5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sway bars

JC4041

Reaction score
The Hellwig sway bar with shipping is going to be around $300 or $200 if you are current or past military through AAFES Exchange online:

View attachment 105914

There are some minor quality issues, but they are minor and don't affect performance. Hellwig is very good to respond to questions as well. You can read about the quality issues in my unboxing post here:

Here's our impressions after installation:
  • There is a noticeable improvement. I had worried that there would no difference at all. That's not the case. The Hellwig sway bar does in fact work. We have considerably less sway in the rear end of the truck.
  • The Hellwig sway bar does not appear to affect the ride quality of the truck. Our Laramie is just as smooth as it was with the factory sway bar. And it actually feels better due to the improved handling.
  • Handling is noticeably better. My sweetie had been driving a Charger Scat Pack and my daily driver is a Charger Daytona. We are used to having vehicle that handle well, especially at high speed. The Hellwig does not turn our Ram 1500 into a high-end Charger. But it does allow the truck to handle MUCH better at high speed. There is no more dipping and swaying when taking curves fast. I'm actually very impressed at this. And I've never had a truck that handles this well.
I have the links installed in the middle holes on the sway bar. I may try the holes closest to the axle just to see how the truck feels with the sway bar in the tightest position. But then again, it feels so good now, I may just leave it where it is.

Overall, I'm very happy with this purchase. Considering I got the Hellwig sway bar for right at $200 from AFFES, it was a true bargain. Even at $300, it is going to be worth it. This is likely a great add-on for almost any 5th Gen Ram 1500.

Here's my installation write up:

Be sure to read this too:

I never even thought about going to aafes to look for one for my 09.......may have to sneak it in on the ole star card lol

@HandyCruiser What was it under, it's not pulling anything up. "not found"

Last edited:

HandyCruiser

Reaction score
I never even thought about going to aafes to look for one for my 09.......may have to sneak it in on the ole star card lol

@HandyCruiser What was it under, it's not pulling anything up. "not found"
Go to this link for auto parts. It doesn't show auto parts on the main page search.

The page will look like this:

1632097652717.png

SKT Customs

5thGenRams Vendor
5thGenRams Vendor
Reaction score
I know you’ve posted this previously, and thanks for sharing. But I will disagree with one point—a point mentioned by a number of us on old threads. There’s absolutely a tradeoff when it comes to ride quality. This is especially noticeable for those of us with the ORG that also happen to live in places with rough concrete roads (e.g. Texas). I tried the firmest setting, and I was bouncing all over the place. The softest setting rode much better while still improving handling in corners. Eventually, I went to the middle setting; I like the tight handling, but I pay for it a bit on bad pavement.
One thing almost all of us agree on is that it’s amazing how much difference a little bar can make.
I get where you’re coming from. It’s because on each stiffer setting you’re making it harder and harder for the axle to articulate. So on roads with big potholes the truck will tend to skip and bounce a little more because there’s not enough articulation. On smooth roads or small bumps it should feel totally normal. Pairing the stiff sway bar with shocks that have better compression & rebound would help to control the skip and bounce feeling! I have mine set to the middle for this same reason. Maybe once I install the BDS coils and shocks in the real I’ll try out the stiffer setting once more to see if it’s ok.

HandyCruiser

Reaction score
I know you’ve posted this previously, and thanks for sharing. But I will disagree with one point—a point mentioned by a number of us on old threads. There’s absolutely a tradeoff when it comes to ride quality. This is especially noticeable for those of us with the ORG that also happen to live in places with rough concrete roads (e.g. Texas). I tried the firmest setting, and I was bouncing all over the place. The softest setting rode much better while still improving handling in corners. Eventually, I went to the middle setting; I like the tight handling, but I pay for it a bit on bad pavement.

I get where you’re coming from. It’s because on each stiffer setting you’re making it harder and harder for the axle to articulate. So on roads with big potholes the truck will tend to skip and bounce a little more because there’s not enough articulation. On smooth roads or small bumps it should feel totally normal. Pairing the stiff sway bar with shocks that have better compression & rebound would help to control the skip and bounce feeling! I have mine set to the middle for this same reason. Maybe once I install the BDS coils and shocks in the real I’ll try out the stiffer setting once more to see if it’s ok.

I expected that too, and I do understand the mechanics of sway bars well. But we noticed no reduction in ride quality The Hellwig 7709 sway bar only has a 7/8-inch diameter. It's not as big as some of the other the bars Hellwig makes. The one they sell for my 2003 Ram is 1 1/8-inch. I suspect the 7709 is mainly for street use and may be in the size and stiffness range to help with stability but not compromise ride quality by a noticeable amount. This is likely not the sway bar you want if you haul a lot in the back of your truck.

All I can say is that my wife and I notice no difference in ride quality in our Laramie 4WD. And Arkansas has some very rough roads. For me, if my sweetie is happy with the way her truck rides and handles, I'm happy. That's all that matters.

