5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tailgate not opening

ICT_RAM

Reaction score
Has anyone had issues with the tailgate not releasing? The solenoid is clicking when trying to open it from the tailgate, but wont release. Pushing the remote button or button on the overhead doesn't work sometimes either. Eventually it will pop open, but its really annoying.

GRAYWOLF

Reaction score
Have you tried pushing on the tailgate...maybe it is in a bind.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

ICT_RAM

Reaction score
Have you tried pushing on the tailgate...maybe it is in a bind.

Yes, I've tried pushing, pulling, lifting, you name it. Just got a recall letter in the mail the other day so I will mention that while its in the shop

GM convert

Reaction score
Mine is doing the same. My dealer greased it, did not fix it. If I push in before clicking it seems to open. And once it does it does not stick again, when doing it consecutive times right after.

GRAYWOLF

Reaction score
Only issue I have had is it shows open, if I don't slam it shut...

JBeckman

Reaction score
Yes, I've tried pushing, pulling, lifting, you name it. Just got a recall letter in the mail the other day so I will mention that while its in the shop
What was the recall for and what was done to fix it? I'm having the exact same issue and would like to get ahead of the problem. Before I slam it off the bed.... lol

dwengerram

Reaction score
Mine sticks too. The dealership tried adjusting it but it didn't help. I may ask them to look at it Monday afternoon when they are updating the display software to fix the radio signal issue. If I get my OEM parts for trailer brake controls Saturday I may ask them to flash the trailer brake option. I need the trailer brake controls before next Friday's camping trip.

ICT_RAM

Reaction score
What was the recall for and what was done to fix it? I'm having the exact same issue and would like to get ahead of the problem. Before I slam it off the bed.... lol
Wasn't a recall for the tailgate, just for something else. Dealership didn't get a chance to look at it due to low manpower on Friday after the 4th. Still doesn't works and annoying as F.

JBeckman

Reaction score
Wasn't a recall for the tailgate, just for something else. Dealership didn't get a chance to look at it due to low manpower on Friday after the 4th. Still doesn't works and annoying as F.

No kidding. I feel like I'm going to break something. When I got it new, the tailgate worked perfect. Now I have to slam it. If i dont, it wont open and i have to hit it hard with my palms. Then it will open. Very frustrating. Keep me posted if they find something.

Jordan2929

Reaction score
I had this happen to me yesterday after it had been in the sun all day, tried about 10 times and nothing worked. Came back 5 hours later when it was dark and it opened fine. Maybe since the tailgate is aluminum and expands more than a steel tailgate would something might be binding, preventing the locks from releasing.

Users who are viewing this thread