5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

T-Boned!

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
No airbags went off - I am still surprised, expected for the side bags to deploy.
The shop is on Germmane and Gilbert Rd
No estimate from the shop yet.
If you were alone in the truck and got hit on passenger side, there was no need for airbags to deploy.

azzx

Reaction score
Well - you guys were right, the estimate came in around 28K - which boggles my mind!!
insurance totaled the truck. p....s me off, only 37,000 miles. Oh well, everyone walked away from this.
So, just visited couple of Ram dealers, even with discounts replacing the ram with same exact config. it is 10 - 12K higher than what I paid for mine.

The search will continue

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Thanks for the update. Sorry to hear that but I'm not surprised. Good luck with your search for a new truck. :)

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Well - you guys were right, the estimate came in around 28K - which boggles my mind!!
insurance totaled the truck. p....s me off, only 37,000 miles. Oh well, everyone walked away from this.
So, just visited couple of Ram dealers, even with discounts replacing the ram with same exact config. it is 10 - 12K higher than what I paid for mine.

The search will continue
If you really wanted to get it fixed yourself depending on the insurance company you can decline the payment and keep the truck and get it repaired yourself but like it's not gonna be worth that. That's something you would do if it's a car\truck you can't get anymore not a current production truck.
You can also ask about keeping the truck and how much money they will give you for the claim too but then it's on you to get it fixed yourself, and if needed an rebuilt\salvage title issued which will screw your resale in the future.
But yeah, I bet they looked at it as doing a cab and or bed swap or something because of the damage and what panels it's on.
Even my 2022 same config in 2024 is around like 7k more MSRP. I know 2019 is even worse because MSRP ballooned since 2019 and up.

Maybe checkout a place like Carmax for a low mileage Ram, you can even add Maxcare on it if you wanted to.

azzx

Reaction score
I have contemplated the idea of buying it back and getting it fixed at an independent place. However, as you said the title will say salvage and I don't want to deal with the BS that is required to do this myself.
Just frustrated with the BS cost of anything these days.
According to my dealer that I bought the truck from, he is sitting at an inventory of over 50 2024 RAMs that he is having a hard time selling.

Last edited:

DEG

Ram Guru
Reaction score

The search will continue

Insurance company should be paying today's market value of the truck with the options, condition and mileage it had before the crash. If you cannot find a truck in the same condition, with similar options and mileage contact them and tell them they have underestimated the value of your truck. I have had good luck getting them to pay more when this occurs if I send them several adds for comparable vehicles that are priced higher.

They don't total a vehicle just because the estimate is higher than the value of the truck. They will total a vehicle when the repair estimate reaches a certain percent of the value of the vehicle since they know there is a salvage value for the vehicle they will be taking.

azzx

Reaction score
Yes - 75% of the value in AZ with my insurance - I have not agreed to the settlement yet. Will talk to the adjuster on Monday -- probably a moot point!

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Yes - 75% of the value in AZ with my insurance - I have not agreed to the settlement yet. Will talk to the adjuster on Monday -- probably a moot point!
What is 75% of the value?
Insurance is trying to give you 75% of the current value of your truck pre-accident?
Was the other party at fault, and do they have an insurance company?

azzx

Reaction score
Probably 75% of the low blue book. The settlement came last night, have not agreed to it yet. The adjuster does not work on weekends. Will talk to him on Monday.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Probably 75% of the low blue book. The settlement came last night, have not agreed to it yet. The adjuster does not work on weekends. Will talk to him on Monday.
From your insurance, or the person that hit you insurance? I assume you weren't at fault?
You should be getting the value of your vehicle - your deductible if you were at fault. If you are not at fault you should be getting the full value, and your insurance company goes after the other without even involving you typically.

DEG

Ram Guru
Reaction score
What is 75% of the value?
The 75% is likely just a measure they use to make the decision on whether or not to total a vehicle. If repair costs exceed 75% they total it, if below 75% they repair it.

KBB shows the value of his truck in "good condition" to be around $35,000 with the options and mileage he listed and that's pretty much what his truck is selling for on Auto Trader. 75% of a $35,000 value is around $26,500 so the $28K repair cost exceeds the 75% threshold and they totaled the vehicle.

If they don't offer around $35k, minus deductible, I would push back.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
I’ve seen insurance companies total a vehicle at 50%. I know it sucks since you were happy with your truck, but I think it’s probably for the best. Cars and trucks often don’t feel like the same vehicle after extensive repairs like this.

I’m still wondering who was at fault?

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Insurance company should be paying today's market value of the truck with the options, condition and mileage it had before the crash. If you cannot find a truck in the same condition, with similar options and mileage contact them and tell them they have underestimated the value of your truck. I have had good luck getting them to pay more when this occurs if I send them several adds for comparable vehicles that are priced higher.

They don't total a vehicle just because the estimate is higher than the value of the truck. They will total a vehicle when the repair estimate reaches a certain percent of the value of the vehicle since they know there is a salvage value for the vehicle they will be taking.
Used truck prices have plummeted the last couple years as new inventory has built. You can negotiate the value, but unless you can find similar vehicles, in your area, that have recently sold to compare to, going to be hard to get the offer up much more

DEG

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Used truck prices have plummeted the last couple years as new inventory has built. You can negotiate the value, but unless you can find similar vehicles, in your area, that have recently sold to compare to, going to be hard to get the offer up much more

I'm sure it varies by insurance company, but I've not found it difficult in the slightest with USAA. I've also not need to provide the price after the sale. I only provided a few AutoTrader and CraigsList asking prices and asked them to either find me a comparable vehicle for what they paid or adjust my payment. They sent me a second check for another $4200.

azzx

Reaction score
Well - got a decent settlement -- nowhere near replacing it with the same truck 2024 model.
Came across a 2023 limited long horn South Fork edition with all options except sunroof and air suspension.
it has around 6000 miles. The original MSRP was 81K.
Negotiating with the dealer - so far at 64K OTD.
It is showroom condition.

Is this a good deal?

PurpleRT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Price seems high especially w/ plenty of 24s left on lots and 25 starting to show up.

azzx

Reaction score
Price seems high especially w/ plenty of 24s left on lots and 25 starting to show up.
RAM dealers on happy pill in AZ!
best deal on a 24 Laramie with Level 1 is around 58K - with tax. license etc, I am looking at 65K OTD.

DEG

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Well - got a decent settlement -- nowhere near replacing it with the same truck 2024 model.

That's how insurance works. They only pay the value of the 2019 with 35,000 miles you wrecked; not the value of a truck you never owned.

Came across a 2023 limited long horn South Fork edition with all options except sunroof and air suspension.
it has around 6000 miles. The original MSRP was 81K.
Negotiating with the dealer - so far at 64K OTD.
It is showroom condition.

Is this a good deal?

That price isn't a bargain, but it's not outrageous. Here's a new 24 with no miles and a higher MSRP for $71k.

Also, it it's a used truck someone traded or is selling, I would be reluctant to buy it with only 6K on the ODO. I'd be concerned I was buying a lemon someone took a loss on and dumped. If it's a dealer demo or loaner, I wouldn't be that concerned.

Users who are viewing this thread