5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tailgate Assist Installed

sylent_snyper

Reaction score
I found a DeeZee tailgate assist for my 2019 1500 Big Horn. My previous GMC came with the soft open feature and it really was great for when you have your hands full and can just barely grab the handle to open. Also great for when your “little helpers” are trying to be helpful and just let the tailgate fly open.
Anyway, I found the Ram tailgate assist on Amazon and install took about 10 minutes.
This installs behind the driver’s side taillight so it’s completely hidden unlike some of the others that install with add-on brackets between the tailgate and bed. There are two existing points that the gas shock just snaps onto and you’re done.

Last edited:

BowersFJ

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Wait ? So only Laramie and above have them from the factory ? Big Horns don’t ? Seems like an odd shortcut to leave out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scram1500

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I can confirm that my Bighorn did not have a damper, strange since it's such a cheap part and snaps onto hardware that's already there

BowersFJ

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Makes no sense …..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
And here I thought all 5th gens had that. Definitely a great thing to add, especially since all you need to do is snap on the damper.

eTorqueCoasting

Reaction score
My 21 Big Horn did, not sure which package it was part of, may have been the Big Horn lvl 2

sylent_snyper

Reaction score
I'm assuming it comes with any package/trim level that has the remote tailgate feature? Only assuming this since it would slam open anytime you hit the button to open. Either way, it's crazy considering how cheap the part is and how quick it installs since they build the attachment points into the truck anyway. I highly recommend adding one if you didn't get one from the factory.

The only thing I'm not sure of is if the other kits that have the add-on bracket will still allow you to install the gas shock on the OEM attachment points? It's possible the overall size of the gas shock could change with that external bracket but that would be something to be aware of for anyone buying one of these.

I probably should have done an actual installation video but it was honestly so easy it didn't even occur to me at the time :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:

ZombieSlayer

Reaction score
Just finished the install on my 19 BH. Easy peasy even though I tore up one of the plastic push pins. I couldn't find my removal tool and resorted to using a hammer to pry them out/off :D

The part # for those pesky little push pins is: 6512734AA and they're $2 each.

Users who are viewing this thread