5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tailgate sensor/tonneau cover

Joe in AZ

Reaction score
New cover on my big Horn, now tailgate sensor is on unless I really slam tailgate. It's to the point where I'm afraid I'll damage the tailgate. Anybody else? Ideas?

alacombe

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Trying re-installing the cover or fix its height if you can adjust it or try and push it back more closer to the rear window

geotex1

Reaction score
There's reported issues with the sensitivity of the sensor. If your tonneau is too snug against the tailgate, it may be thinking to gate it open. It has been mentioned here and on another forum that if you slam the gate about 20 times, the sensor sorts itself out. My speculation there is that the sensor has "stuck" in a limited travel range and needs to be "sprung open."

Tacominitruck

Reaction score
I just had the same issue with my 2019 Big Horn. Installed a Bakflip Fiber Cover and 3 days later my "open tailgate" warning went off. I cannot get the damn thing off for the life of me. I opened and shut it over 50 times, unhooked the negative terminal for 20 min, took my tailgate completely off and reinstalled. I am missing my 2016 Tacoma TRD off-road at this point--0 issues from day one. If anyone has found a fix for this I would be grateful. Thanks!

Inle24

Reaction score
I just had the same issue with my 2019 Big Horn. Installed a Bakflip Fiber Cover and 3 days later my "open tailgate" warning went off. I cannot get the **** thing off for the life of me. I opened and shut it over 50 times, unhooked the negative terminal for 20 min, took my tailgate completely off and reinstalled. I am missing my 2016 Tacoma TRD off-road at this point--0 issues from day one. If anyone has found a fix for this I would be grateful. Thanks!
I am in the same boat. Just had cover installed yesterday. There is no contact between the cover and tailgate at all so its not holding it back at all. I currently have my negative cable unhooked. I doubt that will fix it.

Users who are viewing this thread