5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tazer DT and AlfaOBD coexisting?

chuck01835

Reaction score
Anyone know if an Alfaobd and TazerDt can be installed at the same time? If so , how would you do it? For example, backup your stock setup before using alfo obd, modify using alfaobd, then marry your tazer dt to the truck?

Thanks
Chuck

EricBrums89

Reaction score
I’m also interested in this. I currently have the Tazer but want to do some things with alfaobd. From what I’ve understood from reading other posts, the Tazer can act like the security bypass. I’m also confused as to what all I need to run alfaOBD on my computer.

noirot

Reaction score
I use my Tazer as a security bypass. Then I plug in the OBDLink MX to my OBD port and program via AlfaOBD. Works perfectly.

shak3r

Reaction score
Yes, they can coexist. I made a backup using alfaOBD before doing anything then I did this...

Mods made in AlfaOBD (prior to marrying Tazer):
VehConfig 5-Off-Road Pages Present - Yes
Memory Heated Wheel Material Type: Full Leather
CBC Features DRL Dropout Enabled- YES

Marry Tazer and config as desired.

EricBrums89

Reaction score
AlfaOBD can’t be read from an iPhone, correct? What all do I need to run alfaobd on my laptop? I have my Tazer. All I need is a OBD port to usb?

MoreOvalteenPlz

Reaction score
AlfaOBD can’t be read from an iPhone, correct? What all do I need to run alfaobd on my laptop? I have my Tazer. All I need is a OBD port to usb?

Correct, AlfaOBD is currently not compatible with iOS. You’ll have to download and purchase a software license from AlfaOBD. You can use your Tazer in place of a security gateway bypass module. Then you’ll need some kind of an OBD interface to communicate with AlfaOBD. I use the OBD Link MX+.

EricBrums89

Reaction score
OBD Link MX+ is a Bluetooth connection though, right? I’d need something that can connect to my laptop. I’m not sure if my laptop has Bluetooth or not.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
You don't "install" alfaOBD on the truck, and if you have a TazerDT then you don't need to buy the SGW bypass as the TazerDT acts as one. Only issue you may have is the TazerDT can make some of the same changes as alfaOBD, so you may inadvertently reverse a setting your already made with one or the other. For the things the TazerDT can change, it easier to use the TazerDT for those changes than alfaOBD.

EricBrums89

Reaction score
You don't "install" alfaOBD on the truck, and if you have a TazerDT then you don't need to buy the SGW bypass as the TazerDT acts as one. Only issue you may have is the TazerDT can make some of the same changes as alfaOBD, so you may inadvertently reverse a setting your already made with one or the other. For the things the TazerDT can change, it easier to use the TazerDT for those changes than alfaOBD.
How do most people communicate changes to the truck? Via an android phone with the alfaobd app or a laptop?

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
How do most people communicate changes to the truck? Via an android phone with the alfaobd app or a laptop?
I think most people use an Android phone or tablet and the app. I've heard the laptop interface isn't as user friendly

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I did a lot of research on this, and I gathered that people enjoy using the android version more for the simpler interface. For that reason, I bought a Samsung Galaxy Tab A8 a few days ago to run alfaOBD. I'll use it in conjunction with the Tazer.

MoreOvalteenPlz

Reaction score
OBD Link MX+ is a Bluetooth connection though, right? I’d need something that can connect to my laptop. I’m not sure if my laptop has Bluetooth or not.

Yes, the MX+ uses a Bluetooth connection. If your laptop does not have Bluetooth, I would recommend purchasing an inexpensive Android tablet instead of using some kind of OBD-USB adapter with your laptop. I use an Amazon Fire HD 8 Plus tablet (side-loaded the Google Play Store in order to download AlfaOBD), which I bought last year for $65 during a Lightning deal.

I have both the Windows and Android versions of AlfaOBD, but I prefer using the Android. I’ve found it a bit more user friendly and much more portable than bringing out the laptop.

Users who are viewing this thread