5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tailgate Cables

Kenny4

Reaction score
On my 21 the left side cable is slack putting all tension on the right side. Found this, that gives part # for replacement correction. This Bulletin was for 19-20 models, but apparently is spilling over into 21's. If it's just holding the weight of the gate then no problem, but in my case I'll be putting heavy things up there and want both sides to equally carry the load.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing Kenny. I was thinking about doing the same thing. You just saved me $20 LOL.

wallyuwl

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just noticed this on mine. Going to see if they will order two cables of the new part number so they match.

COSPILOT

Reaction score
I was at the dealership yesterday and a brand new Ram on the showroom floor has a slack cable on the left side. Pathetic quality control on FCA’s part.

Scram1500

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
There was quite a few threads on this topic last year, it's a crap shoot if the new cables will both have tension. My 2020 is like this and so was my 2017. Might need 4 cables to get two that match. Definitely not a Mercedes

Kenny4

Reaction score
Just noticed this on mine. Going to see if they will order two cables of the new part number so they match.
Now that is thinking ahead, why come back next day with the other side now longer like in the video.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Pretty much all 5th gens are like that. If you compare your cables you'll see they are the same length. Don't waste your money on buying two of the new cables. It won't fix the problem.

HemiDude

Reaction score
Pretty much all 5th gens are like that. If you compare your cables you'll see they are the same length. Don't waste your money on buying two of the new cables. It won't fix the problem.
I actually switched my cables, and the driver's side was too long both times!

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
I actually switched my cables, and the driver's side was too long both times!
That's what I'm saying, they're the same length. So buying two of the new ones will not do anything to fix the problem.

scottmoyer

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I checked mine yesterday after reading about this. My left side is slack compared to the right side.

HemiDude

Reaction score
So the issue must be placement of the attachment points. Anyone have luck massaging these into a better position?

Jako

Reaction score
Ram cable left.jpg
Ram cable right.jpg
Compare your left and right attachment points. The problem is when the bed is welded together as the margins are not the same. My left cable was done at the dealership with some improvement. Originally it looked really good but was kicking to the side. I examined the cause and found the "service" installer jammed the removal spring under the button which held the cable in a taut position. BUT it was not installed correctly and once removed from that position it was a minimal improvement. On top of that it caused some removal of paint from the attachment point. The red is grease to add a layer of protection to the paint that is remaining.
Not even sure the dealership ordered the correct cable, however I do believe it was replaced because of some label residue on the cable.
I had this done because I was having additional TSBs done. Hope others meet with more success.

taz2016

Reaction score
Is this actually a problem for anyone? I have found the same "issue" on other brands also. A light amount of weight on the tailgate of my 2019 Ram 1500 will pull the other cable tight to provide the needed support for heavier loads.

Kenny4

Reaction score
Is this actually a problem for anyone? I have found the same "issue" on other brands also. A light amount of weight on the tailgate of my 2019 Ram 1500 will pull the other cable tight to provide the needed support for heavier loads.
Then you are fine. But as in my case, with weight on the tailgate the left is still slack and not carrying any of the load. Again, not a problem if the cables are only holding the weight of the tailgate. Also at the price of these trucks, things should be right.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
If you dig up the original thread on this, you'll find an idea to simply twist one end of your left cable 180 degrees...this resolved the issue for some members.

Pallman

Reaction score
On my 21 the left side cable is slack putting all tension on the right side. Found this, that gives part # for replacement correction. This Bulletin was for 19-20 models, but apparently is spilling over into 21's. If it's just holding the weight of the gate then no problem, but in my case I'll be putting heavy things up there and want both sides to equally carry the load.

I discussed this with Dealer Service Manager and he had it replaced (driver side cable) the replacement cable was exactly like the slack cable. Duh?

jdmartin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I've noticed this on my truck. I think it's just an aesthetic thing. I've had a lot of weight in lumber on my tailgate and both cables were taught enough. Besides, let's assume the heavy weight made the right side stretch some - once it was now as long as the left side, they would both be loaded equally assuming the bed is evenly distributed on the tailgate.

Turaco

Reaction score
Looks like some might have a reasonable issue, while some are running to dealers for no reason. I was loading some materials yesterday to return to home depot and when I opened the tailgate, there was a small slack on the right side. I put a minimal amount of force on it with my hand and it tensioned right away, same as your experience. I happen to think this is a non issue, havent heard of any tailgates falling off yet, plus it looks like it’s the same set up with the competitors trucks, which tells me the slack is within allowable engineered tolerances. From what I recall on one of the threads, there was a poster that weighed some 240lbs and stood on the tailgate: 1. Nothing happenned to the tailgate, 2. There was still slack on one side’s support. Lol

Users who are viewing this thread