5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tailgate cables

dct33

Reaction score
Pretty sure I know the answer, but both driver and passenger side cables attaching the tailgate to the bed are supposed to be the same length...aren't they??? I was noticing some extra flex while getting in and out of the truck bed and thought it had to do with thinner sheet metal to make the tailgate lighter. After finding that there is significant slack in the driver side cable, it may be the culprit.

Should I be notifying the dealer? Still under 1000 miles.

Attachments

• 20200524_164431.jpg
    20200524_164431.jpg
    235.6 KB · Views: 88

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Pretty sure I know the answer, but both driver and passenger side cables attaching the tailgate to the bed are supposed to be the same length...aren't they??? I was noticing some extra flex while getting in and out of the truck bed and thought it had to do with thinner sheet metal to make the tailgate lighter. After finding that there is significant slack in the driver side cable, it may be the culprit.

Should I be notifying the dealer? Still under 1000 miles.
There is a TSB on the cables. The dealer should replace one cable. I would give more help but my computer with all my info is down and out right now.

Rsorrell2

Reaction score
I noticed that mine are unequal as well (only 700 miles on the truck).

guess I should call the dealer, but hate to take the time to go in. Should you show up and they just swap it out, instead probably have to make an appointment, wait for it to be checked by a tech and of course they will have to order it so go home wait for the part to come in then schedule to have it swapped out, yuck:mad:

Bubba33

Reaction score
My dealer gave me mine and I wet home and pit it on and brought the old one back later .

dct33

Reaction score
I am trying to get my dealer to do the same. They are ordering the part and would notify me when it is in. They are 40ish miles away so not too far, but still a bit out of the way. I want them to send me the part. It seems like an easy swap out with just a spring clip over a post.

Rsorrell2

Reaction score
I decided to just purchase it mymoprparts.com has it for less than $20. For that price not worth me going to the dealer and the hassle.

Rick J

Reaction score
I am trying to get my dealer to do the same. They are ordering the part and would notify me when it is in. They are 40ish miles away so not too far, but still a bit out of the way. I want them to send me the part. It seems like an easy swap out with just a spring clip over a post.
It's easy, but not that easy ;) You need a T-45 torx bit to remove the cable from the tailgate. The TSB gives instructions to swap the cables to see it that fixes the problem before replacing the cable. I did that, not expecting it to fix the problem and it didn't. I'll have the dealer fix it on my next oil change.

2020GCM

Reaction score
I had the TSB done at the dealer and no real improvement....the new cable still had slack in it so I soldered in a brass spacer in the end that attaches to the bed, filed it down until both cables had even load and done. :cool:

tailgate cable_s.jpg

Last edited:

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
I had the TSB done at the dealer and no real improvement....the new cable still had slack in it so I soldered in a brass spacer in the end that attaches to the bed, filed it down until both cables had even load and done. :cool:

View attachment 57282
Nice solution, although I would think brass might wear faster over time.

Rsorrell2

Reaction score
What is sad is that, the issue surfaced in 2019 and it is still happening in new trucks! How hard is it to get cables built to the same spec

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
I stopped by the dealership today and was talking with the service adviser. I mentioned the cables and showed him the TSB for it. At first he said he's tried to have that taken care of on other trucks, and was told there was nothing they could do. And that it was designed that way. I started laughing and so did he because he knows that's B. S. too. Well he did some checking on the TSB and placed an order for the replacement cable. I'm not convinced it will fix anything, but at least I got them to try. We'll see next week when it comes in.

Bubba33

Reaction score
I don't know why some say it doesn't fix anything. I changed mine and the new cable was shorter. No more slack.

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thanks for this TSB. Mine has the driver side cable slop. I'll ask them when I'm in there next time.

Dookie

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have slack on my driver's side, called my parts guy, told him the TSB # and he ordered the cable in and is there now ready for pick up. Have to bring the original cable to them for an exchange. I will let y'all know if it fixes it.

Last edited:

Dookie

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Didn’t fix, now passenger-side is slack. :confused:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Dookie

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It is better than it was. Before, the new TSB cable replacement, the drivers side was always slack, even with weight on the tailgate. Now with weight (Me, 180lbs) on the tailgate, both cables are taught.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread