5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sway bar and TT towing

cj7

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Would a Hellwig sway bar do anything when towing?

seems to me, a sway bar only functions when the truck body is leaning (with respect to the rear axle). I don’t imagine the truck leaning much if at all when towing a big, slow turning travel trailer.

thoughts? Anybody put one on and notice any meaningful differences when towing?

silver billet

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
It definitely helped unloaded, I run around with it in the closest/firmest setting. I don't believe it did much for my truck while towing, for me the biggest issue is the "up and down" travel of the suspension. I have my WDH dialed in pretty good too, used a tape to measure everything during the process. But it was a few months in between tests (last tow vs getting swaybar installed and towing again) so my memory might be off as to how effective it is.

Reactions: cj7

Trooper4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hellwig helps sway AND body roll. It firm up the rear end no matter whether loaded, empty, or towing. Just don't forget the soft walled factory tires, and move to an E rated/stiffer sidewall tire. I run both now and it made a world of difference.

cj7

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thx for the replies.

i have towed 7k/29’ with the factory 20”, and 20” E rated Nokian M&S AT (great winter tires btw) and while the latter ride is harsher, there is hardly any diff towing.

Given how the bar is connected, it doesn’t do anything while the vertical distance between [the right wheel and ride side of the body] and [the left wheel and the left side of the body] is the same. Only when the body rolls/leans compared to the rear axle, does the bar add spring loading. So when flat, zero effect.

Technically, these are anti-roll bars, and not anti-sway bars. So great for handling fast curves, no effect otherwise. Was hoping to be convinced otherwise...

Unless I’m missing something ...

Users who are viewing this thread