5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tailgate light bar

Gitter

Reaction score
Im going to ask a stupid question. Everyone has stated that the bar sits too low(close to the bumper) to help much with lighting the ground while in reverse.

Has anyone thought to just flip it over and mount it with the reverse lights at the top so the light has more of a chance to clear the bumper and get to the ground?

Shawn
Wouldn't help. The bumper is 4 or 5 inches deep. Even if it did raise it, you "might" get a couple millimeters of height, which wouldn't really change the angle of the lighting on the ground.

MikeyHo808

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Installed an OPT7 Redline 60 lightbar a few weeks ago. Was shooting for more light in reverse. This light bar was cheaper, and thinner.
The bar came with mounting clips that the bar would snap into.
Took the tailgate off which made it way easier to work on. Drilled four holes in that ridiculous plastic strip under the bed, took some thick rubber weather stripping and riveted the clips to the plastic. The stripping gave me just enough to clear the uneven surface of that plastic. Snapped in the lightbar and wired it up.
Used a Curt adapter behind the bumper, and connected a 2 way to hook up the light bar and my hitch cover.
Could do without the running light, but for now, Im good. It's pretty bright!

Attachments

• 20220527_212604.jpg
    20220527_212604.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 153
  • 20220527_212819.jpg
    20220527_212819.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 152

DeV

Reaction score
Im going to ask a stupid question. Everyone has stated that the bar sits too low(close to the bumper) to help much with lighting the ground while in reverse.

Has anyone thought to just flip it over and mount it with the reverse lights at the top so the light has more of a chance to clear the bumper and get to the ground?

Shawn
It won't really matter - diodes emit light in a straight beam....having a bumper there is going to inhibit light on the ground immediately behind the truck as the diodes are aimed back and tucked in to a crevice....they do a good job of illuminating further back though

Gex2501

Reaction score
You mount it pretty much with the bottom of the light on the top of the bumper.

Is that with a normal tailgate? I have a multi-function tailgate. The spaces between it and the bumper is so small I can't seem to fit any kind of lightbar. =(

JustinRibeirooo

Reaction score
With all the information, I was able to get mine done, and I love it! 2020 Rebel E.D. My contribution is the links with the small things I bought to make this happen.

60” triple light bar, Amber, no need for the module
https://www.opt-7.com/redline-triple-led-tailgate.../...

Curt 56584 5-pin harness
https://www.homedepot.com/.../CURT-Replacement.../205632614

1/2 nylon spacer (middle next to the rear camera wire)
https://www.homedepot.com/.../Everbilt-0-194-in.../204225909

1/4 nylon spacer (far ends of the plastic piece before the bubble)
https://www.homedepot.com/.../Everbilt-3-16-in.../204225905

Everbilt #6-32 x 1 in. Phillips Flat Head Zinc Plated Machine Screw (8-Pack) (works with brackets that come with the light bar)
https://www.homedepot.com/.../6-32-x-1-in.../204274660

Gardner Bender 22-18 AWG 0.156 in. Tab Butt Splice 5 Male 5 Female, Red (10-Pack) (- bullet connector for the white reverse cable to work with the harness for no splicing)
https://www.homedepot.com/.../Gardner-Bender-22.../205846720

RamRiderLTD

Reaction score
Not that I know of, but you could buy one of these (that does have the reverse light) and not connect the wires to the brake, blinkers or the running lights. Basically, you would only connect it to the power, ground, and the reverse wires from the trailer harness.

Personally, I never hooked up my bar to the running lights. I don't like the bar to illuminate when my headlights/parking lights are on until I use it to brake, signal, or reverse.
I just installed the OPT7. Did you use the Curt 56584 wire adapter or did you just tap into the tow harness? I'm not a big fan of the bar as a running light either and wouldn't mind just having it for braking but I don't think that's an option with the stock Curt plug. It looks like I'd have to tap the brake light wire from the 7 pin harness making the curt adapter useless unless I cut the run/brake wire on it's 5 wire connector and splice the brake only wire in it's place.

presley82

Reaction score
I'm resurrecting this one but I have a few questions and I've seen answers that are all over the place.

I'm purchasing an OPT7 triple and have the curt harness. I know I will need spacer and longer screws. I see above there is splicing into the harness required for the reverse lights. Outside of that is the rest plug and play?

2019REBEL

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I'm resurrecting this one but I have a few questions and I've seen answers that are all over the place.

I'm purchasing an OPT7 triple and have the curt harness. I know I will need spacer and longer screws. I see above there is splicing into the harness required for the reverse lights. Outside of that is the rest plug and play?
Yes

Ellisstrong

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score

I did not have to splice into anything for reverse lights. I used the curt 56584 harness and wired everything into there.

RAMinNH

Reaction score
Has anyone attempted to use this CURT 2-to-3 wire converter (CURT 56196) to separate the turn signal and brake lights and removing the delay associated? I don't remember seeing it in this thread but also have no idea if it would work... Potential?

71QfQElqENL._AC_SX679_.jpg

wacopolumbo

Reaction score
Sorry to revive such and old thread but I installed the OPT7 triple row LED light bar last night and unfortunately the tailgate hits it and pushes it out of the clips when opened. I went the clip and spacer route many have outlined here. I mounted the light bar so the bottom of the light bar is flush with the top of the bumper molding. If I went lower, part of the light bar would be hidden by the bumper. Perhaps I need the double row light bar instead of the triple row. Which version did you guys install?

Here is the one I ordered:
OPT7 60" Redline Triple Row LED... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01HUJW75O?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Sorry to revive such and old thread but I installed the OPT7 triple row LED light bar last night and unfortunately the tailgate hits it and pushes it out of the clips when opened. I went the clip and spacer route many have outlined here. I mounted the light bar so the bottom of the light bar is flush with the top of the bumper molding. If I went lower, part of the light bar would be hidden by the bumper. Perhaps I need the double row light bar instead of the triple row. Which version did you guys install?

Here is the one I ordered:
OPT7 60" Redline Triple Row LED... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01HUJW75O?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share
I installed the triple with red LEDs and it lasted 3 months.
Got it replaced under warranty and the replacement lasted 1 month before LEDs start to light up white when driving

My license plate cover hits my tailgate when it's down and scratches the paint off, there isn't much space for anything in that area from what I can tell.

Users who are viewing this thread