5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Swapping Headlight for Morimoto LED Bulbs

willogical

Reaction score
Hi RAMfam, this is my first post but most definitely not my last. I recently upgraded from a 2018 Challenger to a 2021 Ram 1500 Big Horn. My truck came with Halogen headlights and I want to upgrade to the Morimoto 2Stroke 3.0 LED bulbs. I've done extensive research (and watched a ton of YouTube reviews) and the general consensus is that they're top-of-the-line and their customer service is great.

The one question I have before I pull the trigger is -- do I need a DRL Anti Flicker module with these? I'm not entirely sure and some things I've read say no, others say yes.

Any experiences with these in particular or with LED's in general on your big horn?

Reaction score
Thinking of buying the same ones, I'm impressed with what I have read so far - let us know how it turns out.

I'm guessing that you would need the modules considering that our trucks have the CANBUS system. They are sold with an option harness that runs around $35, but then...and I don't want to muddy the water...I ran across this write up recommending a larger (more expensive) morimoto harness. Could be just marketing.

I may acquiesce and buy the Morimoto Xb complete headlight housings although that's a big leap price wise. I just don't want to have any problems out on the road.

willogical

Reaction score
Thinking of buying the same ones, I'm impressed with what I have read so far - let us know how it turns out.

I'm guessing that you would need the modules considering that our trucks have the CANBUS system. They are sold with an option harness that runs around $35, but then...and I don't want to muddy the water...I ran across this write up recommending a larger (more expensive) morimoto harness. Could be just marketing.

I may acquiesce and buy the Morimoto Xb complete headlight housings although that's a big leap price wise. I just don't want to have any problems out on the road.

I'm in the same exact boat, decision-wise. I like the complete headlight housings but want to invest those funds in a Corsa exhaust for my truck, so thought I'd go with the more affordable route for lighting and now I'm just questioning it all.

I'm not usually indecisive haha I just don't know what's going to be the most fruitful route here, you know?

Will keep everyone posted! Still hoping someone has had some experience with this.

CRAIG4FSU

Reaction score
I bought mine from Retroshop. They came with the PWM modules built in and DRL fuse tap harness. Much better than OEM halogen. The sequential turn signal option is killer.

I did upgrade my tail lights to OEM LED and it's a huge improvement too.

Last edited:

CRAIG4FSU

Reaction score
Nice. So everything came in one package? Factory look?
The reason I went with the Morimoto over the OEM LED upgrade is because the Morimoto is all black and I have the night edition Big Horn.
Which brand did you buy? Morimoto or....?
Morimoto XB. Attached pic is with DRL on. Also, brake light OEM LED upgrade.

Attachments

• 20210416_150520.jpg
    20210416_150520.jpg
    168.7 KB · Views: 96
  • 20210411_013422.jpg
    20210411_013422.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 95
Last edited:

willogical

Reaction score
I just completed the swap — Morimoto LED bulbs on the headlights with the anti-flicker module and the Morimoto fog lights. They look great, I’ll try and grab a night pic later. The fog lights look especially cool because the casing is black (vs the white OEM fogs).

Nozzleman

Reaction score
Looks awesome! Congrats! Where did you end up getting the rear LED's if I may ask?

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

Toperz

Reaction score
I'm thinking to get those bulbs for my truck too, but my question is since I have AlphaOBD do I need anything extra like those anti-flicker adapters or anything else? I don't think I have DRL.

CRAIG4FSU

Reaction score
Looks awesome! Congrats! Where did you end up getting the rear LED's if I may ask?

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk
The rear LED brake lights?

CRAIG4FSU

Reaction score
I'm thinking to get those bulbs for my truck too, but my question is since I have AlphaOBD do I need anything extra like those anti-flicker adapters or anything else? I don't think I have DRL.
I'm not familiar with the alpha program? I know that if you go from halogen to LED headlights you will need a PWM. Like I said above, the Murimoto headlight assemblies had them built in.

Parmm

Reaction score
I had the Morimoto 2Stroke 3.0 LED bulbs on my old 2018 Chevy Colorado - Loved them. Am getting up in years and have Optic Neuropathy in my right eye along with Droopy eyelids which have been operated on twice. Found the Morimoto 2Stroke 3.0 LED bulbs to really light up the road on dark nights. I only had them on the low beams. Did not get flashed any more than I did with the old Halogen lights. Got a set of them, both high and lows, for my Ram and they are being installed next week. Ordered the anti-flicker module too. Hopefully the Ram's reflectors like them as much as my old pickup did!

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online