5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tailgate Issues?

Chrisw1968uk

Reaction score
Hi Everyone
I have 2 issues with the tailgate - first is that it sticks, It needs to be pushed in before it will open, the remote opener doesn't work - The dealer blamed the tonneau cover that i had installed, but i respectfully call BS on that, the tonneau cover barely touches the tailgate and is putting no pressure on it at all

Secondly, the amount of dust that gets through the tailgate into the bed is rediculous - there are areas at the bottom of the tailgate that you can clearly see the floor and in my opinion, is where the dust is coming in, i keep my bed very clean, but i can't put groceries or anything in the bed without it getting covered with dust. Yes, i live on a gravel road, but never had this issue with my 4th Gen ;(

Anyone have the same issues? Thanks ;)

vincentw56

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I've not had any issue opening or closing with my BakFlip. But, the seal isn't good. Someone mentioned using 3/4" closed foam cell weather stripping on it.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

Reaction score
I agree with the dust issues, it's a bit ridiculous..
As far as the function of the tailgate gate goes I don't have any issues, I also have a tonneau cover. So for so good.. dealer installed

2020 ram

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

rlc2020

Reaction score
My tailgate was working perfectly even with my tight fitting cover until my last service visit to my local dealer. The camera was acting funny so they took it apart to test it and when they put the tailgate back together now it takes 2 or 3 times touching the pad to actually unlatch the stupid thing. and yes, the dust is crazy, I think a big foam strip along the bottom of the bed/tailgate area would solve most of that.

silver64

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Simple way to test it. Take off the cover and when it still doesn't work you can tell the dealer to get to work fixing it.

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Simple way to test it. Take off the cover and when it still doesn't work you can tell the dealer to get to work fixing it.
Yep. My cover sits on top of my tailgate and holds it if I only press the button to unlatch it. I have no issues unlatching on the first press, but I have to physically pull the gate to get it out from under the cover.

As far as dust, depending on how much your cover covers, there are gaps up high on each side of the tailgate that are larger than 1/2". I used some extra foam that came with my cover for some small strips in those spots.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone
I have 2 issues with the tailgate - first is that it sticks, It needs to be pushed in before it will open, the remote opener doesn't work - The dealer blamed the tonneau cover that i had installed, but i respectfully call BS on that, the tonneau cover barely touches the tailgate and is putting no pressure on it at all

Secondly, the amount of dust that gets through the tailgate into the bed is rediculous - there are areas at the bottom of the tailgate that you can clearly see the floor and in my opinion, is where the dust is coming in, i keep my bed very clean, but i can't put groceries or anything in the bed without it getting covered with dust. Yes, i live on a gravel road, but never had this issue with my 4th Gen ;(

Anyone have the same issues? Thanks ;)
Did you add any kind of weatherstrip to your 4th gen for dust control? I don't have a need to drive on gravel with my current truck, but I did quite a bit when I had my 4th gen. And it used to get incredibly dusty in the bed, even with a tonneau cover. They don't design the tailgate to be sealed, but you can add weatherstripping for the bottom and sides. That should help a lot with keeping the dust down.

rlc2020

Reaction score
Had my truck back twice already and each time they say it's fixed but it still does it. I don't have enough days off from work to spend 4hrs there each week waiting for them to fix the issue that they caused. The last time they looked at it they gave it back to me without even tightening the cover screws back down. Unfortunately some things are not big enough to keep fighting over.

silver64

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Had my truck back twice already and each time they say it's fixed but it still does it. I don't have enough days off from work to spend 4hrs there each week waiting for them to fix the issue that they caused. The last time they looked at it they gave it back to me without even tightening the cover screws back down. Unfortunately some things are not big enough to keep fighting over.
I would note the multiple visits to the dealership Manager and ask to speak to the RAM manufacturer rep. On multiple visit issues like this they should offer & you should demand a rental so you dont miss work again. I guess I am an A-hole because if I pay all that money for a truck i want it right especially the tailgate since its vital to how the truck operates.

FL Laramie

Reaction score
After about a year my tailgate started sticking. I thought it was the TruckCover USA roll-up cover somehow slipping back towards the gate and not allowing the electronic latches from disengaging. Tried to open the tailgate with the cover stowed in the case and the tailgate still bound up and wouldn't open. Saw some similar posts on here about lubing the latches up with lithium grease (spray-on). The lube worked. No issues since putting a light coat of grease on the latches and the pin. Good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/