5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tailgate Damper

GB1911

Reaction score
So I found this searching mopar parts online and could not believe how easy it was to install. My tailgate didn't have a damper so it more or less just flopped open. The damper goes in really easy because the mounting studs are already there. Pulled the tail light out and threw it on, what a difference for $40. Defiantly worth the money. If your truck doesn't have the tail gate damper I suggest you order one. Very easy to install and like me you can throw some LED reverse lights in there while your at it.

41IrJ5SItxL._AC_SL1234_.jpg

MannymanX

5thGenRams Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks for the info! I didn't know it's behind the taillight. I thought it's more of a spring action and not an hydraulic arm.
Awesome mod!

NorthernArea51

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I put the same piece on and I’m amazed it’s just not standard on every truck. Makes zero sense to me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GB1911

Reaction score
I put the same piece on and I’m amazed it’s just not standard on every truck. Makes zero sense to me

Crazy how low they're willing to go to cut costs. Looks like they put it on trucks with the push button tailgate drop because it would just slam open otherwise

NorthernArea51

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Crazy how low they're willing to go to cut costs. Looks like they put it on trucks with the push button tailgate drop because it would just slam open otherwise

Makes sense. But if we’re paying $40 for the part it probably costs them $5? It would take 15 seconds to install in the factory lol. And would look great when the sales person drops it open during the walk around

taz2016

Reaction score
I bought the Dee Zee version from Ebay. It works great and was around $26 if I remember right.

NorthernArea51

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I bought the Dee Zee version from Ebay. It works great and was around $26 if I remember right.

Yeah I had to go back and look at exactly what I paid...even the MOPAR part is only $29.

GB1911

Reaction score
Seems to be the same as the Mopar part. Great deal at $26, would have bought that instead had I known

Scram1500

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Just installed the Dee Zee, nice little touch and makes opening easier when your arms are full. Side note, you do not have to remove the driver side tail light for installation. There is enough room to reach up and attach it from underneath the truck

swing4terps

Reaction score
A heads up to those that might stumble upon this like I did...you might already have this.

I have a 2021 BH with Level 2 and read this post and decided I had to have it. Assumed I needed it because I don't have power tailgate. Ordered one on Amazon, went to install, and lo and behold, my tailgate opens smoothly because it was already there!

Not sure if they started installing on all trims for newer years or what; but make sure you check!

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
A heads up to those that might stumble upon this like I did...you might already have this.

I have a 2021 BH with Level 2 and read this post and decided I had to have it. Assumed I needed it because I don't have power tailgate. Ordered one on Amazon, went to install, and lo and behold, my tailgate opens smoothly because it was already there!

Not sure if they started installing on all trims for newer years or what; but make sure you check!
2019 Bighorn level 2 and have it.

Users who are viewing this thread