5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Switch location for aux lights?

B-Rebel

Reaction score
I’ll be wiring up some auxiliary reverse lights and wanted to see where everyone is playing their light switches. I think I’ll end up placing it next to the parking brake. I definitely do not like the idea of drilling a hole, so may go the wireless route.

Does anyone know how to remove the plastic in these areas for an easier and safer install? Any help would be greatly appreciated

daveone

Reaction score
I am in the same boat... I have a pair of rear Zroadz LED lights that I want to install, but not certain of where I want to install the switch. Definitely don't want to mess with the leather. Hope we get some attention over here...

2019REBEL

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
No cutting into panels or routing of wires into the cab.

Pic of where I mounted the control box. Post #27 last pic.

daveone

Reaction score
here's where i put my.
Perfect... That was the panel I was thinking of going through. I’d prefer to go up closer to the dash, but it is a separate panel with leather, so I’m gonna stick to the plastic area.

Now I just need to figure out how to remove that panel. :unsure:

Thanks for the other pic on getting through the firewall too. Very helpful. (y)

ramButz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Is that an Oracle switch? Is the LED ring always lit, or only when it is on?

these are easy to find."Ebay,amazon.etc.when vehicle is on the outer ring lights up.to activate the whole button lights up;).

daveone

Reaction score
these are easy to find."Ebay,amazon.etc.when vehicle is on the outer ring lights up.to activate the whole button lights up;).
Cool. I ended up going with the switch that was on the harness that was provided. finished up the install today. Only problem is now my cameras aren’t working after disconnecting the battery.

Attachments

• 064EE8DD-C1B2-4464-9962-6A13A4835891.jpeg
    064EE8DD-C1B2-4464-9962-6A13A4835891.jpeg
    116.7 KB · Views: 197
  • FB031490-2468-4A73-B4DB-C3AD9A609BCA.jpeg
    FB031490-2468-4A73-B4DB-C3AD9A609BCA.jpeg
    139 KB · Views: 192

Damion

Reaction score
Get a wireless switch and program the remote to the home link buttons. I did this on my ‘16 for the lightbar I had. Worked great and no extra switches floating around in the cab.

Kimo

Reaction score
I have a question for all the people looking for a place to mount a switch to turn on and off their external light bars. There are a lot of different suggestions but I have not seen anyone do it the way I did on my last truck and how I will be doing it on my new truck.

On my last truck which was a ford, I mounted my light bar in a bumper I built and had the light and a winch.

The switch location started out like everyone here and was trying to decide where I could mount a switch. I came up with a solution I like and will use on this new truck.

The older people will ask themselves why they did not think of this. Young people will possibly not know what I'm talking about.

I installed a Bright/Dim foot switch in my last truck. Just stomp on it to turn it on and stomp again to turn off. Lives on the floor far up under dash on left side for left foot to operate.

You can get them at any auto parts store. Here is a link to the part at O'Reilly's here in Dallas.

Three terminals, one common, one brights and one dim. Just wire your light bar to one side and leave the other side empty.

It is an easy install, no holes in the dash and you can turn it on and off without taking your eyes off the road/Trail.

If you need it and don't have O'Reilly's in your area just look up the bright/dim switch on any car that is 30 years old or so. Used to be in every car back in the 50's/60's/ 70's.

Hope this solves the problem for some people.

Now if I could find a see through bumper mesh to put my light behind on my 2019 Lone Star. Seems like I have the only mesh with a backing that blocks the airflow and therefore the light. Everyone I see has the mesh with no backing. Probably will have to modify mine.

Wakesnowb

Reaction score
I have a question for all the people looking for a place to mount a switch to turn on and off their external light bars. There are a lot of different suggestions but I have not seen anyone do it the way I did on my last truck and how I will be doing it on my new truck.

On my last truck which was a ford, I mounted my light bar in a bumper I built and had the light and a winch.

The switch location started out like everyone here and was trying to decide where I could mount a switch. I came up with a solution I like and will use on this new truck.

The older people will ask themselves why they did not think of this. Young people will possibly not know what I'm talking about.

I installed a Bright/Dim foot switch in my last truck. Just stomp on it to turn it on and stomp again to turn off. Lives on the floor far up under dash on left side for left foot to operate.

You can get them at any auto parts store. Here is a link to the part at O'Reilly's here in Dallas.

Three terminals, one common, one brights and one dim. Just wire your light bar to one side and leave the other side empty.

It is an easy install, no holes in the dash and you can turn it on and off without taking your eyes off the road/Trail.

If you need it and don't have O'Reilly's in your area just look up the bright/dim switch on any car that is 30 years old or so. Used to be in every car back in the 50's/60's/ 70's.

Hope this solves the problem for some people.

Now if I could find a see through bumper mesh to put my light behind on my 2019 Lone Star. Seems like I have the only mesh with a backing that blocks the airflow and therefore the light. Everyone I see has the mesh with no backing. Probably will have to modify mine.
Did you mount using screws through the floor board? When I get my AUX light, I will probably mount a switch under the dash as to not mess with the drilling into the dash. Does not sound like many people are doing an under dash mount though.

Kimo

Reaction score
Did you mount using screws through the floor board? When I get my AUX light, I will probably mount a switch under the dash as to not mess with the drilling into the dash. Does not sound like many people are doing an under dash mount though.

Yes but they are not large and could be plugged easily. I put a dab of silicone on the screws to seal the hole when the screws are in.

JJRamTX

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It would be nice to be able to switch the rear aux lights on and off with a switch, but I just wired them into the reverse light circuit Y split off the 7 pin round tow harness. I still have more hot wires and blinkers that I may use for other accessories.

Users who are viewing this thread