5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tail light wiring diagram

Maric550

Reaction score
For the love of god can someone pleases tell me what color wires the left taillight are for left turn right turn reverse and brake tryin to splice the tailgate lightbar into it and can’t find anything anywhere even called the dealer to no avail

GoMango16

Reaction score
Go to an RV or trailer sales and buy a splitter that goes behind your 7 pin for a 4 pin and just plug your light into that.

eligonzalez2010

Reaction score
I don't know if you ever figured this out since this is an old post but in case others are wondering I figured it out the old fashioned way with a multimeter.

On the left tail light you can use these wires as follows:

White with Purple stripe = reverse lights
White with Yellow stripe = left turn signal
Black = ground
White with Orange stripe = running lights

On the right tail light use the following;
White with Yellow stripe = right turn signal.

Both the left and right have the same color wires and in the same configuration and so the reverse, ground, and running lights can be hooked up on either side but the turn signals must be hooked to to each tail light on each side of the truck to the white with yellow striped wire.

Hope this helps someone.

My light bar tail light works perfectly.

This is a 2020 3500 drw. I would assume all the 2019+ are the same but not sure.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

eligonzalez2010

Reaction score
I don't know if you ever figured this out since this is an old post but in case others are wondering I figured it out the old fashioned way with a multimeter.

Black = ground

Both the left and right have the same color wires and in the same configuration and so the reverse, ground, and running lights can be hooked up on either side but the turn signals must be hooked to to each tail light on each side of the truck to the white with yellow striped wire.

Hope this helps someone.

This is a 2020 3500 drw. I would assume all the 2019+ are the same but not sure.

Edit. The White wire with the orange stripe is your running lights. Sorry about that.

ilian11

Reaction score

Black = ground

Thank you, just what I needed

funtrucker

Reaction score
Tried to connect my led strips using the white wire with orange stripe but the circuit sensed the load. Is there a way I can isolate that circuit so that the computer won’t sense the load or is there another “hot” wire I can use?
Thx.
I dont have the factory bed lights installed. Wanted to use these instead.

Lowly Jimson

Reaction score
For the love of god can someone pleases tell me what color wires the left taillight are for left turn right turn reverse and brake tryin to splice the tailgate lightbar into it and can’t find anything anywhere even called the dealer to no avail
God's busy reading the manual.

1kase

Reaction score

Black = ground

Hope this helps someone.

I need to connect a side step light can you help me with that

Tom H

Reaction score

Black = ground

Hope this helps someone.

I'll be trying this out tomorrow when I try to hook up the reverse light on my tail light bar

TheeCleveland

Reaction score
hey bud, what did you track down for the white tan wire (the first bottom left wire in this photo - http://assets.glocktwothree.com/ram1500/harness4.jpg)? i have a 2020 ram 1500 and i thought that was the running light?
I just installed my tailgate bar a few days ago on a 19 1500 laramie and i can attest the white / orange (granted it could be tan but I swore it was orange) wire if you’re looking at the inside of the plug off the twilight … it’s the first white wire from left to right looking INSIDE the plug is the reverse lights, my suggestion is instead of guessing or like i did unplug the tailight and stick whichever wire in the plug and see when you get what you’re looking for, we already know the 2500 and 3500 are wired different than the 1500’s - they aren’t the same

Rtbelec

Reaction score
Hey guys,
New to the page and from Aus.

I have a 2019 dt ram 1500
Just had a tray installed with aftermarket lights and they have stuffed something up with the wiring

the utee thinks the rear tail lights are out ( but they are working )

and the ute thinks a trailer is connected when it isn’t

Indicators are also flashing fast on the dash

any help would be amazing
Thanks fella’s

danny0550_1

Reaction score

Black = ground

Hope this helps someone.

I just installed an OPT7 60 Redline and followed this instructions and it worked on my 2021 Ram 1500 Laramie.

theimperfkethuman

Reaction score
Edit. The White wire with the orange stripe is your running lights. Sorry about that.

Which wire is the brake light?

Thanks!

(Have blind spot warning so I've got to hardwire. Putting a "2-piece" (two individual) light bar on the rear vertical portion of the bumper to give me running, brake and amber sequential turn signal on each side)

Users who are viewing this thread