5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tailgates

MT755

Reaction score
Thoughts on the Ford, GM and Ram convertable tailgates. I like the Ford tail gate the best.

dajogejr

Reaction score
GM is last. That fold down doesn’t work if you have a trailer hitch.
The Ford is middle pack, if you’re talking about the new Pro tailgate. I like the ability to open it without having it down, but you only get access to I think 60% of your bed. I do like the Ford idea of preset “detents” so it doesn’t swing open. However, on my RAM MFT…it doesn’t just swing open wildly like a screen door…you have to push it to move it.

RAM killed this one. Full access to your bed with two doors.

Now, the negative…
Does the RAM MFT seal 100%? Nope. $30 seal kit from Amazon gets it very close.
Long term how will it last? Don’t know yet.
Another user here did give me a tip, there are 4 plastic/rubber stops for the tailgate that come off and get lost.
They are 90 degree twist out. Put a dab of silicone on them to keep them from going MIA…

I love my MFT, but in being honest… I’m a 20 plus year truck guy.. and my 2023 is the first with a MFT. I “forget” about it more often than not, and I’m getting better, but being able to reach into the bed without having to lean over the tailgate is magical.
I’m also lucky enough to have the factory step, which works perfectly…as well as Ram boxes and the cargo divider.

I just learned something.. the MFT if you have keyless entry and the truck is locked, you simple push down on the handle for a second or two, and it will unlock the barn doors. Learned that by accident a few months ago…:). I like that feature.

dajogejr

Reaction score
Agree with everything said in the video… including, for getting in the bed, the kick down step for the RAM should be standard… and it’s a game changer getting in.

mikeru82

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
GM is last. That fold down doesn’t work if you have a trailer hitch.
The Ford is middle pack, if you’re talking about the new Pro tailgate. I like the ability to open it without having it down, but you only get access to I think 60% of your bed. I do like the Ford idea of preset “detents” so it doesn’t swing open. However, on my RAM MFT…it doesn’t just swing open wildly like a screen door…you have to push it to move it.

RAM killed this one. Full access to your bed with two doors.

Now, the negative…
Does the RAM MFT seal 100%? Nope. $30 seal kit from Amazon gets it very close.
Long term how will it last? Don’t know yet.
Another user here did give me a tip, there are 4 plastic/rubber stops for the tailgate that come off and get lost.
They are 90 degree twist out. Put a dab of silicone on them to keep them from going MIA…

I love my MFT, but in being honest… I’m a 20 plus year truck guy.. and my 2023 is the first with a MFT. I “forget” about it more often than not, and I’m getting better, but being able to reach into the bed without having to lean over the tailgate is magical.
I’m also lucky enough to have the factory step, which works perfectly…as well as Ram boxes and the cargo divider.

I just learned something.. the MFT if you have keyless entry and the truck is locked, you simple push down on the handle for a second or two, and it will unlock the barn doors. Learned that by accident a few months ago…:). I like that feature.
After four years with the MFT I can say I still love it as much as the day we brought this truck home. Now the problem is when I drive our F150 and reach to open the tailgate. It only opens in the traditional way LOL.

PatriotLonghorn

Reaction score
I use the MFT a lot, usually for my mountain bike. I don't like the new Ford one that only opens one way. What exactly are you loading/unloading that you don't need access to the whole bed?

firecadet613

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The Ram bed step is pretty slick, I actually like it over the Ford tailgate step (and I've had two F150s with that). Haven't tried the MFT, but I agree with GMs being very limited use if you tow often...

dajogejr

Reaction score
In being honest…if you’re a site foreman, white collar type, who needs the truck for a work space, then obviously hands down the GM tailgate is more useful.
I also kinda like the ability to leave the gate down, have the stoppers on it so things don’t slide.
However, since I have Rambox and bed divider, which can also allow me to leave the gate down and extend the bed, I think it’s a better combo.
Not having to reach over the tailgate to get into the bed is a game changer.

vinnieloo

Reaction score
As a non-MFT owner, i took off my tailgate once to do some wiring and reaching into the bed without the tailgate in the way was amazing. Made me wish for the MFT.

mikeru82

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
As a non-MFT owner, i took off my tailgate once to do some wiring and reaching into the bed without the tailgate in the way was amazing. Made me wish for the MFT.
When I worked in tire stores I used to remove the tailgate on older trucks when loading and unloading tires. So I already knew how much nicer it was to not have to lift things over the tailgate. I was sold on the MFT before I even saw one in person.

Users who are viewing this thread