5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Swap trailer / tow side mirrors for regular mirrors?

tobyd

Reaction score
Hi,

Prospective buyer here. I'd like the trailer tow group on a new RAM but it seems what I see on the dealer lots that have the group also has the wider mirrors as standard (2020) and optioned (2021). I do not want these mirrors --- can they easily be swapped for regular mirrors?

Thanks,
Toby.

jdmartin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hi,

Prospective buyer here. I'd like the trailer tow group on a new RAM but it seems what I see on the dealer lots that have the group also has the wider mirrors as standard (2020) and optioned (2021). I do not want these mirrors --- can they easily be swapped for regular mirrors?

Thanks,
Toby.
Ha! Depends on your definition of "easy" 😂.

It can be done but it's not cheap.

tobyd

Reaction score
Ha! Depends on your definition of "easy" 😂.

It can be done but it's not cheap.
It looks like the option to add the towing mirrors is $450 or so, but I bet a dealer would want a fair bit more than that to sell me replacements.

Granite2WD

Reaction score
I did this on my first 5th gen. I had the towing mirrors and wanted the regular ones. (I think this is what you're asking?)

It was extremely easy to find someone willing to trade regular mirrors for my towing ones.

The problems I ran into are the regular mirrors are heated, but the heating function did not work when I did the install. Maybe a change needs to be made with a computer?

Physically changing them out was very simple.

*2500 mirrors do not fit on 5th gen 1500s, and neither do 4th gen mirrors.

tobyd

Reaction score
I did this on my first 5th gen. I had the towing mirrors and wanted the regular ones. (I think this is what you're asking?)

Yes, exactly.

It was extremely easy to find someone willing to trade regular mirrors for my towing ones. Physically changing them out was very simple.

Nice, that's exactly what I was hoping for. Obviously coordinating with them to do the swap might be tricky as I assume we can't each drive around without side mirrors for a week while waiting on UPS to trade them.

The problems I ran into are the regular mirrors are heated, but the heating function did not work when I did the install. Maybe a change needs to be made with a computer?

Huh, I was expecting there to be a kicker. Maybe something AlphaOBD could handle?

Granite2WD

Reaction score
Yes, exactly.

Nice, that's exactly what I was hoping for. Obviously coordinating with them to do the swap might be tricky as I assume we can't each drive around without side mirrors for a week while waiting on UPS to trade them.

Huh, I was expecting there to be a kicker. Maybe something AlphaOBD could handle?
If you live in a populated area you will have no shortage of people begging to trade for your mirrors. I met someone local and we did the switch in a parking lot in well under an hour. I'm not a mechanic and it was easy.

All of the plugs from the standard/heating mirrors attached to my truck and I'm sure it's a computer thing to get the heating to work. It didn't bother me and I didn't pursue it before I got rid of the truck.

tobyd

Reaction score
If you live in a populated area you will have no shortage of people begging to trade for your mirrors. I met someone local and we did the switch in a parking lot in well under an hour. I'm not a mechanic and it was easy.

All of the plugs from the standard/heating mirrors attached to my truck and I'm sure it's a computer thing to get the heating to work. It didn't bother me and I didn't pursue it before I got rid of the truck.

I'm in the Colorado Front Range, so there's about 4 million people within an hour of me. Lots of RAMs. I should be able to find someone!

Great to know it's possible, and a simple swap (outside of getting the heating to work, which could be a simple software config.) If someone happened to know how to enable the heaters it'd be handy to have that posted in here.

mikestoys

Reaction score
Hi,

Thanks,
Toby.
I have a 21 limited with full function trailer tow mirrors & wanted the regular limited mirrors . When I swapped them out the camera was @ the wrong angle , The dealer said they couldn't change them because my VIN specified Trailer tow mirrors -FCA told me the same ? Can anyone help ?

Users who are viewing this thread