5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tailgate Latch Question

Rick3478

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm not thrilled with the electronic tailgate latch, especially the "un-feature" that if the battery dies, the tools I need to service it may be locked in the bed. :( This thing looks like it might be an electronic replacement for something that originally was a mechanism. If that's the case, what parts might be pressed into service to back-convert it to a plain old mechanical latch? Previous Ram's, DS or earlier? Yeah I know the backup camera is in there, and I love that feature, would probably figure an alternate way to mount it, but I'd really like to get rid of the electronic latch. Anyone have ideas or relevant information?

Rick3478

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Follow-up thought: :unsure: Does anyone within reasonable driving distance have a tailgate lying around they could part with for not too much cash? Like maybe a front or side wrecked totalled-out vehicle? Something I could tear apart and experiment with...

mikeru82

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Shouldn't be too hard to find a tailgate from your local junkyard, or online one such as car-part.com. Or try ebay, craigslist, local want-ads, etc.

Users who are viewing this thread