5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Talk to me about oil (and filters)

Derek

Reaction score
I've always had all of my vehicle maintenance done by mechanics. With this new truck, I'm taking the leap and getting to know the vehicle better by doing what i can by myself. First up is an oil change. I've heard good things about Mobil 1 Synthetic, and I see it everywhere so I'm planning on starting with that. Does Mobil 1 also make pretty good filters? I've read Royal Purple is decent as well?

cotonymopar

Reaction score
K&N fileter, and mobil 1 oil, over 500000 miles in my vehicles and never a problem... Keep records , receipts, but have done my own service on all my vehicles... I get the extended range full synth..

Ranger

Reaction score
Mobil 1 and Royal purple are good. Fram and wix are also good for the money. If you're going with a full synthetic oil, an oil filter designed for full synthetic is also a good idea.

I'm not a fan of the oils that claim full year protection (1 oil change per year). Depending on where you live, you might consider a summer weight oil, and a winter weight oil depending on your climate. If you tow a lot, that should be considered too when deciding on oil weight

Couple tips for getting into changing your own oil:
1. Don't overtighten the filter. Hand tight, then 1/2 turn with a filter wrench
2. When you take the old filter off, make sure the rubber gasket comes with it and doesn't stick to the engine block. Putting a new filter on with the old gasket still in place (essentially a double gasket now) is an expensive mistake

Derek

Reaction score
Mobil 1 and Royal purple are good. Fram and wix are also good for the money. If you're going with a full synthetic oil, an oil filter designed for full synthetic is also a good idea.

I'm not a fan of the oils that claim full year protection (1 oil change per year). Depending on where you live, you might consider a summer weight oil, and a winter weight oil depending on your climate. If you tow a lot, that should be considered too when deciding on oil weight

2. When you take the old filter off, make sure the rubber gasket comes with it and doesn't stick to the engine block. Putting a new filter on with the old gasket still in place (essentially a double gasket now) is an expensive mistake

I’ll do some reading on summer vs winter oils. I live in Michigan so there’s a big swing between our seasons, temperature wise.

Thanks for the tips. Hadn’t heard about tightening an extra turn with the wrench, or the double gasket!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

upstech76

Reaction score
I've always had all of my vehicle maintenance done by mechanics. With this new truck, I'm taking the leap and getting to know the vehicle better by doing what i can by myself. First up is an oil change. I've heard good things about Mobil 1 Synthetic, and I see it everywhere so I'm planning on starting with that. Does Mobil 1 also make pretty good filters? I've read Royal Purple is decent as well?
I haven't had my 2019 long enough to change the oil yet but I've used Mobil 1 Synthetic in my 2009 since I bought it. I also use it my my wife's Toyota Highlander and daughter's Toyota Camry. I prefer WIX Filters in all my vehicles, O'Relly Auto carries them in my area. Napa Gold is also a re-branded Wix filter. If I'm feeling lazy I do occasionally run a Mopar filter as I can get it at Walmart when I buy the oil.

Derek

Reaction score
K&N fileter, and mobil 1 oil, over 500000 miles in my vehicles and never a problem... Keep records , receipts, but have done my own service on all my vehicles... I get the extended range full synth..

I have a little log books I’ve been keeping info on my vehicle (fill-ups, long trips, etc.). I’ll be sure to add some info on this change as well. Good idea about keeping receipts. Thank you.

Derek

Reaction score
I haven't had my 2019 long enough to change the oil yet but I've used Mobil 1 Synthetic in my 2009 since I bought it. I also use it my my wife's Toyota Highlander and daughter's Toyota Camry. I prefer WIX Filters in all my vehicles, O'Relly Auto carries them in my area. Napa Gold is also a re-branded Wix filter. If I'm feeling lazy I do occasionally run a Mopar filter as I can get it at Walmart when I buy the oil.

Thanks for replying. Glad to know some other guys here are endorsing Mobil 1. I’ll take a look at WIX filters.

Pressgrove

Reaction score
I had a friend suggest once to let someone else do the first oil change since the filters are torqued so tight from the factory.

