5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tailgate theft an issue with current gen?

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
For less than a buck get a hose clamp, tighten it over the right hand hinge. Then take a dremmel and grind the bolt on the clamp down far enough that neither a Phillips nor socket will work on it.
An opportunistic thief would need to cut off if with a power tool.
Might want to think that through if you ever plan to remove your tailgate. Would also recommend place a split piece of radiator hose between the clamp and the painted surface to protect the paint job and prevent future corrosion...

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
What are they doing with them? Assume selling...but how many could there be a market for? I have literally never heard of or considered this to be a thing.
:unsure: Assume they sell them.

SilasB

Reaction score
Price a replacement tailgate and you'll have the answer as to why worthless human beings steal them. Catalytic converter thefts are way up too in this area. RVs and pickup trucks are favorite targets.

Wasn't sure if there was specific lock needed for the Ram. Brutal/funny review on Amazon of the "Master Lock Tailgate Lock". Image of truck missing tailgate w/ remains of master lock laying on the bumper.

Buz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Might want to think that through if you ever plan to remove your tailgate. Would also recommend place a split piece of radiator hose between the clamp and the painted surface to protect the paint job and prevent future corrosion...
Good points. But I’ve done this on my last 3 trucks with no issues. I smear lithium grease all over the clamp and hinge right after installing/grinding the clamp bolt.
Plus I believe everything is aluminum on these 5th Gen tailgates.
To each his own.

jljbtm

Reaction score
I had one on my old truck but this one i just used a regular hose clamp. its not perfect but it will slow them down.

Malodave

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Great news! I discovered what’s behind the tailgate thefts - GMC!!!

So the Chevy Advertising Company needed to make a Commercial.

At least they can not use the RAM MFT without the additional Frame,
So they may be safe.

Malodave

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
So the Chevy Advertising Company needed to make a Commercial.

At least they can not use the RAM MFT without the additional Frame,
So they may be safe.

Malodave
The frame for the MFT is part of the tailgate assembly, and easily comes off with it.

jdmartin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
When I heard of people digging up others’ flowering plants in their front yards and stealing them, I thought, “Now I’ve heard everything.” As stated above, certain people will steal anything—and apparently have no respect whatsoever for fellow human beings.
Yes, people will steal virtually anything. The only things they won't steal is something that can't be pawned that's only useful for doing work. Like a shovel :D.

A guy I know told me how he used to get rid of stuff from his house. He used to put it at the street with a "free" sign on it, but no one would take it. So he started putting it near the street with a "$20 or best offer" or something similar sign, and someone would steal it instead :ROFLMAO:

KSOTI

Reaction score
Holy crap! I didn't even know this was a thing! This forum is such a valuable source of information.

Users who are viewing this thread