5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Target price for negotiations on this Limited?

wangstarr03

Reaction score
Hey all, as a follow up to my previous post, I’ve decided to switch my search from a Longhorn to a Limited; it just makes…more sense to get more for the same or less amount of money. That said, I ran across this Limited located at a dealer ~200 miles from me: New 2023 Ram 1500 LIMITED CREW CAB 4X4 5'7 BOX For Sale | Brookville PA

MSRP is $82,255 with a “final” price of $70,444 and a “conditional” final price of $66,694 (I know I won’t qualify for all of those incentives). A few kickers in my opinion: this is a 2023 MY and there are 2-3 other similarly spec’d trucks on their lot, currently, also 2023s. Finally, cargurus reports that this truck (and the other similar ones) have been on the lot for more than 4 months.

What OTD price does everyone suggest I shoot for? Would love to get to $65k or even lower before trade. Thoughts? Thanks, all!

Trippi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Nice truck! I'm noticing there is no digital dash...are you purposely not wanting that? And no Rambox...I use them all the time. I am not the best negotiator but can't hurt to tell them your price. Get a quote from another dealer as leverage

wangstarr03

Reaction score
Nice truck! I'm noticing there is no digital dash...are you purposely not wanting that? And no Rambox...I use them all the time. I am not the best negotiator but can't hurt to tell them your price. Get a quote from another dealer as leverage
It does have the digital cluster (which I think are standard for Limited in ’23) but the pictures aren’t great. No rambox you’re right, and I have them in my current ‘19 but figured I could replicate the capability of rambox, including the 400w inverter, more easily/cheaper via aftermarket than I could the off-road group.

BrandonSmith

Reaction score
I would go here and see what people are buying these trucks for - you will be amazed at how much you can get off the price.

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
66,694 with an MSRP of 82,255 before trade in is 19% off. That's not a bad spot to be at. Buying in the DC area looks like tax will be 10.1% so if you want 65k OTD you're shooting for at least 59k before tax, title, etc. That's almost 30% under MSRP, and while that's a nice goal and not unheard of, good luck.

When I got my Rebel in 2020 right before COVID I got 19% off MSRP before trade in. Then they gave me an extra 1.5k on my trade in truck because I told them I wanted to take it home and strip it of my aftermarket parts (my light bar was custom made) and they didn't want to wait.

AnthonyRI

5thGenRams Vendor
5thGenRams Vendor
Reaction score
Don't feel bad if you don't qualify for all those incentives, some of them don't even qualify with each other - see how some say LEASE and some say RETAIL.
Focus on the dealer discount, as the rebates are from the mfr not the dealer, and should apply no matter where you buy.

It is, however, the ELITE package which is rare to find on a lot, compared to the # of Night Editions.
If you went with NIGHT you'd have a lot wider search to judge against. Elite, the pool is slim.

Still, though, $7800 worth of dealer discount isn't a bad deal. Not record breaking, but not getting hosed.

6of36

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Hey all, as a follow up to my previous post, I’ve decided to switch my search from a Longhorn to a Limited; it just makes…more sense to get more for the same or less amount of money. That said, I ran across this Limited located at a dealer ~200 miles from me: New 2023 Ram 1500 LIMITED CREW CAB 4X4 5'7 BOX For Sale | Brookville PA

MSRP is $82,255 with a “final” price of $70,444 and a “conditional” final price of $66,694 (I know I won’t qualify for all of those incentives). A few kickers in my opinion: this is a 2023 MY and there are 2-3 other similarly spec’d trucks on their lot, currently, also 2023s. Finally, cargurus reports that this truck (and the other similar ones) have been on the lot for more than 4 months.

What OTD price does everyone suggest I shoot for? Would love to get to $65k or even lower before trade. Thoughts? Thanks, all!
You could get a slightly better deal ordering, but not a lot less. You will not get 65,000 on a 82,000 truck. I got a truck stickering for 83,130, for 68,488 after 4,000 in rebates. I had to special order, wait months, and go almost 1,400 miles. To be able to go a couple hours, and get a truck same day, is worth some extra. The only down side, is you are getting a year old truck. It will be worth less than ordering a 24, if you ever sell or trade.

