5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Swapping tires XL to nonXL

FirstTimeRamDriver

Reaction score
I have 22 inch tires right now and looking at a truck with same size but XL on them. From what I can gather it is a extra load tires. Can I put non XL tires on the new truck? Does anyone know if it voids any warranty of any sort?

riccnick

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hmmm, I've never even heard of XL tires, I thought you may have been trying to say "LT" tires, but nope, a little googling shows they're a thing, lol. Sorry I'm not more helpful, I'm here for the answers too now.

FirstTimeRamDriver

Reaction score
from what i read and spoke to the service department guy, XL is for extra load, the side walls are thicker, apart from that it will fit since the rim size is what i have. my question is more regarding warranty - what happens if there is something wrong with the powertrain and they find a loophole and say - well you put non OEM tires with wrong load size so good luck

probably not worth taking the risk for 1k.... unless i can find a definitive answer

Jordan2929

Reaction score
Lighter load tires wouldn't void any warranties, except the tires if you overload them. If your dealer looks for a loophole to scam you out of a warranty it's a perfect case for any lawyer to make you a quick buck.

Bleda2002

Reaction score
Just make sure the SL you are putting on have equal to or greater than the OEM load rating. Xl itself doesn't indicate the load rating of the tire, just that it's a thicker sidewall.

Users who are viewing this thread