5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Take that 3.92 gas mileage doubters!

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I was going to say “haters” but we are one RAM family, ahem…

I got 20.1 average mpg on a 300 mile highway trip today down I-95 to I-20. Will try posting the picture of the dash. Kept the truck on cruise at 70 with the normal road construction slowdowns, running ac all the way. My previous 2019 same trim, size, hemi non ET with 3.21 gears got 21-22 on these roads so I figure 19-20 is fine. Traffic volume was light, no wind, 90 plus degree day.

Attachments

• IMG_3441.jpeg
    IMG_3441.jpeg
    76.5 KB · Views: 72
Last edited:

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
Oh, the lie-o-meter said so. Anyway, its better than I had thought.
And just me as driver, no load inside or in the bed either.

Gren71

Reaction score
So funny thing… I just crossed over 9000 miles and have not been able to get over 17.5mpg since I bought the truck.

Alignment done and according to the sheet, it was way out of spec. The truck drives smoother then it was when I first bought it… and I felt like my MPG meter was increasing faster than normal

After riding with the new alignment for a couple of days, I’m already at 19.5 with my daily drive and climbing. The real time MPG shows me at 22 to 23 on flat terrain! I take all of those numbers with a grain of salt, but I’m happy to see them just the same.

Rock Crawler

Ram Guru
Reaction score

I got 20.1 average mpg on a 300 mile highway trip today down I-95 to I-20. Will try posting the picture of the dash. Kept the truck on cruise at 70 with the normal road construction slowdowns, running ac all the way. My previous 2019 same trim, size, hemi non ET with 3.21 gears got 21-22 on these roads so I figure 19-20 is fine. Traffic volume was light, no wind, 90 plus degree day.

That’s really good. Most of it comes down to how you drive. Some, like me, have a heavy foot and don’t get as good as you are getting. So, you must be lighter on the go pedal. That’s a good thing. You may want to use an app or do the math with a calculator to get the real mileage. The dash computer, also know as the lie-o-meter, is usually off quite a bit. I’ve used an app on every fill-up since I purchased my truck 2 years ago and I’ve put in 1,188.079 gallons and average 13.5 MPG. No long trips for me though. All of my driving is usually about 30 min trips so I very rarely see good mileage. I think with the 3.92s your doing really good if you make it to the 17-18 range.

Jmac509

Reaction score
3.92 Driver here, My around town average is also 13.5 and on the highway I never get above 18 mpg on average. If I reset the meter while I'm already at speed on the highway it might show 20 for me but the first hill I come to or and sort of slow down and speed up immediately drops me back down to 18mpg.

I'm happy with the 3.92

Oldphart

Reaction score
So funny thing… I just crossed over 9000 miles and have not been able to get over 17.5mpg since I bought the truck.

Alignment done and according to the sheet, it was way out of spec. The truck drives smoother then it was when I first bought it… and I felt like my MPG meter was increasing faster than normal

After riding with the new alignment for a couple of days, I’m already at 19.5 with my daily drive and climbing. The real time MPG shows me at 22 to 23 on flat terrain! I take all of those numbers with a grain of salt, but I’m happy to see them just the same.

Good thing you had the alignment checked. How much wear on your tires are there?

Gren71

Reaction score
Good thing you had the alignment checked. How much wear on your tires are there?

No out of the ordinary where on the tires that I have noticed. But they only have maybe 6000 miles on them. What prompted me to get the alignment checked was during my last camping trip I felt like I was having to put in far too many small steering adjustments. Similar to when I had my jeep. Knowing the front end is different in this truck versus the Jeep I figured something was off and went and got it checked.

cerbo

Reaction score
In my experience with dozens of new vehicles they rarely come off the assembly line correct. Probably why most manufactures do a free alignment in the first year or 12K.

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
I didn’t think about checking alignment however I don't feel any vibrations or notice any pulling other than the crown of the road.

I drive conservatively, anticipate my stops etc., just a typical old fart driver.

My son had a 19’ Ltd 4x with 3.9’s and never got above 17.5 highway but he drove more typical of a 30 something. Maybe E torque helps a tiny bit, can’t imagine how though.

cerbo

Reaction score
I didn’t think about checking alignment however I don't feel any vibrations or notice any pulling other than the crown of the road.

I drive conservatively, anticipate my stops etc., just a typical old fart driver.

My son had a 19’ Ltd 4x with 3.9’s and never got above 17.5 highway but he drove more typical of a 30 something. Maybe E torque helps a tiny bit, can’t imagine how though.
you might not feel anything with an OFF alignment. Certainly not vibrations.

Gren71

Reaction score
you might not feel anything with an OFF alignment. Certainly not vibrations.
I certainly didn’t with normal driving. It took having the camping on causing the front to lift a little to make it noticeable.

SD Rebel

Reaction score

I have never seen north of 15.7 mpg on a mostly highway drive on my Rebel, I typically see 12.5 mpg mostly mixed cycle.

However I do believe you, I know if I stay in the slow lane and drive like there's a grenade under my accelerator pedal, and willing to **** off even 90 year old Prius drivers on how slow I accelerate, I could do that kind of mpg with my Rebel.

If I had street tires, I could probably get close to similar mpg with just moderate driving style. But how boring would that be :)

SD Rebel

Reaction score
If I had a Rebel I wouldnt care about mileage.
Old man me has a Ltd and is a cheapskate on trips.

Exactly, how fun would that be. Though not like you have a choice either, you need to forget about it or you are in some emotional pain. You have to push back that 13 mpg to the back of your mind, even at $5.29 cents a gallon :)

Users who are viewing this thread