5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tan Interiors in new Laramie?

Yo Yo

Reaction score
Did Ram stop offering different color interior options on all but the highest models?

I remember looking at Rams in 2020 and I’m pretty sure every trim had interior color options. Ended up getting a Tundra and lease is up, so now looking at Ram again. But the lack of interior colors has me questioning that.

Anyone know what’s going on?

millerbjm

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Did Ram stop offering different color interior options on all but the highest models?

I remember looking at Rams in 2020 and I’m pretty sure every trim had interior color options. Ended up getting a Tundra and lease is up, so now looking at Ram again. But the lack of interior colors has me questioning that.

It does appear the only option on the ramtrucks site is black seats with he tan headliner. My 2021 Laramie has that color and it is a nice mix.- my Bighorn was black on everything and the tan headliner really lightens uo the interior.

LouNY

Reaction score
My 15 Big Horn had the gray interior, my 19 Laramie has the tan much nicer.
I really dislike black interiors, they show the dust and dirt too much.

cevans6318

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I was thinking about this the other day. Why does the bighorn only offer black on black? Bet they would get more orders had they offered different interior color options.

ferraiolo1

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
To make you buy the next trim level up if you want a different color.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

-K2-

Reaction score

Yes. All of our 1500s had the Mountain Brown (tan/browns) on all four of our recent Rams, 2014-Outdoorsmans-2016, or 2019-Laramies-2021. Unfortunately, our 2021 has horrible paint. SO we've wrestled with them for a year to resolve it. Guess what, now we're 'forced' to get a black interior on a Laramie so loaded up it costs more than a Power Wagon. In other words, Rams are now Model-Ts. Any color you want--as long as it's black.

They claimed supplier issues. It's not, it's a streamlining issue (to go along with their horrific paint color selection), to make production easier and cheaper. What's funny is, some of their folks believe black is a good choice in high temperature climates (we checked the nation, all the same), and their 'city' colors good for rural areas--you know, dirt?. Their solution is--remote start it and make it run for 15 minutes to run the rump-coolers.

Now if that's not an ecologically and economically sound solution in the era of high fuel prices and climate change--I don't know what is! ;)

K2

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Yes. All of our 1500s had the Mountain Brown (tan/browns) on all four of our recent Rams, 2014-Outdoorsmans-2016, or 2019-Laramies-2021. Unfortunately, our 2021 has horrible paint. SO we've wrestled with them for a year to resolve it. Guess what, now we're 'forced' to get a black interior on a Laramie so loaded up it costs more than a Power Wagon. In other words, Rams are now Model-Ts. Any color you want--as long as it's black.

They claimed supplier issues. It's not, it's a streamlining issue (to go along with their horrific paint color selection), to make production easier and cheaper. What's funny is, some of their folks believe black is a good choice in high temperature climates (we checked the nation, all the same), and their 'city' colors good for rural areas--you know, dirt?. Their solution is--remote start it and make it run for 15 minutes to run the rump-coolers.

Now if that's not an ecologically and economically sound solution in the era of high fuel prices and climate change--I don't know what is! ;)

K2
The article I read said they streamlined in order make the buying experience less confusing for customers. Yeah right LOL. Regardless, I'm not sure my next truck will be a Ram, based on some of the changes they've made with 2022 models. Hopefully I won't have to decide that for many years.

Idahoktm

Reaction score
My 15 Big Horn had the gray interior, my 19 Laramie has the tan much nicer.
I really dislike black interiors, they show the dust and dirt too much.
That's actually the opposite of why I like black interiors. Dust shows up easier on a black dash, but otherwise black carpet and seats hide dirt and stains much better than tan. I don't like the reflection on the inside of the windshield that goes with light colored interiors either.

bigmac5166

Reaction score
I had the brown interior on my '16 and was looking forward to getting it again on my '22 order. A little bummed to only have black as a choice, but the tan headliner should make for a nice contrast. Would love to have a Longhorn for the interior, but the Southwest Package on the Laramie made it way more expensive to get similar features on the Longhorn.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
That's actually the opposite of why I like black interiors. Dust shows up easier on a black dash, but otherwise black carpet and seats hide dirt and stains much better than tan. I don't like the reflection on the inside of the windshield that goes with light colored interiors either.
I'm in agreement with this. I love an all black interior. My Audi has light colored interior and I hate it. Sun reflects off the dash, and the stained seat belts and carpet detract from an otherwise attractive interior. Lesson learned, give me black every time.

