next selection. Of course I have the Pulsar in my truck so having cruise on is required to use TazerDT.

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
When scrolling through menu and selecting option, do you have cruise control on? And when you use the cruise on/off button to selection an option, you have to remember to hit it again, by itself, to turn cruise back on, for next selection. Of course I have the Pulsar in my truck so having cruise on is required to use TazerDT.
Did you talk to zAuto about that behavior? That sounds unintended.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Did you talk to zAuto about that behavior? That sounds unintended.
What sounds unintended? Having to have cruise control on to use the Tazer? It was part of their instructions on older firmware. They called it "compatibility mode" for use with the Pulsar. They have since stopped "supporting" the dual use with the Pulsar in last few updates, but the function to use the TazerDT with cruise enabled along with the Pulsar still works

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
What sounds unintended? Having to have cruise control on to use the Tazer? It was part of their instructions on older firmware. They called it "compatibility mode" for use with the Pulsar. They have since stopped "supporting" the dual use with the Pulsar in last few updates, but the function to use the TazerDT with cruise enabled along with the Pulsar still works
Ahhhh, ok. I thought you just meant the tazer in general. Didn’t realize there was a different sequence when used in conjunction with the Pulsar.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Ahhhh, ok. I thought you just meant the tazer in general. Didn’t realize there was a different sequence when used in conjunction with the Pulsar.
It was just a suggestion for him to try making the changes with cruise on.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Folding mirrors work, I have that feature active on my truck. If the parkcam is the one that turns on the front cam with the sensors, it works too. My issue with parkcam is that sometimes it gets stuck with the camera on when the sensors turn off. When I pull out of my garage I get close to a garbage can , triggers the front sensors for a second but then I need to shift to reverse at times to reset things.
I haven't tried the others yet.
Does the camera turn on when you hit the blinkers? Mine does not. Also camera in motion doesn't work. I may not of gotten close enough to trigger the parkcam maybe? Ideally the camera would already be on so it wouldn't matter but since I can't use camera in motion because it doesn't work then...?
Some people understand more than others how software development works and how bugs are not worked out of the new software yet. It will change with time, but it sounds like the best course of action for you is just getting a refund.
I understand software development works. This is essentially pre-alpha grade software because the functionality is not there. All of the "not live" features are things I have done with Alfaodb and a $11 odb to BT device. I think on some peoples trucks it works but for my 2022 Limited there is less then 10% functionality of the device so it's not ready to claim to "support" my truck.
I thought I was buying a finished product and what I got was from from that. If I knew it wasn't polished and worked like crap I might of still got it (unlikely) but I would more accepting of the problems it has. So far support has not responded to any of my emails but ill give them until middle of next week then I may need to do a credit card charge back, since if they don't respond I cant even ask them to accept a return...
I have Cruise Control Off, except for when I need to turn a setting on or off I hit it, and it changes the text on the screen for example nav in motion says "in Motion On" and before it was "in Motion Off" It might take me 3-4 loops to auctally get to that setting as a lot of the time it doesn't change it it says updating and will do that whenever I change the page.
2022-05-04 19.28.32.jpg
The screen does lots of stuff like this also
2022-05-04 19.27.14.jpg 2022-05-04 19.27.30.jpg

ekaz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Does the camera turn on when you hit the blinkers? Mine does not. Also camera in motion doesn't work. I may not of gotten close enough to trigger the parkcam maybe? Ideally the camera would already be on so it wouldn't matter but since I can't use camera in motion because it doesn't work then...?
Parkcam doesn't turn on the front cam until the front sensors are triggered. I haven't tried the turn camera, I don't find a need. It would seem odd to look at a screen to my right when making a left turn. Parkcam and turncam (or whatever its called) are 2 separate features.
I also haven't tried navinmotion. I recall trying it once in my Jeep and didn't work well there either.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Support got back to me late yesterday.
They said that the main issue I am having is because they do not supporting UC5 yet.
He said it's going to be a few months out.

Are there 2022 rams with UC4 still?

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Support got back to me late yesterday.
They said that the main issue I am having is because they do not supporting UC5 yet.
He said it's going to be a few months out.

Are there 2022 rams with UC4 still?
No

Users who are viewing this thread