5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Switch install on dash for light bar

FarmerJohn

Reaction score
I finally got the time (and courage up) to start working on my led light bar install on the front of my 2020 1500 Bighorn. I like SuperBightLeds because of prior purchases that really work to my satisfaction (cost, durability, effectiveness). The dreaded switch location was my concern, which is why I'm posting this on "interior" because I'm focused on the switch installation here.

I've seen interest in placing a switch here(Light2). If this is you, read on!

I followed the instructions for replacing the radio, which makes the center part you see here, including where I want to install that switch. Two 7MM bolts and the whole thang pops off! (light3)

Once you pry the console away from the rest of the dash, I flipped it upside down and removed the connector for the lower switches group. My lower switches turn off the front and rear sensors and traction control. Remove 2 T10-torx screws where the red arrows point. Then, slide the switch section out by gently prying on the tabs that hold it in. 2 at the top, and 2 more at the bottom. (light5)

Drill a small pilot hole, and then use the appropriate drill bit to get the size you need for the switch. Mine was round, 3/4 inches. Once the hole is done, pop in the switch and secure it with RTV or epoxy. Mine was a tight fit and didn't need anything else to securely hold it in place. (light7 & light8).

Sure wish I could embed pictures as I go, but I think you can get through this with the names listed at each step.

Jump to 2:45 for procedure of removing the dash assembly

Hope this helps the next fellow out!
FarmerJohn Light2.png

Attachments

• light3.jpg
    light3.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 187
  • light4.png
    light4.png
    667.8 KB · Views: 180
  • light5.jpg
    light5.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 186
  • light7.jpg
    light7.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 192
  • light8.jpg
    light8.jpg
    140.9 KB · Views: 193
  • light9.jpg
    light9.jpg
    107.3 KB · Views: 192
Last edited:

MannymanX

5thGenRams Supporter
Reaction score
You did a great job and it looks very good man! But idk... never liked drilling holes in the dash... I use this guy for lights or any other AUX that i need... very reliable, works every time i press it and i have one remote in the cab and one in my bed so i always have access to it...

FarmerJohn

Reaction score
You did a great job and it looks very good man! But idk... never liked drilling holes in the dash... I use this guy for lights or any other AUX that i need... very reliable, works every time i press it and i have one remote in the cab and one in my bed so i always have access to it...
I had read of options like this, including using the home link transmitter for control. For this job, I like the location and not having the need to poke my hand up or find a remote.
I figure, if I need to put an original piece back in, I can buy it from the dealer, or eventually a junk yard. I plan on keeping the truck for a long time.
I appreciate your response and link!

KodeRed

Reaction score
@FarmerJohn I know this is an old thread but I am going to attempt light bar install tomorrow and don't want to f it up. I love the switch location you chose just curious how easy the dash face came off. I am super scared i will snap a latch off and have to find a new one. Also where did you route the wires? Did you put them through the firewall where the parking brake comes through or someplace else? Thanks !

Bpebler

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Check out the thread Shifts & Grins light bar brackets - there’s a post by @ferraiolo1 where he shows what Amazon switch he uses also. Looks very simple & hidden. I didn’t want it at first glance but that’s the route I’m going so that you also don’t have to do anything to do the dash & can reuse it in the future.

Reaction score
Searched everywhere and can't find this thread.
Anyone know where I can find it?
Looking for a good spot to put my switch as well.

Bpebler

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Searched everywhere and can't find this thread.
Anyone know where I can find it?
Looking for a good spot to put my switch as well.

I’m pretty sure it’s this thread actually. Did you start from page 1 & go through it looking for his posts? He has some very good descriptions & photos.

Edit: My bad I thought this was a different thread. Scroll down to Shift & Grins no the main forum page & click on the thread 30” light bar & brackets. It’s in there. Only like 12, 13 pages.

Lezmark

Reaction score
I had read of options like this, including using the home link transmitter for control. For this job, I like the location and not having the need to poke my hand up or find a remote.
I figure, if I need to put an original piece back in, I can buy it from the dealer, or eventually a junk yard. I plan on keeping the truck for a long time.
I appreciate your response and link!
do you think that remote switch would work if its placed under the hood in the engine compartment somewhere and activated in the cab? I need something for lights and there are few options for a switch IN my truck - this could solve my problem! thanks

2019REBEL

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
do you think that remote switch would work if its placed under the hood in the engine compartment somewhere and activated in the cab? I need something for lights and there are few options for a switch IN my truck - this could solve my problem! thanks

I have the STL remote control and it works in the cap and outside the cab.

Hawkshot99

Reaction score

How do you want the light to work? Turned on by a switch manually, or auto as in when you turn your high beams on?

Here is my switch’s in my dash.
IMG_1949.jpeg
The 2 position switch controls my light bar. The switch actually just controls the relay so I have an override to make the bar not work, but the true control is my high beam switch. If I ever want the light bar, my highs will already be on.

The 3 position switch is for my extra backup lights. They can be on, off, triggered on. This could work for a light bar up front if you wanted. The wiring harness came from Diode Dynamics.

I like the switches here because they come through the firewall right behind this panel. That small panel pops off very easy, and there is a nice cavity behind the switches for the backside of the switches to recess into.

RamonaAnn

Reaction score
How do you want the light to work? Turned on by a switch manually, or auto as in when you turn your high beams on?

Here is my switch’s in my dash.
View attachment 177810
The 2 position switch controls my light bar. The switch actually just controls the relay so I have an override to make the bar not work, but the true control is my high beam switch. If I ever want the light bar, my highs will already be on.

The 3 position switch is for my extra backup lights. They can be on, off, triggered on. This could work for a light bar up front if you wanted. The wiring harness came from Diode Dynamics.

I like the switches here because they come through the firewall right behind this panel. That small panel pops off very easy, and there is a nice cavity behind the switches for the backside of the switches to recess into.
How did you wire into your high beams?

I've got trigger4 system and I hate the switching. Would rather wire my light bar to the high beams and be done.

Hawkshot99

Reaction score
How did you wire into your high beams?

I've got trigger4 system and I hate the switching. Would rather wire my light bar to the high beams and be done.
Used a regular light bar wiring harness with a relay and wired direct to the battery. I dont like having to find a small switch to turn the bar on/off so I want it to my high beams.
I cut the wire that leads into the relay as the trigger, and hook that up to my trigger source. On my old truck that was using a add-a-fuse to the high beam circuit in the fuse box, on this truck that was tapping into the wiring for the driver side high beam.
The switch on my dash, is now just a override to the light bar. If its turned on it works when I turn my highs on. If the switch is turned off, the trucks highs come on without the bar.

Users who are viewing this thread