5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tail gate not opening.

Ortiz7983

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Does anyone have trouble with the tailgate not opening? This is from pushing the button inside the truck and also from the key fob. Seems like it only opens when it wants to. I can click buttons and nothing. The mechanism goes off and you can hear it but it doesn’t open. But then I turn off the truck, close the door, open the door, turn the truck back on, and press either button and it opens. What gives?

MValdez

Ram Guru
Reaction score
this happens to me from time to time even when using the tailgate latch as well. I have to press the tailgate in then press the latch to get it to open as if it is swelled shut from heat or the seal is sticking.

Zogg44

Reaction score
I have the same problem, about the half the time I think. I was planning to have it looked at if/when I take it in for service.

JDBob35a

Reaction score
I had this happen a few times. I shot all the latch parts with a little Lithium grease. So far hasn't' happened again, been several months.
Not a super clean solution but I was sick of messing with it and Ram dealer telling me they couldn't reproduce the problem.

Ortiz7983

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I had this happen a few times. I shot all the latch parts with a little Lithium grease. So far hasn't' happened again, been several months.
Not a super clean solution but I was sick of messing with it and Ram dealer telling me they couldn't reproduce the problem.
The dealer did grease up the latch parts already. Still happens. Maybe wasn’t lithium grease.

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The dealership looked at mine last month and couldn't find anything wrong. They cleaned the grounds (per the service manual) and it's been working since.

JDBob35a

Reaction score
When I would hit the open button (Fob or inside truck) I could hear it try to release. Mine was just stuck, which is why I tried the lithium grease.

_StangPGH

Reaction score
Same issue here. I have to push the tailgate in while hitting the button at the same time. Started after I hauled a bunch of sand, rock and pavers so I figure something is lodged in there.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread