5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tailgate Damage: Fix or Replace

tjcouch

Reaction score
The vehicle is a 2021 2500 Laramie, Cummins, with 2,000 miles.

The driver was an idiot today.

I forgot to put the tailgate up and towed a trailer. The following pictures tell my tale of woe.

1. I 100% want this fixed, and ASAP.
2. Go to the dealer?
3. Or a very reputable body shop?

(I am not willing to order up a replacement color-matched tailgate, and install, transfer the camera, badging, and who knows what else. I'll DIY on my old Jeeps all day long, but with this truck I just want it fixed ASAP, done right, and I'll just take it as an expensive lesson learned. I would prefer not to spend unnecessary money however - just not to the point of doing myself. Beyond that, I welcome your input.)

IMG_20211121_093748359.jpg
IMG_20211121_093800586.jpg

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Ouch. My advice is to get an estimate from a body shop, then check with dealership to see what it would cost. My local dealership would use a local body shop anyway since they don't have their own. That's how most dealerships in my area operate. So in my case I'd skip the dealership and go straight to the body shop.

Ellisstrong

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I’m pretty sure you can find a take off 2500 tailgate for a good price. Definitely can find white ones that you would have to repaint but may be able to find one in the same color

Rlaf75

Takes potshots
Reaction score
I personally would get estimates for a new one. More than likely you'd be able to get it ordered painted to match since it's a new truck. It may be possible that you can find a take off tail gate that someone doesnt need. I wouldn't try to get it fixed.

Now, with all that said, it looks like you will have to replace that plastic tail gate "protector" as well. If you do perhaps change it, I will gladly make an offer on that damaged one.

Users who are viewing this thread