AnthonyRI

5thGenRams Vendor
5thGenRams Vendor
Reaction score
The only down side, is you are getting a year old truck. It will be worth less than ordering a 24, if you ever sell or trade.
I have mixed feelings on that (says the guy whose job it is to order the newer model year lol).
Purely my opinion, see what you all think:
The further out you intend to keep the vehicle, the narrower that gap will be when it comes to resale value.
YES if trading in with 20K-30K miles in 2-3 years, the difference between a '23 and '24 may be more noticeable, apples to apples.
But if you're the kind of person that keeps vehicles for 8-10 years, and turn in with closer to 100K miles, that gap may be quite narrow.

Difference would be greater if there were any material changes in 2023 to 2024.
For example a 23 Wrangler had a smaller screen, less safety and tech features than a 2024 - so the last-to-produce 2023s are at a disadvantage.
But on RAMS, no measurable change from 23-24 so a used buyer may not be AS swayed for newer versus older, given similar mileage/care taken.

I say the same thing for folks looking to order and debating V6 vs V8 - knowing that V8s hold value better, but cost $3K+ more.
If you're turning in very soon - yeah you might lose more on the V6 as a percentage.
But if you're driving the vehicle over 5-7 years and paying more for it, more interest on it, and fuel economy just to have a better trade in value... perhaps not.
CONVERSELY future-proofing yourself is still a better investment, $3K+ more for a V8 pales in comparison to realizing you should have gotten it in the first place, and having to trade in a very new vehicle that just absorbed the largest % of it's depreciation in the first two years when you realize "we're gonna need a bigger boat"

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have mixed feelings on that (says the guy whose job it is to order the newer model year lol).
The further out you intend to keep the vehicle, the narrower that gap will be when it comes to resale value.
YES if trading in with 20K-30K miles in 2-3 years, the difference between a '23 and '24 may be more noticeable, apples to apples.
But if you're the kind of person that keeps vehicles for 8-10 years, and turn in with closer to 100K miles, that gap may be quite narrow.

For example a 23 Wrangler had a smaller screen, less safety and tech features than a 2024 - so the last-to-produce 2023s are at a disadvantage.
But on RAMS, no measurable change from 23-24 so a used buyer may not be AS swayed for newer versus older, given similar mileage/care taken.

I say the same thing for folks looking to order and debating V6 vs V8 - knowing that V8s hold value better, but cost $3K+ more.
If you're turning in very soon - yeah you might lose more on the V6 as a percentage.
But if you're driving the vehicle over 5-7 years and paying more for it, more interest on it, and fuel economy just to have a better trade in value... perhaps not.
CONVERSELY future-proofing yourself is still a better investment, $3K+ more for a V8 pales in comparison to realizing you should have gotten it in the first place, and having to trade in a very new vehicle that just absorbed the largest % of it's depreciation in the first two years when you realize "we're gonna need a bigger boat"
Completely agree. When you keep a truck 10+ years no one cares if it's 1 year different unless there are major changes such as a refresh or change in generation.

6of36

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score

I agree at ten years it doesn't make a difference, but my last Ram was totaled at 1 1/2 years. That extra model year makes a big difference then. Same with my Durango, I just sold. There were only 3 available in the entire state with tow package, and the one I got was built the last production week of the year. Worth a lot less when I sold, than one built 1 week later.

DEG

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Looks like you located one without the plain black leather interior.

I would be surprised if they go much, if any, below the $66,694 conditional price even if you qualify for all the discounts. More an more I've found that if a dealer lists a "dealer discount" on their website it's pretty much their bottom dollar discount and they are doing it to compete with every other dealer to get online shoppers in their door. The length of time on their lot likely will make no difference.

How far a dealer negotiates varies widely from dealer to dealer. Some will settle for a few hundred dollars profit and plan for a high turnover of vehicles. Other dealers will look for maximum profit on each vehicle they sell and have very low turnover.

Users who are viewing this thread