5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tail gate warning

ltgreat

Reaction score
My 2019 tailgate has failed to open after taking a load of garden soil home. Wanted to give a heads up that the tailgate is not tight enough to prevent dirt and sand from entering and if anything contacts the actuators it will cause them fail. Of course Ram service had no ideas on prevention and this is not a warranty repair item. I think I may try sealing the tailgate panels and seeing if that helps and will update if so. Just wanted to warn everyone as I’m now shopping for parts on a year old truck from hauling dirt.

ltgreat

Reaction score
Good call there. I’ve never had this problem so wasn’t expecting it

Diamondback

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Feel free to use sealing tape on those bottom holes of your tailgate if you wish.
I just had a co-worker haul some dirt and it rained and we pulled the tailgate panel off and hosed the inside out real good - the camera/handle comes off easy enough if you are mechanically adapt.
I know aftermarket dealers used to sell a seal that went on the bottom between the bed and the tailgate for hailing purposes. I haven't look if they are still available, but I'm guessing they are.

ltgreat

Reaction score
Do you have a link for the seals? That sounds like a great idea.

FastBlackRam

Reaction score
I have a friend who put this in his F150 because he was getting a lot of dust in his covered bed from dirt road riding. It is really designed to prevent things from falling into the gap between the bed and the tailgate. Would this help? Where is the actuator located? https://rokblock.com/

Diamondback

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Do you have a link for the seals? That sounds like a great idea.

No but I googled what I was trying to remember from years ago : LINK 1

I have a friend who put this in his F150 because he was getting a lot of dust in his covered bed from dirt road riding. It is really designed to prevent things from falling into the gap between the bed and the tailgate. Would this help? Where is the actuator located? https://rokblock.com/

Very similar .. and more modern for the gap protection, indeed!

Users who are viewing this thread