Last edited:

jan_riefkohl

Reaction score

Hi again, let me know if you get that BDS kit installed and how it feels, thinking of getting a Hellwig sway bar down the road.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SKT Customs

5thGenRams Vendor
5thGenRams Vendor
Reaction score
Hi again, let me know if you get that BDS kit installed and how it feels, thinking of getting a Hellwig sway bar down the road.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Alright I will, but regardless of the BDS kit I 100% recommend the sway bar. Put it on the middle setting and it’s amazing!

jan_riefkohl

Reaction score
Alright I will, but regardless of the BDS kit I 100% recommend the sway bar. Put it on the middle setting and it’s amazing!

That sounds perfect! Well if I jump the gun and get the sway bar before you get the BDS kit, I’ll let you know how the stiffest setting feels. Down here in PR we have extremely rough roads so I should be able to get you an accurate description.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
I expected that too, and I do understand the mechanics of sway bars well. But we noticed no reduction in ride quality The Hellwig 7709 sway bar only has a 7/8-inch diameter. It's not as big as some of the other the bars Hellwig makes. The one they sell for my 2003 Ram is 1 1/8-inch. I suspect the 7709 is mainly for street use and may be in the size and stiffness range to help with stability but not compromise ride quality by a noticeable amount. This is likely not the sway bar you want if you haul a lot in the back of your truck.

All I can say is that my wife and I notice no difference in ride quality in our Laramie 4WD. And Arkansas has some very rough roads. For me, if my sweetie is happy with the way her truck rides and handles, I'm happy. That's all that matters.
I have to agree with this. I was going to use the middle hole when I installed mine but I forgot to check them, and sure enough, the end links wouldn't go into the holes. Rather than drill them out I just used the inside holes. My ride quality is still superb on my Limited. Just got back from a 1000 mile trip through Montana last week and it was no less comfortable than with the stock bar. And it handled the turns through the mountain passes with ease without needing to slow down like a lot of the other trucks were doing.

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
When I traded the 2020 Lone Star for the 2021 Big Horn, my wife refused to ride in the new truck after we got it home for the first three days until I got the Hellwig installed. I pulled my Hellwig off the Lone Star before trading it.

She said she was done riding around in a “slushy feeing boat in the water as it goes around corners” Ram and that was my first “upgrade”. It really does make a difference improving cornering without sacrificing ride quality. I had it in the middle hole on the Lone Star and did the same on the Big Horn.

22RebelScum

Reaction score
Has anyone just NOT ran a SWAY-Bar? My previous Trucks (Toyota Tundra and Tacoma) that was one of the first things I did. Immediately better off-roading performance and comfort.

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Has anyone just NOT ran a SWAY-Bar? My previous Trucks (Toyota Tundra and Tacoma) that was one of the first things I did. Immediately better off-roading performance and comfort.
I’ve run no sway bars on 4 daily driver trucks that had aftermarket air suspension, and a few dozen show trucks ( all but one of the show trucks were built by me, not owned). It isn’t an issue if you are aware of the body roll potential when making highway speed maneuvers.

22RebelScum

Reaction score
I’ve run no sway bars on 4 daily driver trucks that had aftermarket air suspension, and a few dozen show trucks ( all but one of the show trucks were built by me, not owned). It isn’t an issue if you are aware of the body roll potential when making highway speed maneuvers.
I only ask because if the rear coil set-up. All of my other trucks have been Leaf springs. Thanks for responding.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I only ask because if the rear coil set-up. All of my other trucks have been Leaf springs. Thanks for responding.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
It works the same for whatever type of suspension. The swaybar is only there to counteract body roll, and there were vehicles sold new without them (albeit, a really long time ago). Where it could become an issue is when you’re hauling a load and you get extreme sway that may cause a loss of traction in one or more tires.

22RebelScum

Reaction score
It works the same for whatever type of suspension. The swaybar is only there to counteract body roll, and there were vehicles sold new without them (albeit, a really long time ago). Where it could become an issue is when you’re hauling a load and you get extreme sway that may cause a loss of traction in one or more tires.
I know what they are for. I've had multiple Trucks I have taken them off of for offroading purposes. I just wasn't sure for the rear coil suspension. This is my first Ram. Thanks for the info though.

Dookie

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I've read on here where some people removed the stock sway bar and flattened it out a few inches closer to the turn-in (it's hollow) and drilled an extra hole closer in for a firmer than stock feel and better/improved handling. If you are on a tight budget, maybe try this first for a free upgrade.
FWIW, I love my Hellwig, no quality issues whatsoever, and used the grease it cam with very liberally on each bushing, no squeaks and over a year installed, still quiet as a mouse.

abranchizio

Reaction score
I bought a Hellwig rear and will be putting it on later this week. Is upgrading the front sway bar too necessary on these trucks? 2020 1500 2wd 5.7

Users who are viewing this thread