5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

SXS’s!

JRD

Reaction score
Anyone here have a side by side? I’ve been really digging these lately, and I always go back and forth of getting one. Let’s see some cool pics.

Mountain Whiskey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I was just using my Honda Pioneer 1000 today to help my neighbor winch down a few dead trees. Now I am whipped, resting up for some liquid pain killer in a little bit.

Mountain Whiskey

Reaction score
Bourbon. I am patiently waiting for a barrel to finish aging. I have to suffer the exorbitant cost of taxed Bourbon for now. Almost out of Buffalo Trace with two bottles left. Can't get it in Northern VA. I have been drinking Michter's bourbon. It is pretty good. By this winter I should be back to mountain whiskey.

Yea, no pictures of the yellow Pioneer. I want some Mopar Bumble Bee stickers for it. Couldn't take pics as I was operating the chain saw and the remote for the winch.

JRD

Reaction score
Bourbon. I am patiently waiting for a barrel to finish aging. I have to suffer the exorbitant cost of taxed Bourbon for now. Almost out of Buffalo Trace with two bottles left. Can't get it in Northern VA. I have been drinking Michter's bourbon. It is pretty good. By this winter I should be back to mountain whiskey.

Yea, no pictures of the yellow Pioneer. I want some Mopar Bumble Bee stickers for it. Couldn't take pics as I was operating the chain saw and the remote for the winch.
I’ve been trying to get into whiskey as I get older, I’ve got buffalo trace & four roses. Buffalo trace is hard to get around here also, according to my local store they are only getting allocations which seems bizarre for liquor but I guess they’re producing limited quantities?

Mountain Whiskey

Reaction score
I’ve been trying to get into whiskey as I get older, I’ve got buffalo trace & four roses. Buffalo trace is hard to get around here also, according to my local store they are only getting allocations which seems bizarre for liquor but I guess they’re producing limited quantities?
Trace is aged 8 to 10 years. Hard to predict a market that far out.

What SxS do you have or are you thinking of getting? Strictly sport or one that can work too?

boogielander

Ram Guru
Reaction score
thought about getting one but decided against it because: none of my friends have one and when we wheel we don't go back to the same spot at the end of day.
also can't drive these on the road here unlike in better states such as AZ.

JRD

Reaction score
thought about getting one but decided against it because: none of my friends have one and when we wheel we don't go back to the same spot at the end of day.
also can't drive these on the road here unlike in better states such as AZ.
Same, I don’t know anyone with one either and it’s a pretty hefty investment if you’re never going to use it

Ramroo

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’ve had a fair number of 4 wheelers and side by sides over the years. Tried different brands.
I have found that I like polaris… for now. I have Polaris 850 wheelers and this side by side. IMG_0072.jpeg

Mountain Whiskey

Reaction score
CanAm is top shelf for SxS. I assume you have done homework about heat. The older pre 2021 models have a mid mounted motor the puts a lot of heat in the cab.

I know some guys that do mild riding on a large farm. I would need to trailer there though the one i have is too narrow. I got a Pioneer because it can play but still work. Just like winch on the trees yesterday. One was fallen and hung up in another tree, the other two were leaning hard toward my fence so they could not be just cut. Granted, the Ram could have been used but it was a tight area and that would have been a lot of work. I plow snow with it too. The Ram is limited to high dollar plows because of the angled frame. Once again, it is a bit big for driveways and tight spaces too.

The Honda is the only one out there I know of that is not a belt drive. This has advantages and disadvantages. Well, you don't have to regularly change a belt is a big advantage. But, if you cook the clutches, it is way more work to replace. Honda has the Talon for playing. If I could afford it a CanAm would be my choice though. When I wrap up and move south where they are road legal, I will get a better one.

Have you thought about a used Jeep? If you get a TJ that is not rusted out, they can do a lot and still be on the road.

If you plan on public trails be aware that a lot have a 60 inch width limit. Yes, there are poles to drive between at entrances so you have to fit.

Ramroo

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I use the ATVs to plow because the turning radius on my UTV is terrible (plus no IMG_3047.jpeg winch).
For the need for speed, ATVs are hard to beat.

JRD

Reaction score
CanAm is top shelf for SxS. I assume you have done homework about heat. The older pre 2021 models have a mid mounted motor the puts a lot of heat in the cab.

I know some guys that do mild riding on a large farm. I would need to trailer there though the one i have is too narrow. I got a Pioneer because it can play but still work. Just like winch on the trees yesterday. One was fallen and hung up in another tree, the other two were leaning hard toward my fence so they could not be just cut. Granted, the Ram could have been used but it was a tight area and that would have been a lot of work. I plow snow with it too. The Ram is limited to high dollar plows because of the angled frame. Once again, it is a bit big for driveways and tight spaces too.

The Honda is the only one out there I know of that is not a belt drive. This has advantages and disadvantages. Well, you don't have to regularly change a belt is a big advantage. But, if you cook the clutches, it is way more work to replace. Honda has the Talon for playing. If I could afford it a CanAm would be my choice though. When I wrap up and move south where they are road legal, I will get a better one.

Have you thought about a used Jeep? If you get a TJ that is not rusted out, they can do a lot and still be on the road.

If you plan on public trails be aware that a lot have a 60 inch width limit. Yes, there are poles to drive between at entrances so you have to fit.
I have thought about a used Jeep honestly, I live in SC and there are a lot more places to do that type of wheeling than there is for something like a can am. We don’t have any big open areas like dunes where you can really stretch the legs. At least that I know of.

JRD

Reaction score
I use the ATVs to plow because the turning radius on my UTV is terrible (plus no View attachment 180639 winch).
For the need for speed, ATVs are hard to beat.
That’s what we grew up on, ATVs. I just got my son a pw50 so hopefully he’ll get into that. I just love the 4 seats in the SXS so once my daughter is a little bigger all 4 of us could ride together although I have been thinking about getting a dirt bike to ride with my son

Mountain Whiskey

Reaction score
I guess the family machines are nice. You can get crazy in a two seater though.

JRD

Reaction score
I guess the family machines are nice. You can get crazy in a two seater though.
Well have to see when my daughter gets a little older if she’ll like it or not, if not maybe I can get a two seater. I have read the two seaters are more agile and better on trails

azzx

Reaction score
Yep - my rig will not fit in any trails on the East Coast. Perfect for SW.
Can am has many diff. models -- Trail 2 & 4 seat, Commander 2/4, and they have the farm version the defender.
They also just came out with the Maveric R (240 HP) and DCT transmission. however the fully loaded version is over $70K.
BTW - you can buy a fully loaded Jeep less than some of these SXSs

Idahoktm

Reaction score
Get dirt bikes. It's a lot more fun riding technical singletrack on two wheels, than it is driving around on dirt roads in a Jeep sized vehicle. I don't have kids but my buddies kids have been riding with us since they were little nose miners. It's awesome to see the skills they develop at such a a young age.

Here are a couple of videos of me following two young teenagers. One on a KTM85 big wheel and the other on a KTM200XC-W.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Staff online

Members online