5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tac Predator Modular Bull Bar installed and Air damn removed

Phillip Berk

Reaction score
Saw this bullbar on amazon for a pretty attractive price of $169.00 ( got from tac website) https://www.tacautoparts.com/produc...ar-mesh-version-for-2019-dodge-ram-1500-truck and thought, why not, it's pretty cheap and looks pretty cool and I'd give it a shot. Well about a week and a half later it came, Fully disassembled, with some pretty crappy instructions but enough to get the job done. For a fairly inexpensive product the quality is pretty high and it's designed very well. Instal took me and my buddy around 3 1/2- 4 hours, if we did it again, we could probably do it in under 2, this was with no ramps or jacks, at night with fairly basic tools. An hour of that was taking off the horrible stock valence, what a PITA! the electronic air damn was 4 bolts and took about 15 minutes, the valence has like 15 nuts, and clips and other crap, they are also in annoying places, took the fender liner screws out to make my life easier. We have little experience in stuff like this, but we've both worked automotive jobs in the past. Side note, to loosen the tow hooks, we HAD to use an impact, my friend is STRONG and could not remove the 18mm bolts.

This is a subframe/ frame mounted bull bar but don't expect to be pushing cars out of your way. While it does use the factory tow hook mounts to mount and the subframe to bumper mounts, and for the most part is fairly sturdy, compared to the $1500 bar on my dads tahoe that's fully frame mounted you can't compare. It has a place for a 20" light bar that I plant to mount soon. it does not have any room to mount a winch unfortunately but I don't do any wheeling alone so I'm not too worried, may do a rear mount one eventually. I chose to keep the air damn and valence off, I think it looks a lot better and I am not too worried about .5 mpg loss I may or may not get.

Overall, this was much better then expected, the install wasn't bad, but then again, were are two 18 year olds LOL, I think it looks pretty good, especially with the valence gone. if you are bumping something at slow speeds and light, it'll give you a little protection. I think it's better for having a no drill or cut solution for mounting a light bar, and again, as an aesthetic piece. They do have a really good warranty so that's a big plus. You can also choose to to remove the top or upper bar, I don't know how solid it will be, but it is modular in that sense. Overall, I'd say 7/10 for quality, 7/10 for ease of install, 8/10 for the design, and for under $200 bucks, 10/10 price, granted I just saw Barricade HD bumper is on sale for like 450 bucks from 1,000, I regret wrapping my factory bumper and getting this. ( https://www.americantrucks.com/barricade-ram-extreme-hd-front-bumper-r109856.html ) Here as some photos, sorry for the dirty truck, took it on a trail this weekend and it was raining so she is very very dirty. Next install is my VIAIR air compressor and electronic gauge. IMG_0271.jpg IMG_0273.jpg IMG_0274.jpg IMG_0276.jpg

Phillip Berk

Reaction score
Looks good especially with your paint scheme.

Sent from my SM-T230NU using Tapatalk

Thanks! in the direct sun the vinyl is pretty noticeably different then the paint, but 90% of the time it looks almost perfect.

NewTruckWhoDis

Reaction score
That looks very nice, especially considering the price. I do kinda wish it had pre-drilled mounting locations to re-locate the front proximity sensors. Since you saw how everything was mounted, do you think it would be possible to just do some trimming in order to keep the valance with this installed?

Phillip Berk

Reaction score
That looks very nice, especially considering the price. I do kinda wish it had pre-drilled mounting locations to re-locate the front proximity sensors. Since you saw how everything was mounted, do you think it would be possible to just do some trimming in order to keep the valance with this installed?
Actually it comes with instructions to cut the valence so you can keep it installed, I just prefer the look without it, I actually installed the electronic air damn back on tonight just incase not having it plugged in could cause an issue, I don't think it will though, need to test both ways, also you can really easily take a step drill and put holes in for the proximity sensors.

Users who are viewing this thread