5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tailgate alignment

Bob.

Reaction score
Hello everyone. I washed my truck yesterday and noticed a 1/4" gap on my left hand side of my tailgate. The right side is nice with an 1/8" gap. I'm happy with the truck and won't bother anyone with this fit, but check your trucks to see if you also have this gap. My truck is a 2021 1500 Bighorn. The tailgate is the basic tailgate not the fancy one.

I'm thinking the fender is a bit short in that spot. Everything's fine just curious if it's a production thing and not a fluke. Thanks LEFT SIDE.jpg RIGHT SIDE.jpg

Last edited:

Alejandro_Andretti

Reaction score
The tailgate slides left to right slightly. Well it does on mine. It used to hit the right hand side and damage th paint dealer ordered a shim.. 8 months ago, now when I bring it up they say that’s not a thing. Im living in some Mandela affect

Alejandro_Andretti

Reaction score
The tailgate slides left to right slightly. Well it does on mine. It used to hit the right hand side and damage th paint dealer ordered a shim.. 8 months ago, now when I bring it up they say that’s not a thing. Im living in some Mandela affect

Attachments

• CE322000-4197-4B34-A10D-321502FB73BC.jpeg
    CE322000-4197-4B34-A10D-321502FB73BC.jpeg
    129.2 KB · Views: 59
  • 679BD30B-2036-418B-A788-77A3D385FCDD.jpeg
    679BD30B-2036-418B-A788-77A3D385FCDD.jpeg
    135.8 KB · Views: 58

Bob.

Reaction score
Im living in some Mandela affect
Dealers all suck. In my view if it's not broken stay away.

Can these tailgates be removed like the old trucks? I know Fords and chevys of years ago you just lower them down remove the chains and they pull away,
I don't know if the new Ram pulls away like that. I imagine they are removable but I don't want to experiment, my luck I will scratch it and then I'd be pissed at myself.

Yes the electrical connections need to be removed. "It's best not to mess with it my mind said out loud..." LOL

Last edited:

IndianaRam

Reaction score
I have the same problem with my Rebel, both sides of the tailgate rub. complained to the dealership when I bought the truck new, and they said there was nothing they could do. So now I just use touchup paint on it every couple of months, so it doesn't start rusting on me.
I've been thinking about using a jack and some lumber to push out the bed so it will stop rubbing but haven't tried it yet.

MarchAFB

Reaction score
I have the same issue as OP on my 22 Rebel. Right side has about 1/8" gap (1/4" on left). No paint rub so far, however I get a Tailgate Ajar warning if I don't close it pretty hard so something is not lined up right. Only had the truck for 2 days so eventually I will take it back in for that.

Bob.

Reaction score
I have the same problem with my Rebel, both sides of the tailgate rub. complained to the dealership when I bought the truck new, and they said there was nothing they could do. So now I just use touchup paint on it every couple of months, so it doesn't start rusting on me.
I've been thinking about using a jack and some lumber to push out the bed so it will stop rubbing but haven't tried it yet.
Hydraulic jack with a piece of wood would work. Just flex it a little. Being metal you will bend it slightly then back it out to see if it's better.
Done this with an old 52 I restored years ago. After all the welding on the cab, the drivers door wouldn't fit. I put a jack and pressed out the door opening out 1/4 inch. All better.😀

Sad your dealer seams about as wonderful as mine.

Users who are viewing this thread