5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tailgate Alignment

Ride2little

Reaction score
I just got back from the local CDJR dealer. I had them to three things to my new 2019 Ram Rebel (2200 miles).
Recall W25 - Windshield wiper torque
Recall W33 - s/w on uConnect for backup camera
Tailgate is really tight on the passenger side, w/ a bigger gap on the drivers side. A simple body fitment issue. I worry about it hitting and scratching/chipping the paint, it's so close.

Upon receipt the recalls were addressed, no problem.
Tailgate, no so much. Dealer says, "no adjustment, please see a bodyshop". What? Don't YOU have a bodyshop? I'll prob be calling CDJR to get their take. At least the 'complaint' is in the system. Shocked at the local response.

Anyone else have body panel fitment issues they've addressed?

Dookie

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I've seen it complained about on here and addressed with an O-Ring on opposite lower hinge point fit side to push the tailgate over some and retain the equal gap differential. Do a little research on here. I do not have this issue, so I can't help first hand.

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I just got back from the local CDJR dealer. I had them to three things to my new 2019 Ram Rebel (2200 miles).
Tailgate is really tight on the passenger side, w/ a bigger gap on the drivers side. A simple body fitment issue. I worry about it hitting and scratching/chipping the paint, it's so close.

Tailgate, no so much. Dealer says, "no adjustment, please see a bodyshop". What? Don't YOU have a bodyshop? I'll prob be calling CDJR to get their take. At least the 'complaint' is in the system. Shocked at the local response.

Search is your friend. Here's the easy fix without a dealer making it worse. Almost two years now and the tailgate still sits perfectly centered.

Ride2little

Reaction score
Search is your friend. Here's the easy fix without a dealer making it worse. Almost two years now and the tailgate still sits perfectly centered.
Thanks Edwards. I did search and found the post last night. I have yellow hose gaskets, might have a black one around here somewhere. Great solution. I'm hopeful and will reply back.

Big White RAM

Reaction score
This is a very common condition with the Rambox bed. I had the same situation with my tailgate, and posted a fix by using a rubber bumper inserted in the right side hinge. This keep the tailgate "centered" in any position, not just when it's closed as the hose washer fix does. If you were to leave the tailgate down when driving using the hose washer method, the tailgate would still be able to move from side to side.

Ride2little

Reaction score
Mine does not move side/side at all. But the washer/spacer under the right bumper seems to center things up when closed. I'm in the process of figuring out the screw that holds it into place. the plastic screw just spins in-place and I cannot seem to work it out. I don't want to break/ruin something. Treading lightly. I'm also looking (in my stash) for a rectangular rubber spacer to make it more solid than a hose washer. Engineering on-the-fly.

Ride2little

Reaction score
Okay, DONE! What a great repository of info here. Thanks for the tips and ideas. I did find a more robust rubber washer and inserted it in between the truck itself and the rubber bumper. When open the gate is center and doesn't move side/side. It seems as if the left bumper pushed things too far to the right. So by adding a little more thickness on the right, that centers up the gate when closed perfectly.
Here are a couple of pics of the washer I had on-hand and used.
Note: I have an old fishing tackle box FULL of spacers, washers, bolts, nuts, screws, etc. Helps out a LOT. i rarely throw out hardware.
1588269809726.png
1588269848739.png

Ally2909

Reaction score

Hi just picked up my new 2021 laramie truck last week. Noticed tailgate is super tight on passenger side they recommended a body shop. I have apt tomorrow. I'm a nervous wreck it has 40 miles on it.

glasswagon

Reaction score
Hi just picked up my new 2021 laramie truck last week. Noticed tailgate is super tight on passenger side they recommended a body shop. I have apt tomorrow. I'm a nervous wreck it has 40 miles on it.
No, need for bodyshop unless there is no room on driver side for tailgate to be centered. Is there room on the driver side to move the tailgate over? I had the same problem, dealership's body shop didn't want to mess with it since it was a multifunction tailgate and they have no experience with it. Dealership wanted me to drive it an hour away to another body shop, so I decided to take a look at fixing it myself. I can center my tailgate but when I shut it, it'll go back to being too close to passenger side. (you can move the tailgate by shoving it in the direction you want when the tailgate is up and almost shut all the way)
Attached are pictures of the latches that can be adjusted. They have angled ramps which center the tailgate when latching onto the bolts. It takes a bit of trail and error to get it right.

Attachments

• 20210305_182942.jpg
    20210305_182942.jpg
    160.1 KB · Views: 77
  • 20210305_182930.jpg
    20210305_182930.jpg
    187.3 KB · Views: 75

Users who are viewing this thread