5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Takes hours for uconnect to fully turn on after disconnecting battery

myles

Reaction score
So I disconnected my battery for about an hour while I was running a power wire for a sub I was installing.
When I turn the truck on, I had no navigation, ac/heater was on the fritz, no cameras, side steps were on the fritz, no passenger heated/cooled seats
So at that point I was having a melt down going through everywhere I ran my power cable and couldn't find anything that I messed up.
Woke up this morning and was going to go to the dealer and now everything works fine.

Is it normal for the computer to take hours to fully turn back on after having the battery disconnected for a while?

duke2001

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So I disconnected my battery for about an hour while I was running a power wire for a sub I was installing.
When I turn the truck on, I had no navigation, ac/heater was on the fritz, no cameras, side steps were on the fritz, no passenger heated/cooled seats
So at that point I was having a melt down going through everywhere I ran my power cable and couldn't find anything that I messed up.
Woke up this morning and was going to go to the dealer and now everything works fine.

Is it normal for the computer to take hours to fully turn back on after having the battery disconnected for a while?
From many posts on this forum and your own experience, the answer is yes.

MJP

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Yep. Took a day for my backup camera to return.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Pretty bizarre, that in 2020, with advancements in technology, we have to experience these issues.
Can't wait to see how the UConnect Gen5 units fare on the upcoming 2021 refresh (and also the SYNC4 in the 2021 Fords).

Psimpson

Reaction score
My experience as well, had the cameras not turning off so disconnected. fixed that but had lots of different problems. was set to go to the dealer till next morning when everything was fine.

Carll M

Reaction score

I suppose it's normal, I had the same exact problem when my battery died. Not sure what caused that since it's less than a year old 2019 Ram Limited.

FastBlackRam

Reaction score
2 months ago I disconnected my battery to get reset a CEL multiple times as the CEL kept coming back, it has since not come back again. Anyway the process I used was: Do it outside where the shark fin has visibility to the sky. Disconnect the negative terminal. Do whatever it is you are doing. Reconnect the negative terminal and DO NOTHING with the truck for 1 hour. Everything returns within that hour. At least it did for me.

BigBear1612

Reaction score
I tried to install the bed lights, the first thing in the instructions is to disconnect the battery. Big mistake, now I can't even turn on the ignition. Whatever you do don't ever disconnect the battery. I hope that in the AM it will be back.

FastBlackRam

Reaction score
I tried to install the bed lights, the first thing in the instructions is to disconnect the battery. Big mistake, now I can't even turn on the ignition. Whatever you do don't ever disconnect the battery. I hope that in the AM it will be back.
No offense please, but I have disconnected my battery probably 5 times for various reasons. Never was I unable to turn on the ignition afterwards. This is the process from above and it works every time:

FastBlackRam said:
2 months ago I disconnected my battery to get reset a CEL multiple times as the CEL kept coming back, it has since not come back again. Anyway the process I used was: Do it outside where the shark fin has visibility to the sky. Disconnect the negative terminal. Do whatever it is you are doing. Reconnect the negative terminal and DO NOTHING with the truck for 1 hour. Everything returns within that hour. At least it did for me.

BigBear1612

Reaction score
Mine never did come back, had to tow it to the dealer. They had it for 2 days before they could figure out what the issue was. It had nothing to do with disconnecting the battery. When I had taken it back to the dealer that I purchased from, for them to install some of the accessories that I had purchased on a due bill, they plugged something wrong and bent some plugs, and eventually, it was disconnected. Uconnect roadside assistance wouldn't pay for the tow $935.00), they said you only get 10 miles for a tow. Their roadside assistance is worthless. I talked to a supervisor and I still had to pay and file for reimbursement, he said 3 times that I would be reimbursed, but you know how that goes. I got it back from the dealer 2 days ago and so far it's OK. The dealer that I purchased from still owes me the tonneau cover, I'm a bit worried about taking it back to them. But I have no choice but to let them finish. At least the wiring for it is done. All they have to do is install the cover and plug it in.

Carll M

Reaction score
My 2019 Limited is now on its second battery. Died in less than one year, had to have it towed to the dealer, all covered under warranty fortunately. Bought a Battery tender to keep it on life support as I do not drive much in this pandemic time. I do love driving this truck though and love the 19 speaker Harmon Kardon system! Someone commented they put in a subwoofer, not sure why you would need that mine sounds awesome, even had to turn dow n the base.

FastBlackRam

Reaction score
My 2019 Limited is now on its second battery. Died in less than one year, had to have it towed to the dealer, all covered under warranty fortunately. Bought a Battery tender to keep it on life support as I do not drive much in this pandemic time. I do love driving this truck though and love the 19 speaker Harmon Kardon system! Someone commented they put in a subwoofer, not sure why you would need that mine sounds awesome, even had to turn dow n the base.
Mine is also on its second battery although my first battery died before I took delivery. On the lot before I test drove it. They jumped it and I test drove it, then they replaced it and I test drove it again and bought it. I did it this way because this was the only 2019 Limited with the features I wanted, that I could find on a dealer lot within 500 miles of my location.

Bearman95

Reaction score
I disconnected my neg terminal for about 4 hours last week while I was installing my mopar Ram air flow. I have 8.4 Uconnect on my 2020 Laramie sport 4x4. When I reconnected the neg terminal everything worked properly right away. I have the 5.7 hemi.

gHiDoRa

Ram Guru
Reaction score
i disconnected negative battery to install air intake, went to check after i took shower and eat dinner, all back to normal.

Users who are viewing this thread