I've only owned three new vehicles and followed his advice each time, so I don't have a point of reference. I'm sure others can weigh in here as to if it's a problem.

upstech76

Reaction score
More information on oil and filters can be found here than you'd ever want to know about!

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
There are some very long existing threads on this topic. One little thing to note; I’ve used Mobil 1 (EP, etc) in many previous vehicles, but I went with Pennzoil Ultra Platinum in the Ram, as Mobil 1 (for some odd reason) isn’t Chrysler certified. I’m sure it’s overkill, but I didn’t want to risk any denial of service on my lifetime warranty.

Mobil 1 makes good filters...maybe the best.

Derek

Reaction score
Oil change went pretty smooth!

I made a bit of a mess when taking off the oil filter. Glad I had some cardboard down on the driveway.
I used one of the FloTools catch basins/resevoir combo units and it worked great until almost all of the oil was out, then it caused the oil to splatter everywhere. Next time I'll just use a deep pan and drain it into the reservoir.

rsmeanie

Reaction score
One thing I've always done with my cars. Before your first oil change, purchase a Fumoto oil valve and replace your drain plug with it. All of your future oil changes will be a breeze. Get the model with the nipple and all you have to do is attach a short hose and flip a lever to drain your oil. Super easy.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
One thing I've always done with my cars. Before your first oil change, purchase a Fumoto oil valve and replace your drain plug with it. All of your future oil changes will be a breeze. Get the model with the nipple and all you have to do is attach a short hose and flip a lever to drain your oil. Super easy.
x2!

Derek

Reaction score

Too late for the first one, but that looks like a great little part to have. I’m ordering one for next time. Thanks for the tip!

RAMRhode

Reaction score

I hope experience wasn’t your teacher with tip #2

GerryS

Reaction score
I used Mobil 1 exclusively on our 2004 Sierra. Had a head crack at about 125K miles. They had some defective castings. I replaced the heads myself, and I was pleasantly surprised at how the cylinders looked. They looked brand new. Crosshatch was perfect. I could find no wear, and there was no sludge at all anywhere.
I mostly used AC oil filters (and it is a small one that's about 4" tall) I changed the oil and filter when the truck told me to. It seemed to be 7k mile intervals or so.

Gerry

Ranger

Reaction score
I hope experience wasn’t your teacher with tip #2
I plead the fifth, but I didn't know what I did until the next oil change 5k miles and 3 months later. I tried every filter wrench design imaginable. That darn thing was STUCK to the engine forever. Wound up driving a screwdriver through the filter body and twisting. This ripped the filter to shreds and left me with just the top threaded piece remaining on the truck. Then I went at it with pliers, picks, and screwdrivers until the filter threads finally broke free. That's when I noticed there were 2 gaskets.

Lesson learned, and now I own over a dozen different types of filter wrenches

jimk hunt

Reaction score
Very cool vid series by Project Farm on u tube. He does a bracket style matchup and elimination culminating in an oil champ. He is not sponsored and develops his own testing methods. Pretty cool. I am not responsible for the wife asking why you are watching u tube for 3 hours! Spoiler alert...M1 does not win.

Gman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm getting my first oil change at the dealership. I went with the Pennzoil Platinum full synthetic. I have used Mobil 1 on other vehicles and it works really well (works well as a gun lube too). My personal filter preference is Wix.

What I'm finding a bit more shocking is how dirty the engine and cabin air filters are with less than 5k on the truck. We have this grey dust in Colorado that seems to be everywhere.

I have a Kung Fu grip and don't use filter wrenches.

RAMRhode

Reaction score
I plead the fifth, but I didn't know what I did until the next oil change 5k miles and 3 months later. I tried every filter wrench design imaginable. That darn thing was STUCK to the engine forever. Wound up driving a screwdriver through the filter body and twisting. This ripped the filter to shreds and left me with just the top threaded piece remaining on the truck. Then I went at it with pliers, picks, and screwdrivers until the filter threads finally broke free. That's when I noticed there were 2 gaskets.

Lesson learned, and now I own over a dozen different types of filter wrenches
WOW! I am speechless. Panic would have set in me...especially if still seeing the threads still bound up there! Glad it all worked out!

Users who are viewing this thread