5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Swapping in a used ECM for 5th gen Ecodiesel

zstroken

Reaction score
Hello, I have a used ECM, that I got to mess around with. I put it in my truck and the truck will start, but immediately dies. I have use AlphOBD to program the VIN, what else am I missing?

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Ok, my question is how are others flashing ECM's with only a VIN?
Ask them how they are doing it. I would think they are doing more than only programming a vin. From my experience the key code will need to be programmed, the injectors will need to be programed, and the throttle/app needs to be programed

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
It dies because the used PCM doesn’t have the SKIM info from your existing RF Hub and BCM.
You could get away with it on the 4th gen’s by VIN and injector codes only, but on the 5th gen’s, all three of those modules need to be married together.
You need to have someone clone your current PCM to the used one, or use something like CDA6 to copy the contents of your current one, and restore the used one with that file.

zstroken

Reaction score
It dies because the used PCM doesn’t have the SKIM info from your existing RF Hub and BCM.
You could get away with it on the 4th gen’s by VIN and injector codes only, but on the 5th gen’s, all three of those modules need to be married together.
You need to have someone clone your current PCM to the used one, or use something like CDA6 to copy the contents of your current one, and restore the used one with that file.
Thanks for the info, I am curious how the custom tuners are doing it. They have an option where they don't have your clone, and just use a base clone.

Users who are viewing this thread