5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tailgate open message

Inle24

Reaction score
I just got my tonneau cover installed and now my tailgate open message is coming up. Brought it back to where i had it installed and they have no clue why it is happening, he suggested bringing to the dealer to reset something? The tailgate is shut and locked and no way i can pull it open so not sure why the message is coming up. There isnt even any contact from the tailgate to the tonneau rails at all. Kept opening and shutting tailgate to see if that would do it, i also disconnected the negative battery cable and still no luck. I really dont wanna go to the dealer. Anyone else have this issue?

Neocane

Reaction score
I had this issue shortly after I received my truck back in September. Dealer replaced a faulty tailgate sensor and no problems since.

Jordan2929

Reaction score
Try shutting it a little harder, many people have said that does the trick. Hopefully it's something as simple as that.

PTRAM

Reaction score
Try shutting it a little harder, many people have said that does the trick. Hopefully it's something as simple as that.

I had the dealer install the mopar tri-fold tonneau cover on mine. I got the tailgate open message when I shut it the first time. I told my wife the tail gate was shut and she told me to shut it harder. I actually listened to her advice and it hasn't come on again.

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Does anyone know where the tailgate closed sensor(s) are located? Perhaps a slight adjustment would help, vs slamming the crap out of it?

I can't believe they are anywhere except within the latch modules on each side of the tailgate. I would have tinkered with them already but they don't appear to be readily accessible.

Inle24

Reaction score
So i took it to Dodge and they had to really slam the tailgate to shut it off, they said it shouldnt be that hard to shut and bring it back to the place that installed the cover. Soni took it back to the place that they installed my cover and they cut a 1/16" of an inch of the cover rails off and slightly adjusted the tailgate pegs that the tailgate latches to. Since then no issue and it closes.

Rich

Reaction score
I just went out and checked to see if I could locate the tailgate open sensor.

I found that the passenger side tailgate latch contains some sort of sensor to detect when it is in the closed/latched position.

To test this, I opened the tailgate, and then manually (with my fingers) closed each latch, driver side and the passenger side, while the tailgate was fully open.

The driver side latch didn't do anything in regards to the bed lights, nor the tailgate open message.

The passenger side latch turned off the cargo bed lights as well as the tailgate open message when it was manually closed (to open the latches after closing them, press the tailgate open control in the center of the tailgate before trying to close the tailgate). I could control the bed lights and the tailgate open message simply by manipulating this latch open and closed.

So there isn't actually a sensor to detect if the tailgate was actually closed or not, only that the passenger side latch is in the 'latched' position.

So if you are getting that tailgate open message, and your tailgate appears closed, my guess is that the passenger side latch is not fully engaged.

I hope this info helps others to diagnose possible phantom Tailgate Open messages.

lonestar_penta19

Reaction score
Thanks Rich for the passenger side tip. I had the message only once that my tailgate was down when it was closed. I shut it hard to clear the message on the dash. It actually prevented my rear parking sensors from activating.

Knowing the passenger side has the sensor that controls the message will be helpful if further troubleshooting is needed. I would prefer to avoid a trip to the dealer as this is my only vehicle.

Rich

Reaction score
You're welcome!

It should be easy to remove the passenger side latch and check it out for a problem.

I'm guessing that the wiring goes through the connection at the bottom center of the tailgate along with the camera connection. I'm sure if that connection is not seated well or has some corrosion, it could also be a point to check.

Michael Frank

Reaction score
You're welcome!

It should be easy to remove the passenger side latch and check it out for a problem.

I'm guessing that the wiring goes through the connection at the bottom center of the tailgate along with the camera connection. I'm sure if that connection is not seated well or has some corrosion, it could also be a point to check.
Same thing happened to me after I added some weatherstripping to make the tonneau cover more water resistant. Had to really slam the tailgate shut to get the alert to shut off (and for the rear collision sensors to work). However, thanks to Rich's tip about the passenger side latch sensor, I found a VERY EASY solution. The problem was that the latch was no longer closing cleanly around the stud located on the side of the bed. Just loosen the passenger side stud that the latch hooks onto (T40 torx bit) and move it toward the rear just a little bit, retighten, and check to see that the bed light goes out when you shut the tailgate. The mounting hole for the stud allows more than enough play to move the stud rearward. Took me all of 2 minutes and then I was able to close the tailgate normally (no more slamming!) and no more "Tailgate Open" alerts.

DanSkan

Reaction score
My tailgate open light came on frequently the first few weeks but after closing it several time it does not come on anymore even with the new cover. I think this has been a common issue that usually goes away after some use.

Rich

Reaction score
Same thing happened to me after I added some weatherstripping to make the tonneau cover more water resistant. Had to really slam the tailgate shut to get the alert to shut off (and for the rear collision sensors to work). However, thanks to Rich's tip about the passenger side latch sensor, I found a VERY EASY solution. The problem was that the latch was no longer closing cleanly around the stud located on the side of the bed. Just loosen the passenger side stud that the latch hooks onto (T40 torx bit) and move it toward the rear just a little bit, retighten, and check to see that the bed light goes out when you shut the tailgate. The mounting hole for the stud allows more than enough play to move the stud rearward. Took me all of 2 minutes and then I was able to close the tailgate normally (no more slamming!) and no more "Tailgate Open" alerts.

It's nice to know my info helped someone!

JDBob35a

Reaction score
When I bought my truck the salesman told me to always shut the tailgate from the middle, right above the handle and shut it pretty hard. He said all the new 2019's he's been around give the tailgate open message half the time when you shut it from the side. I've had mine give the warning a few times and each time I had flipped it shut standing beside the truck.

NoMoreF150

Reaction score
I just got my tonneau cover installed and now my tailgate open message is coming up. Brought it back to where i had it installed and they have no clue why it is happening, he suggested bringing to the dealer to reset something? The tailgate is shut and locked and no way i can pull it open so not sure why the message is coming up. There isnt even any contact from the tailgate to the tonneau rails at all. Kept opening and shutting tailgate to see if that would do it, i also disconnected the negative battery cable and still no luck. I really dont wanna go to the dealer. Anyone else have this issue?
I had the same problem with a Roll N Lock cover. No matter what I did, even if the tailgate-open warning went away, it always came back shortly. The fix for it was actually very simple. No slamming of the tailgate, sensor replacement, or dealership visit needed. There was a thin hard plastic bumper - about 1/10th or 1/8th of an inch think - attached to the rear end of the rails that provides an unnecessary buffer between the tailgate and the Roll N Lock rails. I removed it and the problem was resolved. Apparently that small offset was enough to trip the sensor. I may get a FOAM (instead of hard plastic) buffer, but either way removal of that hard plastic buffer fixed the problem permanently.

TripleB

Reaction score
I have been experiencing the same issue. The tailgate open light would illuminate unless i slammed the tailgate. The rail on my x-15 cover did not appear to be in the way.

i did the loosen the the passenger side stud and move it aft just a hair and now after a few open and shuts the tailgate open light has not come on. Ya!

jch156

Reaction score
Thank you for this tip. I made this adjustment with the stud and it appears to have worked!

Users who are viewing this thread