5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tailgate Tension

Kenny4

Reaction score
Is there a way to adjust the tension of the tailgate as it opens and closes? Mine is 2021 and loved the way it worked new, but now it comes down much faster and has less assistance going up. Thanks

Kenny4

Fatherof3

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I’m not sure if there is a way to adjust it . It might be a replacement item ? It‘s inside the tail gate though on the drivers side I believe .

vincentw56

Reaction score
There's a gas strut inside the drivers side taillight area.

Scram1500

Reaction score
Might be time for a new strut. I picked up a Dee Zee for under $40

kzielu

Reaction score
Don't know how the RAM tailgate works but the strut likely isn't a culprit here - in F150 there is a tension rod that goes along the bottom of the tailgate (inside) - it's being twisted as you lower it (storing energy) and it untwists itself as your raise it - strut is there to damp the whole thing (like shock absorber). If the system here is similar (which I likely), ether that tension rode broke or it's clamp inside the tailgate did. Strut would prevent it from going down hard but would do nothing to help raise it.

(source - I just went through repairing it on wife's F150 so I am intimately familiar how it works there).

Kenny4

Reaction score
Is it a recent change, like since it got cold? Gas struts can get weak in the cold.
Not the temp---Gradually been losing tension up and down. It's not slamming down yet, just noticeably weaker than when newer.

Scram1500

Reaction score
Did you install it yourself, and did it remedy the problem.
Very easy install. The ball and socket connection points are behind the drivers side tail light.

My truck (Bighorn) didn't come with a strut

Users who are viewing this thread