5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tailgate Release with Tonneau Cover installed

Reaction score
Has anyone had trouble using the key fob tailgate release after installing a tonneau cover? Seems as though my tailgate doesn't release when hitting the button on my key fob due to the tonneau covers rubber seal. It keeps it from releasing...any thoughts?

Rebelguy2020

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The same thing happens to mine, I was thinking of adding more foam seals to have more pressure and it might open when released, but it would be harder to close.

Belvedere

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My roll up doesn't seal very good anyway, so no, no issues here other than I want a new cover with T slots.

Goatmann

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Spray silicone will work temporarily, best thing to do is adjust the latch pins.
Adjusting latch pins is a very easy adjustment to make. Get a T-30, and loosen the pins. you’ll find that there’s a lot of adjustability.

Look at where the latches on the tail gate best meet, snug the pins a touch, find the sweet spot for the best operation, then tighten the pins.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
No issues on my truck with the Gator ETX soft roll up

Rich33073

Reaction score
I'm getting the Line X cover this weekend. I'll let you know.

FLiPMaRC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have a hard tri-fold cover. I have the rear latches just loose enough for the tailgate to release. It would get stuck if I have the latch tight.

Was at Home Depot and used the remote to open the tailgate. But then I decided to just put whatever I bought in the back seat. But because I had the tonneau cover on tight, the tailgate didn't completely open, and then I forgot about it. Drove down I-80 about 40-50 miles until a guy in a Tacoma, pulled up beside me and started giving me hand signals. After a few seconds I finally understood and pulled over to close the tailgate. Luckily my bed was empty and I didn't loose anything. Since then I adjusted the latch so my tailgate would freely open.

GoMango16

Reaction score
I have a hard tri-fold cover. I have the rear latches just loose enough for the tailgate to release. It would get stuck if I have the latch tight.

Was at Home Depot and used the remote to open the tailgate. But then I decided to just put whatever I bought in the back seat. But because I had the tonneau cover on tight, the tailgate didn't completely open, and then I forgot about it. Drove down I-80 about 40-50 miles until a guy in a Tacoma, pulled up beside me and started giving me hand signals. After a few seconds I finally understood and pulled over to close the tailgate. Luckily my bed was empty and I didn't loose anything. Since then I adjusted the latch so my tailgate would freely open.
Don't you have a "tailgate warning" come up on the dash of your Laramie?

HemiDude

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I have the Gator FX, never had a problem with interference. What cover are you using?

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online