5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Taillight bulb replacement - Bighorn

nicodywill

Reaction score
I know we have a thread on here for the bulb swaps related to the front ends but what is everyone doing for the tail/brake/reverse bulbs swaps?

SB89

Reaction score
I know we have a thread on here for the bulb swaps related to the front ends but what is everyone doing for the tail/brake/reverse bulbs swaps?
Brake lights: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B077PR5B8G/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Reverse/backup lights: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B077PQWQR2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Love 'em. Seems no one can figure out what the style of the turn signal bulb is in the tail light though?!?

Rick8325

Reaction score
Brake lights: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B077PR5B8G/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Reverse/backup lights: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B077PQWQR2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Love 'em. Seems no one can figure out what the style of the turn signal bulb is in the tail light though?!?
I have posted the rear turn signal bulbs in other threads. It's a European type bulb PWY24W. Lasfit does not make this bulb. I have replaced mine with these: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Amber-CAN-...3cAAOSwUnJcZa3z:sc:USPSFirstClass!01862!US!-1

They are by far the brightest bulbs on my truck...even brighter than the Lasfit tail/brake leds. These are even brighter than the Lasfit front turn signal leds. The only time I have gotten light out errors was for a funeral procession but this is apparently normal when the led turn signals are on for a long time. The bulbs still worked with the error message on and it cleared after turning the hazards off for a few minutes.

Last edited:

nicodywill

Reaction score
I have a question related to dis-assembly/assembly.
I'm looking at the taillight housing and see two torx head screws holding the unit in place and have them pulled out but the housing isn't coming loose?
What am I missing here?

EDIT: NEVERMIND.... I'm a dumbass

Rick8325

Reaction score
I'm looking at the taillight housing and see two torx head screws holding the unit in place and have them pulled out but the housing isn't coming loose?
What am I missing here?

I took my taillights off a bunch of times testing different bulbs and ended up throwing away the plastic clips because they started to become mangled. I don’t see their purpose other than being a nuisance. My 14 Ram didn’t have them. Now that I have all the bulbs installed I may replace them...

MCSandersbro

Reaction score
What am I missing here?

I’m about to do this, is there anything I need to know?

W13NY

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Swapped my reverse lights in the halogen taillight assembly too but thinking of replacing the taillights with LED housings that people sell on here all the time. They are plug and play unlike the headlights so its a simple switch.

How do you guys think it would look if I still had the halogen headlights in front but the LED tails in back?

nicodywill

Reaction score
Swapped my reverse lights in the halogen taillight assembly too but thinking of replacing the taillights with LED housings that people sell on here all the time. They are plug and play unlike the headlights so its a simple switch.

How do you guys think it would look if I still had the halogen headlights in front but the LED tails in back?

IMO it'd look great, the only reason I did just the bulb swap is the LED housing swap runs about $1000 which is a little too much for my taste.

W13NY

Ram Guru
Reaction score
IMO it'd look great, the only reason I did just the bulb swap is the LED housing swap runs about $1000 which is a little too much for my taste.
Yeah - gotta wait for someone to sell them on here for around $350-$450 for the pair which is good.

MCSandersbro

Reaction score
Just completed a complete conversion from Halogen to LED bulbs on my entire vehicle inside and out. What a difference maker! The headlights are especially awesome. I used LASFITs for the the entire front of the vehicle. The switchback turn signal bulb for the front turn signals is worth every penny and their LED headlights are top notch. I used some miscellaneous brands for the rear and everything worked out great. FYI the rear turn signal is a weird size that can be found here:

I got this off of another guys post on here.

Upgrade your lights for a couple hundred bucks. It makes a world of difference and really brings the truck into a modern era!

MCSandersbro

Reaction score
I have posted the rear turn signal bulbs in other threads. It's a European type bulb PWY24W. Lasfit does not make this bulb. I have replaced mine with these: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Amber-CAN-...3cAAOSwUnJcZa3z:sc:USPSFirstClass!01862!US!-1

They are by far the brightest bulbs on my truck...even brighter than the Lasfit tail/brake leds. These are even brighter than the Lasfit front turn signal leds. The only time I have gotten light out errors was for a funeral procession but this is apparently normal when the led turn signals are on for a long time. The bulbs still worked with the error message on and it cleared after turning the hazards off for a few minutes.
Same thing happened to me the other day. Couple minutes of cooling off and they were fine.

ronmac7609

Reaction score
Just completed a complete conversion from Halogen to LED bulbs on my entire vehicle inside and out. What a difference maker! The headlights are especially awesome. I used LASFITs for the the entire front of the vehicle. The switchback turn signal bulb for the front turn signals is worth every penny and their LED headlights are top notch. I used some miscellaneous brands for the rear and everything worked out great. FYI the rear turn signal is a weird size that can be found here:

I got this off of another guys post on here.

Upgrade your lights for a couple hundred bucks. It makes a world of difference and really brings the truck into a modern era!

Do you lose your parking lights with the turn signal switchbacks? I read something under a You Tube video where the parking lights no longer function with Lasfit and GTR switchback bulbs. I have my day time running lights currently off but what functions as those if you turn them on?

Aykillah

Reaction score

MCSandersbro

Reaction score
Do you lose your parking lights with the turn signal switchbacks? I read something under a You Tube video where the parking lights no longer function with Lasfit and GTR switchback bulbs. I have my day time running lights currently off but what functions as those if you turn them on?
Sorry it took me so long to get back to you. The switchbacks will not function correctly on the 5th Gens. I went through a rough time when they started malfunctioning and it all tied into the side marker light. When I got a hold of Lasfit they informed me that the switch backs would not work with the 5th gens and let me return them. Hope this helps.

ronmac7609

Reaction score
Sorry it took me so long to get back to you. The switchbacks will not function correctly on the 5th Gens. I went through a rough time when they started malfunctioning and it all tied into the side marker light. When I got a hold of Lasfit they informed me that the switch backs would not work with the 5th gens and let me return them. Hope this helps.
Thanks. Did you use anything else or just kept the halogen signals?

Quint

Reaction score
I'm hijacking an old thread to save from starting a new one. My truck is all halogen lights. I really don't like amber turn signals in the rear, and would like to change that to red. My manual says that it is a 7400LL bulb. Is there a red, halogen replacement or do I have to go red LED? If LED, does it need a resistor to avoid the hyperflashing?

Users who are viewing this thread