5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tail gate hinge popping out of the socket when lowering the tail gate

billybaloneey

Reaction score
I have a 2022 Lone Star...short bed...simple/plain type of tail gate...with only about 1300 miles on it. Occasionally the passenger side tail gate hinge spindle pops out of the socket/cup when lowering the tail gate. Is this a known or semi common problem? I'll be taking it to the dealer when time permits. (I did do a forum search but didn't find any references to this type of problem...saw mostly sticking hinge posts)

Fatherof3

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I've been driving Rams for over 7 years and have never seen nor heard of that happening before .

Rick3478

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Maybe not as simple as you think. Many of these trucks have a tailgate damper mechanism inside the left tail light. Originally was optional, but lately the factory has been putting a lot of them on as standard. The damper being to the left of the left pivot has somewhat of a lever effect that reduces the effective weight on the right pivot. The tailgate usually is plenty heavy enough to overcome this, but it might magnify other existing problems. Maybe the right socket is a bit tight due to debris, paint drip, or whatever and already has a tendency to rotate itself out. A bit of cleaning and a dab of grease might be a good starting point.

HemiDude

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Did you check to see if something fell into that hinge area that might be pushing it out of normal oreientation? All it might take is a small bolt or pebble

MurphBigHorn

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have had issue twice where while closing the tail gate. The left side popped out and I was stuck holding the tailgate in my hand. Screaming for help so I wouldn’t scratch the truck. I ended up taking scotch 33 electrical tape. And putting couple wraps around it. Keeping it from popping out so easy.

Users who are viewing this thread