5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tailgate Would Not Shut on 2021 Ram 1500 DT

TRIBUTE100

Reaction score
Very strange situation happened on a camping trip last week. I had left my tailgate open during the day because we were getting things in and out for Halloween decorations. It was about 80 degrees F and the tailgate was in full sun most of the day. I went to shut it late in the day and it would not shut. I had taken the truck in to the dealer months ago for the tailgate recall, but never had any trouble with it before or after that until last week.

I noticed that the entire tailgate had shifted to the right, and the gap shown in the today's 3rd picture was very tight. I tried to bump the tailgate back to the left at the hinge, but it did not budge. I finally decided the the left striker bolt needed to be moved out. I had no star bit, but thankfully had some locking pliers. I was able to back out the striker bolt, removed it and placed an extra large washer I had from my Fastway Equal-i-zer hitch. I also used a small piece of thin cardboard so as not to scratch the paint. That moved the striker out about 3/8", and then the tailgate shut fine.

What I think happened that the sun heated up the tailgate, the "Dualliner" bed liner piece attached to the tailgate increased the temperature of the tailgate and expanded the entire assembly, making it shift to the right. The tailgate is back to normal, note the gap on the right side is back to what it was. I'm going to leave the washer on the striker bolt to prevent any future problem.

Attachments

• P1070546.JPG
    P1070546.JPG
    68.8 KB · Views: 16
  • P1070547.JPG
    P1070547.JPG
    162.5 KB · Views: 16
  • P1070548.JPG
    P1070548.JPG
    85.6 KB · Views: 16

Users who are viewing this thread