5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

tailgate light bar install

MikeP

Reaction score
So, I purchased a Putco Blade for my 2019 1500. when it arrived, I thought an hour and it's done.. Then I realized the bumps on the end of the bed where it would normally be stuck to. I decided to make a "rail" for the light bar to sit on and have a smooth place to attach to. I used angle aluminum cut to length and attached it under the smooth level plastic on the bumper. It works exceptionally well and was very easy.
I made sure the tabs I made pushed the aluminum all the way to the bumps on the bed and there is plenty of clearance for the tailgate to open and close with zero issues. The tabs were installed under the plastic so all you see are the screw heads on top of the plastic, I should have bought black screws, duh. Just being lazy, and a little nervous about the sensitivity of the electronics of this truck, I used the Curt adaptor for the wiring.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/fBMbtsJEw6eXXn2K6

Ram Man 727

Reaction score
Glad your install went good. There are lots of posts on this forum where most people are adding spacers because of the bumps at the ends of the plastic.
Did you get the Red Blade (92010) or the Blade with amber signals (92009) ?
I just got the 92009 and went to install it but it doesn't have amber signals.. everything is red. The box says it's the right bar (92009) but the black control module says 92010. Not a happy camper right now.. definitely want the ambers to match my amber LED signals.
Has anyone else had this issue?

MikeP

Reaction score
Glad your install went good. There are lots of posts on this forum where most people are adding spacers because of the bumps at the ends of the plastic.
I just got the 92009 and went to install it but it doesn't have amber signals.. everything is red. The box says it's the right bar (92009) but the black control module says 92010. Not a happy camper right now.. definitely want the ambers to match my amber LED signals.
I did get the 92009 and the turn signals are amber.

busa2009

Ram Guru
Reaction score
what spacer type people are using

Zeeya

Reaction score
So, I purchased a Putco Blade for my 2019 1500. when it arrived, I thought an hour and it's done.. Then I realized the bumps on the end of the bed where it would normally be stuck to. I decided to make a "rail" for the light bar to sit on and have a smooth place to attach to. I used angle aluminum cut to length and attached it under the smooth level plastic on the bumper. It works exceptionally well and was very easy.
I made sure the tabs I made pushed the aluminum all the way to the bumps on the bed and there is plenty of clearance for the tailgate to open and close with zero issues. The tabs were installed under the plastic so all you see are the screw heads on top of the plastic, I should have bought black screws, duh. Just being lazy, and a little nervous about the sensitivity of the electronics of this truck, I used the Curt adaptor for the wiring.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/fBMbtsJEw6eXXn2K6
Nice job. I have been holding off due to some of the post I have seen. I might try it now.

Users who are viewing this thread