5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tailgate ajar light

Blackshirts

Reaction score
2020 RAM Bighorn 4x4.

Is there a “tailgate ajar” indicator??

I can’t find it yet I read it has it.

Thanks

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
2020 RAM Bighorn 4x4.

Is there a “tailgate ajar” indicator??

I can’t find it yet I read it has it.

Thanks
You can enable it with alfaOBD, but it's not turned on from factory on the BigHorns from what I have seen

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
You can enable it with alfaOBD, but it's not turned on from factory on the BigHorns from what I have seen
Depends! On what I'm not sure. My 2019 Bighorn, Level 2 package, built in Oct 2018 has it.

79 300

Reaction score
My 2019 Bighorn has it. It came on once on the interstate and when I pulled over to check, it wasn't fully latched.

Lpsouth1978

Reaction score
My 2021 Laramie did not have it and I lost ~$2000 of ammo because of the tailgate not getting latched completely. I enabled it using AlfaOBD after that incident. That will NOT happen to me again. My understanding is that RAM only activates it with certain options (mostly having nothing to do with the tailgate). Keep in mind that not all RAM's have the hardware installed for it to work, even after being activated in AlfaOBD.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Depends! On what I'm not sure. My 2019 Bighorn, Level 2 package, built in Oct 2018 has it.
From my reading on the topic, most 2019s had it, but not 2020s

sppb32

Reaction score
My 2020 Larami has it but wasn't activated from factory and when i activated it with AlfaOBD the light and the cluster image were staying on all the time, i found out the right-side latch on the tailgate has the switch and was not fully closing, only the left side was, i had to adjust the tailgate so the right side would lock and engage the switch, now everything works fine.

Nels

Reaction score
My 2019 Laramie does not have it, although my build sheet says it does. Dealer says didn't come with it (bought it used). This was before I obtained my build sheet, haven't been back to dealer since. I suspect I could turn it on with Alpha OBD.

Biggiehorn

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Its really weird. On the 2022 trucks, they have this option tied into the Advanced Safety Group, but I know for certain that some 2019-2021 trucks had this option enabled from factory without having the ASG package. What the differentiating factor is aside from that, I'm not sure. My 2021 Bighorn did not come with the feature enabled initially, but I did activate with Alfa and it works great.

1660567595339.png

reb0957

Reaction score
I had the light in October of 2019 on my 2019. The dealership disabled it for some reason and refused to reprogram it. I just turned it back on with ALFAObD

Scram1500

Reaction score
I have it and I suspect it's because I also have the factory bed lights.
2020 Bighorn, level 1, build date 7/2019, has indicator light and warning message pop-up on the EVIC. I have factory bed lights as well

outlaw24

Reaction score
Is there a way to check to see if you actually have the switches needed? Can you see them? My 2021 Rebel is listed as having the tailgate warning but it doesn't work and the dealer said 2021's never had the option. Maybe someone can add a picture??

Idahoktm

Reaction score
Is there a way to check to see if you actually have the switches needed? Can you see them? My 2021 Rebel is listed as having the tailgate warning but it doesn't work and the dealer said 2021's never had the option. Maybe someone can add a picture??

The only thing I can see is the wire harness coming out of the bottom of the tailgate. The switches must be inside the latch covers because they are not visible externally.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
My 2022 has a light, but it goes on the whole damn screen.
Super annoying when I have my bed extender on and moving something large.

My tailgate needs to be slammed to close anyways with the MFT.

Idahoktm

Reaction score
My 2022 has a light, but it goes on the whole damn screen.
Super annoying when I have my bed extender on and moving something large.

My tailgate needs to be slammed to close anyways with the MFT.
Why is it annoying? Just clear the screen.

Lpsouth1978

Reaction score
If it is listed on your build sheet, I would bet you have the switch. My '21 Laramie was the same, but was able to enable with AlfoOBD.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Why is it annoying? Just clear the screen.
It came back every 20 seconds or so, also made a chime.

Going highway speeds would make it quite but once I was going around 40mph it would keep filling up the entire screen every few seconds.

I noticed after I disabled my seat belt chime the tailgate warning only comes on once or twice per trip now.

Idahoktm

Reaction score
It came back every 20 seconds or so, also made a chime.

Going highway speeds would make it quite but once I was going around 40mph it would keep filling up the entire screen every few seconds.

I noticed after I disabled my seat belt chime the tailgate warning only comes on once or twice per trip now.

Once I clear my screen, the message in the EVIC only comes back on after I shut off and restart my truck.

Users who are viewing this thread