It gets pretty hot here in the summer, and even then I like the black. Ventilated seats work well to pull the heat out of the seats. A good dash cover and 20% tinted windows help keep the interior from getting too hot when the truck sits in the sun.

-K2-

Reaction score
I'm in agreement with this. I love an all black interior. My Audi has light colored interior and I hate it. Sun reflects off the dash, and the stained seat belts and carpet detract from an otherwise attractive interior. Lesson learned, give me black every time.

It gets pretty hot here in the summer, and even then I like the black. Ventilated seats work well to pull the heat out of the seats. A good dash cover and 20% tinted windows help keep the interior from getting too hot when the truck sits in the sun.
That's not actually how it is. The dash and most of the vehicle except for the actual seating area, minor door inserts, and headliner are a caramel brown and hide dirt better-ish-er than black:

used-2019-ram-1500-laramie4x4crewcab57box-13956-20861317-18-1024.jpg

That said, the whole light headliner thing on the black doesn't make sense. It works during the day, somewhat (since the point is to convey the illusion of 'open air/no cabin') but at night it's distracting. With your interior lights as low as possible (as they should be while driving), you have a light upper area (roof and A-C pillars) standing out in the darkness. And it's nighttime when vision is an issue.

As an aside, it's funny how a few years ago CPD--about the time Daimler gutted the company--suddenly found lessons that automotive manufactures had learned over 80 years, forgotten. As though all of the previous design staff did not pass down the numerous lessons they had been taught and learned over decades. The Crossfire was a prime example of that--we had one, what a mess of mistakes. I guess we're just lucky the new crop didn't have to reinvent the wheel...round works ;)

K2

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
That's not actually how it is. The dash and most of the vehicle except for the actual seating area, minor door inserts, and headliner are a caramel brown and hide dirt better-ish-er than black:
Haha...I was describing the interior in my Audi, which is all light colored...dash, seats, seat belts, carpet. I haven't owned a Ram truck with anything but black or dark grey interiors.

Yours looks like it has a lot less of the light colored surfaces. Looks pretty good actually. But I'd still not want that in a truck I'm using at all for doing "truck stuff". At the very least I'd be not liking the look of the seat belts after owning the truck for a few years. Grime shows up on those before it shows anywhere else unless you have clean hands every time you fasten your seat belt. Maybe you do, but I often don't. Because, truck ;)

Idahoktm

Reaction score
Haha...I was describing the interior in my Audi, which is all light colored...dash, seats, seat belts, carpet. I haven't owned a Ram truck with anything but black or dark grey interiors.

Yours looks like it has a lot less of the light colored surfaces. Looks pretty good actually. But I'd still not want that in a truck I'm using at all for doing "truck stuff". At the very least I'd be not liking the look of the seat belts after owning the truck for a few years. Grime shows up on those before it shows anywhere else unless you have clean hands every time you fasten your seat belt. Maybe you do, but I often don't. Because, truck ;)
Yep. Last week I test drove a 2019 Cayenne Turbo with 24k miles on it with tan interior that was very similar to the color above. The seatbelts, floor mats, grab handles, visors, headliner had visible dirt on them. The previous owners may have been slobs, but the car looked very clean otherwise. That color interior gave the car a very dated feel. I haven't driven or ridden in a car with tan interior for a long time and I definitely would not buy a vehicle if it had tan interior after that experience.

-K2-

Reaction score
Yep. Last week I test drove a 2019 Cayenne Turbo with 24k miles on it with tan interior that was very similar to the color above. The seatbelts, floor mats, grab handles, visors, headliner had visible dirt on them. The previous owners may have been slobs, but the car looked very clean otherwise. That color interior gave the car a very dated feel. I haven't driven or ridden in a car with tan interior for a long time and I definitely would not buy a vehicle if it had tan interior after that experience.
Sorry, but I just have to do it for the 'dated feel' comment :p
1926-Ford-Model-T-Roadster-interior-.jpg

As Henry Ford said about the Model-T, 1909; "Any customer can have a car painted any color that he wants, so long as it is black."

Went for the interior as well.

K2 ;)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread