5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tailgate LED Light bar - Installation

IceStormz

Reaction score
Good day folks,

After a few weeks of browsing the forum anonymously, I found an abundance of information regarding the bed/tailgate LED bars.

I hope to start this thread as I'm looking to start my installation and hope to get everyone's input and perhaps find tips/tricks on the installation process.

I currently own the Ram 1500 Limited. After looking at the frame and body, I've determined the following issues.

1. Connector for tailgate camera
2. Bumps/uneven points on the tailgate
3. Guidance on removal for the tailgate (I was able to remove the two-wire straps but the left side isn't coming out. Even after putting it on the 45-degree angle, I've been having some issues.)

Options:

After scavenging the forums, there are several options that are available from the cheap eBay/Amazon ones which I'm sure everyone has avoided.
The two most popular options are the OPT7 by Redline and the Putco Blade [More on this in a moment].

Due to the redesigned body, everyone's been having some workarounds from using spacers, different styles or "settling" for less.

The OPT7 has been famous for its relative ease of installation in addition to the sequential lighting. However, as many people have noticed, it has a delay in lighting which a lot of people have not been too fond of.

Putco has advised consumers to purchase #92009-18 instead of everyone's preferred model which is the #93009-60 due to the aforementioned issues with the connector and bumps.
The plus that Putco has for the people who DONT wanna cut into the factory harness is that they supply a quick connector (#529004).

Both have had positive reviews with some workarounds and have no issues with the parking sensors/blind spot monitoring system.

My question to you, the people, is that if you have already installed one. Which one was it and how was your experience?

Any questions or concerns, please let me know!

2019REBEL

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I have the OPT7 one. It's the 48 inch version(triple one). I didn't have to use any spacers as it doesn't have to bend as much as a 60 inch version. I removed it from my 2014 Outdoorsman and already had the plug in for it, only thing I had to do was splice the reverse wire in(put a bullet connector on for easy removal).
As for the delay doesn't bother me as I never see it cause I am in the driver's seat. ;)

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I have the OPT7 one. It's the 48 inch version(triple one). I didn't have to use any spacers as it doesn't have to bend as much as a 60 inch version. I removed it from my 2014 Outdoorsman and already had the plug in for it, only thing I had to do was splice the reverse wire in(put a bullet connector on for easy removal).
As for the delay doesn't bother me as I never see it cause I am in the driver's seat. ;)
Pics?

2019REBEL

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score

Pic of installed, sorry I didn't take any while installing it.
Post number 25 shows some of them.

Reaction score
I bought these 2 and it really made installation easy. I couldn't get it under the tailgate like I wanted so I just put it across the back flush with the top of the license plate. With the curt connector you can just plug it in without any splicing. The back up light is very bright it makes backing up with the backup camera much easier.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20191009-024054_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    Screenshot_20191009-024054_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 263
  • Screenshot_20191009-024039_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    Screenshot_20191009-024039_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 258

rotts4u

Reaction score
I bought these 2 and it really made installation easy. I couldn't get it under the tailgate like I wanted so I just put it across the back flush with the top of the license plate. With the curt connector you can just plug it in without any splicing. The back up light is very bright it makes backing up with the backup camera much easier.
Can you post a photo of this?

SmittysTrk

Reaction score
Thought I'd share how I did my light bar. No tailgate removal necessary.
1st, find the center of the bed area. Then the center of the light bar and mark them both. Not the center of the whole bar but only the light section. With the tailgate down you can see 4 drain opening on the bottom of the tailgate. They are evenly spaced so it saves time measuring out where to put the light bar clips. Thats where I put 4 pieces of blue tape on the plastic filler where the light bar will mount. Close the tailgate and mark where the top of the bumper comes to on all 4 pieces of tape all the way across. That will be the bottom of the light bar. Take one of the clips that came with the light bar and measure the distance from the bottom of the clip to the center of the mounting hole on the clip. Take that measurement and transfer it to the tape line you made, up from that line. That will be the center line of the light bar. I ditched the supplied screws and replaced them with 1" self drilling S/M screws. I used 5/16 SS nuts as spacers behind the clips. (because I had them) You need a long shank Philips to reach the screw in the clips with the tailgate closed. A pilot hole makes it easy to drive them in. A long 1/4" ratchet extension with the proper adaptors on a drill makes it easy to reach and drill them right in. Line up the center of the light bar with the center of the bed and pop the light bar in. Slowly lower the tailgate to make sure it clears. Adjust if needed. Remove the tape and complete the rest of the install like everyone else did. The whole install took less then an hour.

Attachments

• Drains1.jpg
    Drains1.jpg
    478.6 KB · Views: 103
  • cntrline.jpg
    cntrline.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 101
  • clips.jpg
    clips.jpg
    127.8 KB · Views: 104

Users who are viewing this thread