5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Switch to LT tires for towing with my 2021?

Bensinc

Reaction score
I have a 2021 with 20" wheels on the factory Dueler passenger tires. I tow a TT that weighs around 4500 lbs, with 550 on the tongue, depending on how I load it up. It tows pretty well with my WDH+sway control, but the truck feels a bit squishy. My hitch place says LT tires would help. Does that make sense?

I like the ride and quietness of my factory tires, but towing confidently is why I bought this truck to begin with. I like the looks of the BF Goodrich ALL TERRAIN T/A KO2, but worry that they will be noisy. If LT tires are the way to go, any recommendations on some that are quiet but still look decent?

Thanks!

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
LT tires would help, but they'd also reduce MPG, be noisier, more expensive, etc. Do you air the tires up when you tow? I'd try that first before jumping to new tires.

Bensinc

Reaction score
LT tires would help, but they'd also reduce MPG, be noisier, more expensive, etc. Do you air the tires up when you tow? I'd try that first before jumping to new tires.

I've had the tires to the sidewall max 44psi cold the last couple times I've towed. I don't think it made much difference unfortunately.

Bensinc

Reaction score
A quick update: So far I just started with the Hellwig, which makes everything much more solid just driving around town. It's helped a lot with towing as well, and I think I'll stick with this setup for the moment. I just finished an 800 mile trip, and for the most part I didn't even notice I was towing!

cj7

Ram Guru
Reaction score
A quick update: So far I just started with the Hellwig, which makes everything much more solid just driving around town. It's helped a lot with towing as well, and I think I'll stick with this setup for the moment. I just finished an 800 mile trip, and for the most part I didn't even notice I was towing!
Can you describe how the roll bar made towing better?

BigDon

Reaction score
My camper is about 4500 pounds also and I was wondering what gears you have? Off the top of my head I don't know which ones I have but where I live we have lots of hills in any directions I go. Now on flat land which there isn't much off the truck pulls great and with the hills it's pulling hard and I'm not of a fan of going over 2500 RPM's so it wants to go back to 55 or 60 mph on the long grades. I see folks passing me at 70mph and I don''t tow that fast around 65 is my normal speed .. I always wonder what others have for gears when they tow
Thanks Don

nc_beagle

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I've got the 3.92 with a camper weighing in at 5500# unless we add more gear to it. Being in my early stages of towing something this large, I personally wouldn't feel comfortable towing faster than 65mph, but there are some here that probably are fine at 70mph and more. If you have a Hemi, I'm going to guess you'll be over 2500rpm on hills, but maybe not. I think I was around 2200rpm with the ecodiesel going up a moderate grade at 55-60mph.

I will say don't stress about the people passing you. Getting there safely is the main thing. Maybe if I hated the truck and wasn't going somewhere fun, I'd want to rush, but the Ram is a good place to be. :)

Users who are viewing this thread