5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Take that 3.92 gas mileage doubters!

usedup

Reaction score
This is my 5th RAM in 6 years and I have yet to have a magic one that got 20 mpg...or 19 for that matter. 2 with 3.21's and 3 with 3.92 gears. All CC with 4 wheel drive. I'm on the wrong side of 70 and drive the speed limit with well over 95% highway. The '24 has only 4300 miles and the best so far is 16...if I round up. It's got the ridiculous 22's on it so that doesn't help. The lie-o-meter is a little more optimistic but not accurate. I feel I will never have a magic RAM because if they are going to get all that horsepower out of that little 6 cylinder they are going to have to shovel a lot of gas to get it up and going. IMO

stevieb92

Reaction score
It's not about miles per gallon, it's about SMILES per gallon! I didn't buy my Rebel GT for gas mileage. It's so much fun to drive! My Acura TSX is my daily, so it's pretty efficient on gas.

E.Hands

Reaction score
Alignment done and according to the sheet, it was way out of spec. The truck drives smoother then it was when I first bought it… and I felt like my MPG meter was increasing faster than normal

After riding with the new alignment for a couple of days, I’m already at 19.5 with my daily drive and climbing. The real time MPG shows me at 22 to 23 on flat terrain! I take all of those numbers with a grain of salt, but I’m happy to see them just the same.
Are you referring to the factory alignment spec sheet or is there something better?

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
My limitation so to speak is the better half wanting the Ltd for the interior quality and the ride. I was happily looking at a Bighorn until my (brat) son took her to a dealer who had a Ltd. It was “all over” then.

Rebond

Reaction score
I've found my displayed MPG to be almost spot on with hand calculated.

This is strictly from country road and some city driving with multiple stops at 55 mph+/-. Over 2 week period to and from job sites.

20240511_081215[1].jpg Summer 93 gas, 3.92 and getting on it a few times per trip. Can't have a blown Hemi without enjoying the boost now and then.

More power than an H.O. Hurricane, better mileage and the sweet Procharged Hemi sound. I'll stay old school, thank you.

PetePA

Reaction score
I've found my displayed MPG to be almost spot on with hand calculated.

This is strictly from country road and some city driving with multiple stops at 55 mph+/-. Over 2 week period to and from job sites.

View attachment 183019 Summer 93 gas, 3.92 and getting on it a few times per trip. Can't have a blown Hemi without enjoying the boost now and then.

More power than an H.O. Hurricane, better mileage and the sweet Procharged Hemi sound. I'll stay old school, thank you.
Imagine what the hurricane could have done... sheesh you're missing out!

Rebond

Reaction score
I forgot to mention that was hauling 400-600 lbs. of tools and supplies the entire time.

achilles100

Reaction score
First post, figured I would chime in on this thread and add to the data and discussion.

21 Limited Crew Cab E-Torque 3.92, air suspension. Almost every option, so it's about as heavy as a Limited gets. Just shy of 45K miles right now.

Have had it 9 months and I average a consistent 17 to 18 on the dash depending on my mix of driving, which is usually in the 50/50 range. Phoenix area so A/C is on much of the year.

Highway I have seen up to 20.5 on the dash at the end of a trip of almost 1500 miles. Lots of flatter highway roads and this was around 65 to 70 most of the time. Only a little 75. Rarely above that. So it seems that is close to the maximum the truck will return in optimal conditions. On the interstate at 75 to 80 it drops to about that 17 to 18 number again, even for long distances.

Every hand-calculated tank I have done has been .8 to .9 less MPG than the dash. All the numbers above are from the dash.

Here's some FYI about me and the truck to relate to the numbers above:

I am not an aggressive driver for the most part. I have found that the best thing, for me, to increase MPG is that I have the Borla Touring exhaust (on it when I bought it) and I absolutely cannot stand it. It's amazing at WOT for the fun factor. But for casual driving and for cold-start in my neighborhood it makes my eyes twitch. Always loud, tons of drone, never mellows out under any conditions. I added the Borla resonator, and it helped but just a tiny bit. Next I will be adding the larger Borla truck muffler in place of the Borla resonator, which I learned about from another thread on this site. Hopefully, that calms it down enough for me to live with. Having read many posts on this exhaust, it seems I am in the minority on that opinion. But overall, my truck seems to have more road noise, traffic noise and wind noise than I was expecting from all of the comments and reviews about these trucks. In fact, it's comparable to my tin can 06 Accord daily driver. (I'm being a little dramatic, but not by much...my truck is really loud inside.) But this is a discussion for a different thread. Ultimately, not liking the exhaust keeps my foot out of the skinny pedal.

The truck is equipped with 285/55R22 Nitto Recon Grapplers in LT E-load range on stock 22" wheels. Yes, I realize that contributes some to my noise issue above. So I am getting pretty dang good mileage even with these really heavy tires. No other mods besides the tires and exhaust. (Well, and a soft tonneau.)

My previous truck was a 13 Ram Sport Crew Cab Hemi 3.21...fairly well equipped, so still pretty heavy. That rig was not only an absolute coffin for cabin noise (even with Duratracs on it, but C-load) but it also returned me a total meticulously hand-calculated round trip mileage of 24.6 on a long road trip from Phoenix to Niagara Falls and back with many stops to visit national parks and faimly and friends along the way. Incidentally, the dash showed 25.1 at the end of that trip. Those numbers blew me away at the time, since in my normal 50/50 Phoenix area driving it returned about the same 17 to 18 I am seeing now in the current 21 3.92 Limited. For anyone who may not believe me, I'm sorry I don't have any proof to assuage your disbelief. I didn't keep any records of it or pictures or anything.

Based on my very positive experience with the 13 Ram as far as ride quality, interior noise, mileage, etc. I purchased this 21 Limited sight unseen after never having driven one. Expensive mistake, and yes now I'm just whining and have nobody to blame but myself. Heck, even the Alpine stereo in the 13 sounded significantly better than the H/K in this one. (For that matter, so did the Bose in my recently dearly departed 03 Suburban.). I know that going to a highway tire and a stock exhaust would mitigate some of these issues, but the feedback from everyone seems to be that these trucks are super quiet and smooth even with those mods, and my experience just isn't the same especially since my 13 was indeed that way.

So yeah, long winded first post...sorry. But thought the MPG thread for 3.92s would be a good one to provide another data point for everyone.

Thanks for reading if you were patient enough to do so, and have a nice day everyone. Let me know if anyone has any specific questions or comments about my experience with this truck that I may not have touched on.

Users who are viewing this thread