5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tailgate step install

Einstein376

Reaction score
Just needed to vent a little.

I bought the OEM Mopar tailgate/bumper step for my 2019 Ram and haven’t installed it due to Michigan‘s cold weather. So, the truck was at the dealer for warranty service (replacing both mirrors and a new steering rack) at 30,000 miles.

I thought perfect since they will have the truck in the air and its only three bolts, this will be a low cost easy way to avoid lying in the snow to install this myself. Nope, they wanted $130 for the install as the flat rate is 1.5 hours. $43.33 per bolt....

So, installing it myself and I will not charge the full price...

Jim

CMil527

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Stealerships suck... rarely do anything for you once you sign on the dotted line!

vincentw56

Reaction score
They should have only charged for 1/2 hour. No way it took me longer than that to install mine.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

squid013

Reaction score
Took me 10 minutes to install mine

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
They are easy to install. Took me a little longer because of my larger aftermarket exhaust tips. I had to remove the one on the drivers side to install the step. So it took me about 2 minutes longer than it should have LOL

CMil527

Reaction score
The point the OP was making is he was trying to avoid laying or squatting down in the cold/snow and in typical dealership fashion they wanna rob ya over something that would take the tech 5 mins!

arod412

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yeah....not all of us have a garage or some kind of out door area to work on a place to get even these simple things done, summer, winter, rain, or snow.. Sucks that the dealership can't do it for a reasonable price.

Hell I would ask..."when you pull it into the spot in the shop, can I hop back there and put this on...3 screws and 5 mins...lol"

Owner of a 2020 Ram Laramie (leveled with 2" rc struts and 1" rear spacer on 33.5" toyo open country) , 16 Dodge Charger scat pack and my wife 21 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara (2.5" rc lift with 35" duratracs)

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
The point the OP was making is he was trying to avoid laying or squatting down in the cold/snow and in typical dealership fashion they wanna rob ya over something that would take the tech 5 mins!
Understood. I'm the same way. Which is why I save projects like this until the weather warms up. I agree that dealerships charge a lot for things like this, but I understand it at least to a certain degree. They need to make money to stay in business. The way I see it, if I want something on a truck that I'm not willing to install myself, I try to buy it with that particular item already installed. I learned that a long time ago LOL

Nukegm426

Reaction score
It’s just flag time... mechanics are paid whatever the book says it should take... the book is almost never right. That’s how they make their money.... if they only got paid for how long it took they wouldn’t make very much overall at all, and tools are expensive. The faster they can do a job because of experience and or specialized tools, the more they make.

tdager

Reaction score
Took me 40 minutes, but I screwed up and had to pull it back off and redo it.

Einstein376

Reaction score
Sunny day = quick 20 minutes install = saved $130 the dealer wanted. Thanks for the comments on this.

I understand the book flat rate concept for shops, however I think they lost me as a loyal customer as this was the first time I have the vehicle in the shop. Some good doing this simple install for $50 would have gone a long way to build a relationship with me.

The step is a nice addition, my 5’2” wife thinks its great ;-)

Jim

Bitta

Reaction score
Wow...they told me $95 to bolt it on and $270 if the have to drill the hole. ...smh...

Users who are viewing this thread